Video: Dan Patrick on Zeke Situation; some NFL owners want him punished

bigbob

Reaction score
Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Jones Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara Mara

That's 32, did I miss anyone?
"lol" you guys need to use your heads better.
NBC want's ny game wk 1 because it is a ratings giant it has been for years.
If they play week 7 and one or both have bad records it will not get the same high ratings.
Now about suspension's Mara has no special powers lol he can and should
Holler for Elliot to be suspended or any other cowboys players that is just being smart.
The cowboys draft these Problem guys
And then can't keep them in line.
That's on the Jones and Garrett not on Mara or the NFL.
Elliot could be a problem child If they don't have a long talk with him.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Bottom line, if you believe Dan Patrick to be informative and legit, he basically tells you who it is that
is in Goodell's ear. Just listen... some owners, a couple owners... at least one owner. Bingo.
It's Mara! And the bullheaded ones can cry all they want about conspiracy theorists and such.

Go back and watch his interview from the Miles Austin contract saga. He said the Cowboys were damn lucky
they didn't lose a draft pick. Just look at the hate in his face.

Also, it's a bit condescending to call this the Drama Zone. The Rant Zone was just fine.

aria

Reaction score
Bottom line, if you believe Dan Patrick to be informative and legit, he basically tells you who it is that
is in Goodell's ear. Just listen... some owners, a couple owners... at least one owner. Bingo.
It's Mara! And the bullheaded ones can cry all they want about conspiracy theorists and such.

Go back and watch his interview from the Miles Austin contract saga. He said the Cowboys were damn lucky

Also, it's a bit condescending to call this the Drama Zone. The Rant Zone was just fine.
And please tell me exactly why Goodell would a) listen to Mara and b) want the Cowboys to lose?

Mara: Hey Roger, have you been watching that Elliot guy down there in Dallas? He seems like a real trouble maker. I want you to do everything you can to be be sure he's suspended for as many games possible. He almost beat us twice last year and I don't want to take any chances.

Goodell: Geez, I don't know Mr Mara. That sounds awfully risky and you know the guys on Cowboyzone.com are on to us plus they're reading through the lines of the media they loath and despise to figure out what we're up to. Dan Patrick almost came right out and said it!

Mara: Oh c'mon Roger, you know you hate Jerry as much as I do, heck everyone knows that. Even the guys on Cowboyzone know that. Please? I can't bare to see them in the playoffs AGAIN! They've been dominating our division for 20 years and I need it to stop now! They're on the verge of being the only team to win the division 2 years in a row for the first time in years. I can't have that Roger, I just can't. That will destroy the Giants franchise.

Goodell: You bring up some great points Mr Mara but you know they are the most profitable team in the NFL.

Mara: Huh?

Goodell: And they're the most popular team in the NFL and recognizable across the world.

Mara: But Roger...

Goodell: And they bring in the highest ratings year after year, even when they're worse than the Giants.

Mara: I don't believe you.

Goodell: You know high ratings and more money make me look good and help me keep my job, finding reasons to suspend their star doesn't.

Mara: You make some good points Roger. I tell ya what, I'll buy you a nice steak dinner and throw in a shiny nickel!

Goodell: Hmmmm...a shiny nickel you say? Done deal! Congratulations Mr Mara, here's to holding down the Cowboys one more time. Next year you better come up with a better offer, it's not getting any easier to suspend these guys.

Mara: Don't worry, the draft is only 8 months away. I'm sure Jerry will help us out again.

(Shake hands)

aria

Reaction score
Rogers office (phone ringing)

Roger: Hello

Jerry: Howdy Mr Commissioner, Jerry Jones here!

Roger: Yeah...what do you want?

Jerry: Well, I uh, uh, I uh just wanted to let you know what a great job you've been doing.

Roger: What do you want Jerry?

Jerry: I, uh, well Roger, I know things don't look to good down here in the big D but I just want to let you know I have everything under control. I've already spoken to Ezekial and he'll be just fine.

