Damien Wilson: Resign or Sayōnara?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His best football isn't that good. He's OK going downhill but gets whipped in coverage.

I don't think he's doing anything that JML or Covington couldn't.

I think Covington is the player ticketed to replace him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My initial thought...Since this will more than likely be his only true ‘big’ payday, Wilson should go to the highest bidder much like Hitchens last year. (I wouldn’t blame him if he does) So this should be a no-brainer..Dallas should be able to replace his production (110tck-2.5scks in four years) via the draft.

But let me throw this curve ball out there.. What If Dallas decides to save cap space and cut Sean Lee next year. Don’t blame me for brainstorming here.. we all know Lee is getting older, injuries are piling up, and The Wolf Hunter is already howling.. not to mention we have a lot of young players due for contracts. That said, would it be ‘good business’ to keep Wilson around for $3-4mil a year, if they decide Lee’s contract isn’t living up to production? <shrug> Just a thought.

I would say no.

There are too many other big ticket items on deck, like:
  • Lawrence
  • Byron Jones
  • Cooper
  • Prescott
  • Elliott
  • Jaylon Smith
  • Randy Gregory
Depending on who they decide to keep, or who they want to add - say an Earl Thomas - that $3 - $4 million a year is better spent elsewhere rather than a position you would ideally like to upgrade.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would we resign Austin and let Beasley walk?

Austin has played like 3 games this season and is injury prone

In a word? Cheaper. If Austin comes cheaper than Beasley, you keep him. Beasley seems to think he's worth a lot of money. That would have to happen elsewhere.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Nope.....said in another thread our focus over the next couple years will be CORE players.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
His best football isn't that good. He's OK going downhill but gets whipped in coverage.

I don't think he's doing anything that JML or Covington couldn't.
JML is a speedster but I don't think he's cut out for defense. Good special teams player.

lkelly

Reaction score
Could let him compete with a rookie for a spot. Put them both in separate pickup trucks next to a single parking spot.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Why would we resign Austin and let Beasley walk?

Austin has played like 3 games this season and is injury prone
I think Bease is tired of inconsistent QB play & wants to go somewhere his talents can be on full display. if that is the case, he may not listen to our offers.

conner01

Reaction score
All teams needs back ups and special teams players.
Exactly
He’s a decent player
But the issue comes down to money as always
Even a cheap second contract is expensive
You need some of the decent players who help on ST but you also need to replace some with draft picks

Verdict

Reaction score
Joe Thomas came here from Green Bay to be the 4th LB and play special teams for 2 years, $3.6 million, so $1.5 mil sounds about right. That $1.8 mil Thomas money would be my top dollar for Wilson, and I think that's about what his market around the league will look like as well.

Covington and JML play for less than half that though.

Yeah. Can't overpay for average talent, and he seems to have off the field issues.

He seems to valstly improve though in his contract year, which is no surprise. We should be able to get a linebacker of his ability level in the 3rd-6th rounds, or maybe even in free agency.

But as the rock group "Cinderella" used to sing "You don't know what you've got until it's gone".

Verdict

Reaction score
How much?

A Joe Thomas type contract?

Snap counts (on defense) for the season:
Wilson 27%
Jaylon 95%
Vander Esch 75%
Lee 25.5%

He's not worth a lot in terms of cap. But we also have to find a guy who isn't a complete liability for those 27 percent of the snaps. This defense is pretty sound, and I would think that he is at least part of that.

Having said that, get him signed to a team friendly deal he f we can, and if not churn and find someone else. He's not irreplaceable.

Any idea what they had in mind with Covington when he was drafted?

Sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
You can replace him in the draft. You can replace him with Covington. You have to be willing to let backup linebackers go.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Hes played ok....we wouldnt miss him though...hes just another guy

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
We will be writing out some huge checks next year and his potential deal won’t be a big one. My guess is he gets more from somewhere else and we give more reps to cheaper guys.

Reaction score
Much like Hitchens, Wilson will probably get a deal that's richer than what he's really worth from another team. In today's NFL, you want to give a 2nd contract to only those players who you cannot afford to let walk.

John813

Reaction score
Let him hit the market and see if he is still unsigned a week or two in.

A Joe Thomas deal wouldn't be bad if he sits for a while as an UFA

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Depends on the contract.

Too many people are chiming in, saying we should let him go, but this is the only real answer. Depends on the contract. He’s better than the other SAM LBs on the roster, but not worth paying big money to. If we can retain him cheap, then why not.