Dalvin Cook to visit Cowboys

Havic

Reaction score
I'm not down on this looksie at all. I doubted Darren McFadden after he turned in not one, not two but three 3.3 ypc seasons in a row with the Raiders and then pops for 4.6 and 1,000 yards with us. McFadden was 28 at the time and Cook is 29 and was a bit more explosive than McFadden ever was in his heyday. He won't have to be the horse he was in Minny either. I like this.
1075 of Cooks total NFL carries came within a 4 year span before his massive drop off with the Jets. TON OF WEAR. McFadden for a 5 year span before signing with Dallas had 821 carries, then he fell off the map in his one good year with us. A McFadden type situation would be ideal but I feel like Cooks has just as much wear if not more than Zeke at this stage in both their careers. Doesn't look good imo, even at league min.

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
I'm ok with Cooks potentially signing. He didn't have a lot of touches last season and as a result didn't get beat up, and that's a good thing coming off an injury. He's always been the type of back that needed touches, as he would get stronger throughout the game. That being said, can Cooks and Zeke complement each other with getting around 10 to 12 touches a game? Some want to bring up stats from last year, and rightfully so, but both Cooks and Zeke were on horrid offensive teams with terrible QB play. Both backs had to face loaded fronts, and I know the Jets had OL injuries as well.
I'm not saying that Cooks and Zeke will find the fountain of youth, but what they do bring is experience and both are sufficient in pass blocking. As a duo can they give us a year?

I would think Dowdle would be the third back because of his value to ST, and Deuce to PS.

irishline

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He was coming off injury and never got a chance.
He injured his shoulder week 3 of 2022. Played every game after that. The surgery in February of 2023 was just to stabilize the shoulder he played 13 games with after injuring (and the doctors said he was basically 100% in April last year). Didn't realize he needed a year to recover from that to regain any speed he had. Come on man.

Havic

Reaction score
He injured his shoulder week 3 of 2022. Played every game after that. The surgery was just to stabilize the shoulder he played 13 games with after injuring. Come on man.
stop being negative, I mean realistic.

starfan1

Reaction score
I’m not a huge zeke fan and I think he’s been over rated at times in his career but I think now he gets a bit disrespected. If the line blocks he’ll be serviceable

I don’t think cook is gonna bring much to the table that zeke doesn’t have at this point

I think we don’t have a rb that isn’t flawed in some ways dowdle is probably the best of the bunch now

Zeke= too slow now
Dowdle= too injured
Freeman= too slow now
Duece= too small can’t block
Luepke nor even sure what he brings to table
Cook would just be another bargain bin has been

Not sure who they are keeping but my preference

Zeke , Rico , Duece ( reluctantly)

Keep freeman over luepke

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He injured his shoulder week 3 of 2022. Played every game after that. The surgery in February of 2023 was just to stabilize the shoulder he played 13 games with after injuring (and the doctors said he was basically 100% in April last year). Didn't realize he needed a year to recover from that to regain any speed he had. Come on man.
That is something that would keep him from working out. But not sure you can't get it going after April.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Dalvin Cook is better than Zeke at this point in his career.

Here's the thing, though: will Jerry elect to cut Zeke in favor of keeping Cook around?

Here's something to ponder, when push inevitably comes to shove! Will Jerry part with Zeke?
It's just enough to make one wonder more than once, if that might happen to be the case at hand. :huh:

rambo2

Reaction score
So poor. What a wasted offseason. Everyone knew we had very little talent at rb and DT. To try to fill both note with old veterans is bad. You could have gotten a much better player who was younger for a few million.

Very seldom do these running backs on their third team after two poor ends with previous teams work out. Although he may be better then Dowdle and Zeke.

If we struggle this year, no fans better not Jerry do his okie dokie trick by bringing a new coach. It is on him.
We haven't even played a game yet.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Cool is beyond worst. Literally the worst rb in the NFL last year.
Whoa -- that sounds somewhat (maybe objectively?) negative -- wonder if there's room for both Cook and Zeke on the same team. H-m-m.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't be surprised if Dalvin Cook is better than Zeke at this point in his career.

Here's the thing, though: will Jerry elect to cut Zeke in favor of keeping Cook around?

Here's something to ponder, when push inevitably comes to shove! Will Jerry part with Zeke?
It's just enough to make one wonder more than once, if that might happen to be the case at hand. :huh:
Maybe Jerry is flirting with Cook as a negotiating ploy with Prescott.

You either sign the deal or it's back to a long distance relationship.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Lets discuss all possibilities. What if both Zeke and Cook regain their rookie burst?
Interesting thought. Do we know of any situation where a seven or eight year running back in the NFL was fast as his rookie or sophomore year?

Or more productive after year eight?

Not sure on the first question because no one posts 40 times for veterans to gauge loss of foot speed.

But for the second question only top Hall of Fame players like Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Curtis Martin, Adrian Peterson, Thurman Thomas, Tony Dorsett and Emmit Smith had productive years after year 8. Thomas and Dorsett only in year 9 before the wheels fell off.

Guys like Dickerson, Chris Johnson, Eddie George, Ladanian Tomlinson, Marshall Faulk and Earl Campbell drove off the cliff after year 8 - which is where Zeke is right now. Cook is in year 7.

If we haave both Zeke and Cook on the roster then I am guessing we are a power running team by committee, and possibly pass first and run second.