Roger: Is that right?

Jerry: Yes sir Mr Commissioner! I also wanted to save you a little time in your investigation with Zeke as I'm sure you have more important things to do. I, uh, we...well, we've been working closely with the Dallas police department and it's the dangest thing...we can't find any witnesses to talk!

Roger: Go on

Jerry: Well, uh, there was a club full of people but apparently no one saw anything so you shouldn't even waste your time. Oh, and the uh, DJ victim guy, he can't be found either! On top of that he didn't even care who broke his nose and sent him to the hospital because he gave the police false contact information.

Roger: Sorry Jerry, as much as your team means to the NFL I've already spoken to Mr Mara and he's convinced me that suspending Mr Elliot is more important then seeing your team in the Super Bowl and possibly giving us the highest ratings ever. Not only that, he offered me a shiny nickel.

Jerry: Uh, uh...I tell you what Mr Comissioner I'll double that shiny nickel. Heck, I'll triple it! Plus you know how good it will make you look and how much money it will bring to the NFL if we do make it to the Super Bowl?

Roger: Yes I do Jerry, but as I've said, I've already spoken to Mr Mara and he offered me a shiny nickel. I can't help you out, there will be a full investigation.

Jerry: Uh uh uh...

Roger: Are you done Jerry? Mr Mara is on the other line and I hate to keep him waiting, everyone knows he's the one really running the show.

Jerry: Can't you help me out Roger?

Roger: Listen Jerry, I already give you more prime time games then most teams and it's always been that way, even when you weren't good. I've given you the first game of the season at home for several years now. I've helped you build your empire with exposure Jerry. I even let a guy who killed someone come back and play for you, I just can't keep doing this. At some point you need to hire a real GM, stop taking high risk players and start winning playoff games.

Jerry: Well, I uh, I uh...you know I can't stop being GM even though I said I would fire myself. That's just too much power to give...

Roger: I can't solve all of your problems, good bye Jerry.

(click)

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
And please tell me exactly why Goodell would a) listen to Mara and b) want the Cowboys to lose?

Goodell has proven time and time again that he has particular owners he will be a sock puppet for. One of those was Robert Kraft who Goodell helped cover up the SpyGate scandal for. So, you could wonder why Goodell supported 1 particular owner over the other 31 owners in the league. It wasn't until the Brady situation that came along that Goodell couldn't ignore that the Patriots were cheating, again.

So, if Goodell is willing to cover up for the Patriots one could logically state that Goodell would possibly stick up for other particular owners.

John Mara's father, Wellington Mara, was well respected in the NFL because he could have been the owner that could have shut down any chance of the salary cap being in the NFL and effectively crushed organizations like Green Bay, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, etc because they were so small market that they couldn't compete in a no salary cap league. Goodell also grew up in the Bronxville area of NY which is about 20 minutes from Manhattan and presumable grew up a Giants fan. And supposedly Mara and Kraft were Goodell's biggest advocates for hiring him as the commissioner.

Let's also not forget the salary cap penalty that the Cowboys (and Commanders) were levied. This was widely reported as being brought forth by Mara. Despite the Saints and Bears 'violating' the no cap agreement the only teams that were punished were the Cowboys and Commanders.

Goodell has proven that he will favor certain owners, that he has been influenced greatly by Mara in the past and that Mara has more pull given his father's contributions to the game and Mara being one of the biggest advocates for Goodell's hiring...a job that he was/is completely unqualified for.

The questions should be 'why wouldn't Goodell listen to Mara?'

YR

aria

Reaction score
Goodell has proven time and time again that he has particular owners he will be a sock puppet for. One of those was Robert Kraft who Goodell helped cover up the SpyGate scandal for. So, you could wonder why Goodell supported 1 particular owner over the other 31 owners in the league. It wasn't until the Brady situation that came along that Goodell couldn't ignore that the Patriots were cheating, again.

