Damien Wilson: Resign or Sayōnara?

eastsideboy

Reaction score
Wilson has played his best football this season albeit he’s not a world beater.

Simple question....do we resign him (FA in 2019) or let him walk and see if we can add a third killer to the lineup?
Like everybody else it depends on how much he wants

Knotamus

Reaction score
My initial thought...Since this will more than likely be his only true ‘big’ payday, Wilson should go to the highest bidder much like Hitchens last year. (I wouldn’t blame him if he does) So this should be a no-brainer..Dallas should be able to replace his production (110tck-2.5scks in four years) via the draft.

But let me throw this curve ball out there.. What If Dallas decides to save cap space and cut Sean Lee next year. Don’t blame me for brainstorming here.. we all know Lee is getting older, injuries are piling up, and The Wolf Hunter is already howling.. not to mention we have a lot of young players due for contracts. That said, would it be ‘good business’ to keep Wilson around for $3-4mil a year, if they decide Lee’s contract isn’t living up to production? <shrug> Just a thought.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Chris Covington was drafted for depth making him a solid candidate to take over SAM.

Wilson is decent, so there's a chance he comes back at team friendly number.

Re-sign 1 year deal.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score

Simple question....do we resign him (FA in 2019) or let him walk and see if we can add a third killer to the lineup?

He’s gone, have Sean lee play his snaps next season.

Verdict

Reaction score
My initial thought...Since this will more than likely be his only true ‘big’ payday, Wilson should go to the highest bidder much like Hitchens last year. (I wouldn’t blame him if he does) So this should be a no-brainer..Dallas should be able to replace his production (110tck-2.5scks in four years) via the draft.

But let me throw this curve ball out there.. What If Dallas decides to save cap space and cut Sean Lee next year. Don’t blame me for brainstorming here.. we all know Lee is getting older, injuries are piling up, and The Wolf Hunter is already howling.. not to mention we have a lot of young players due for contracts. That said, would it be ‘good business’ to keep Wilson around for $3-4mil a year, if they decide Lee’s contract isn’t living up to production? <shrug> Just a thought.

Wilson won't get paid that much to play 14 percent of the snaps. I'm all for keeping him if it's cheap. 1.5 million per year ish.

He is worth more than the vet minimum simply because he is already in the system
And you know what you have in him. But that's plenty of cash for him.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Wilson won't get paid that much to play 14 percent of the snaps. I'm all for keeping him if it's cheap. 1.5 million per year ish.

He is worth more than the vet minimum simply because he is already in the system
And you know what you have in him. But that's plenty of cash for him.

Joe Thomas came here from Green Bay to be the 4th LB and play special teams for 2 years, $3.6 million, so $1.5 mil sounds about right. That $1.8 mil Thomas money would be my top dollar for Wilson, and I think that's about what his market around the league will look like as well.

Covington and JML play for less than half that though.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He's not that bad, it just appears that way because he works next to two stud LB'ers. I say resign him and let him continue to get better working next to the studs.

J12B

Reaction score
He’ll probably get a bigger offer than we’re willing to match. I think he and Beasley are the two guys we lose this offseason that we’d like to keep.

I think we’ll resign Lawrence, Austin and Swaim for sure. We’ll probably resign Fleming and Irving because they won’t command big money.

Why would we resign Austin and let Beasley walk?

Austin has played like 3 games this season and is injury prone

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

How much?

A Joe Thomas type contract?

Snap counts (on defense) for the season:
Wilson 27%
Jaylon 95%
Vander Esch 75%
Lee 25.5%

links18

Reaction score
Need bodies at the position and there are other needs to fill with FA and the draft. What kind of contract are we talking?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

We only sign him if the league isn't interested. Maybe not even then.

Who was the dude we couldn't live without this year? Hitchens? We survived. And Wilson is nowhere near Hitchens.

Next year we still have the rights to Joe Thomas, Justin March, and Chris Covington. Remember when Joe Thomas was a big deal? Covington about the same size as Wilson, and everyone seems to like him.

The real question for next year is Lee. I'd rather keep him and play all 3, but he has to show he can get beyond his hammy this year.