So, if Goodell is willing to cover up for the Patriots one could logically state that Goodell would possibly stick up for other particular owners.

John Mara's father, Wellington Mara, was well respected in the NFL because he could have been the owner that could have shut down any chance of the salary cap being in the NFL and effectively crushed organizations like Green Bay, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, etc because they were so small market that they couldn't compete in a no salary cap league. Goodell also grew up in the Bronxville area of NY which is about 20 minutes from Manhattan and presumable grew up a Giants fan. And supposedly Mara and Kraft were Goodell's biggest advocates for hiring him as the commissioner.

Let's also not forget the salary cap penalty that the Cowboys (and Commanders) were levied. This was widely reported as being brought forth by Mara. Despite the Saints and Bears 'violating' the no cap agreement the only teams that were punished were the Cowboys and Commanders.

Goodell has proven that he will favor certain owners, that he has been influenced greatly by Mara in the past and that Mara has more pull given his father's contributions to the game and Mara being one of the biggest advocates for Goodell's hiring...a job that he was/is completely unqualified for.

YR
Once again, well thought out post. So everyone assumed Goodell favored the Patriots until he couldn't ignore one of the most ridiculous claims imaginable? He helped cover spy gate which they seemed to have more evidence on but couldn't help cover up or ignore the 2-3 psi difference in a football? Kind of hard to believe, but I'll go with it.

Wellington and his son are two different people in two different era's, what you're stating may be true, just like Goodell growing up in the Bronx and Kraft and Mara supporting Goodell but that doesn't prove anything. As you said "presumable" and "supposedly" is far from fact. So those are assumptions.

Please inform me how the Saints and Bears violated the agreement, I honestly am not aware. I don't care if it was Mara who pusehed for the fine, the owners had a "handshake gentlemens agreement" and Snyder and Jerry (two known buddies) violated that agreement in an attempt to gain an unfair advantage. It was a slimy move and another reason I despise Jerry. Even if Mara spearheaded it, no other owners stood up for Jerry or Snyder. If Mara and Lurie were 2 of 32 owners to do that, would you not have a problem with it?

And again, what does Goodell have to gain by "punishing" his biggest money maker and ratings machine?

No doubt Goodell isn't qualified.

Sydla

Reaction score
Once again, well thought out post. So everyone assumed Goodell favored the Patriots until he couldn't ignore one of the most ridiculous claims imaginable? He helped cover spy gate which they seemed to have more evidence on but couldn't help cover up or ignore the 2-3 psi difference in a football? Kind of hard to believe, but I'll go with it.

Wellington and his son are two different people in two different era's, what you're stating may be true, just like Goodell growing up in the Bronx and Kraft and Mara supporting Goodell but that doesn't prove anything. As you said "presumable" and "supposedly" is far from fact. So those are assumptions.

Please inform me how the Saints and Bears violated the agreement, I honestly am not aware. I don't care if it was Mara who pusehed for the fine, the owners had a "handshake gentlemens agreement" and Snyder and Jerry (two known buddies) violated that agreement in an attempt to gain an unfair advantage. It was a slimy move and another reason I despise Jerry. Even if Mara spearheaded it, no other owners stood up for Jerry or Snyder. If Mara and Lurie were 2 of 32 owners to do that, would you not have a problem with it?

And again, what does Goodell have to gain by "punishing" his biggest money maker and ratings machine?

No doubt Goodell isn't qualified.

Cowboys and Commanders were technically correct. But Jones and Snyder knew if they pushed this in court and could prove collusion, it would open a huge can of worms for the NFL. So they played good soldiers and bit the bullet.

It's one of the times I had a real problem with Jones. He should have fought that thing tooth and nail and based on many legal opinions, he and Synder likely could have won.

The Bears and Saints also manipulated some contracts in the uncapped year but not to the extent the Cowboys and Bears did. They also got punished. Their punishment was that they couldn't share in the extra cap space docked from the Cowboys and Commanders that was spread around to other teams.

It was reported that it was Mara who spearheaded the whole thing.

aria

Reaction score
Cowboys and Commanders were technically correct. But Jones and Snyder knew if they pushed this in court and could prove collusion, it would open a huge can of worms for the NFL. So they played good soldiers and bit the bullet.

It's one of the times I had a real problem with Jones. He should have fought that thing tooth and nail and based on many legal opinions, he and Synder likely could have won.

The Bears and Saints also manipulated some contracts in the uncapped year but not to the extent the Cowboys and Bears did. They also got punished. Their punishment was that they couldn't share in the extra cap space docked from the Cowboys and Commanders that was spread around to other teams.

Thanks for the info, I did a little more digging myself and saw one or two very small mention of the Saints and like you said it wasn't near to the extent of the Skins and Boys so they weren't punished to the same degree. They also loss to an independent arbitrator not just Mara, Goodell and the rest of the owners.

Out of curiosity, why do support Jerry on this?Yes, technically it wasn't against the rules but they knowingly broke a gentlemens agreement trying to gain an unfair advantage.

Personally, if a friend did that to me he wouldn't be a friend anymore.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I did a little more digging myself and saw one or two very small mention of the Saints and like you said it wasn't near to the extent of the Skins and Boys so they weren't punished to the same degree. They also loss to an independent arbitrator not just Mara, Goodell and the rest of the owners.

Out of curiosity, why do support Jerry on this?Yes, technically it wasn't against the rules but they knowingly broke a gentlemens agreement trying to gain an unfair advantage.

Personally, if a friend did that to me he wouldn't be a friend anymore.

Because what the other owners did was collusion. And gentlemens agreement or not, Jones should be able to do what he thinks is right by his franchise first, not what the other owners want.

The arbitrator for this case has been described as pro-NFL so it wasn't a surprise he ruled in the NFL's favor here.

Comparing this to friends is a stretch IMO. Most legal experts and analysts have all agreed, the NFL screwed the Cowboys and Commanders.

aria

Reaction score
Because what the other owners did was collusion. And gentlemens agreement or not, Jones should be able to do what he thinks is right by his franchise first, not what the other owners want.

Fair enough but I still disagree. Based on that logic, then I assume you have no problem with Mara pushing for a Zeke suspension (according to the insiders here) or doing anything else Mara does as long as it's within his rights as an owner?

visionary

Reaction score

Don't worry
Jerry will stand up for Zeke :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sydla

Reaction score
Fair enough but I still disagree. Based on that logic, then I assume you have no problem with Mara pushing for a Zeke suspension (according to the insiders here) or doing anything else Mara does as long as it's within his rights as an owner?

No. Because what Mara is doing is pushing for the league to try to punish a rival player without any real evidence. That's not even in the same realm of what Jones did.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I just want to see the evidence. If Zeke did this than I have no problem with him being suspended but when she admits to wanting to set him up and have people lie for her than that's another thing . As for the rest Zeke does need to cool it for awhile. Let things settle down. He is a target. Don't really care about Mara and the others. They are all hypocrites anyway. Josh Brown anyone? They talk about caring about DV but they don't. It's all public perception that they care about. And that's what all this NFL investigating is really about. They want to look good.

visionary

Reaction score

YR

All of what you say may be true but Goodell cannot and will not levy unjustified punishment if jerry stands up against it because the owner of the richest and most prominent NFL franchise holds a LOT of power

Unfortunately jerry uses his chips only when his money is directly affected

So say goodbye to Zeke for at least 1 game

aria

Reaction score
No. Because what Mara is doing is pushing for the league to try to punish a rival player without any real evidence. That's not even in the same realm of what Jones did.
First of all, how do you know Mara is behind any of this? You're claiming he's pushing for punishment with no evidence yet you don't have any evidence that Mara is pulling the strings. A bit hypocritical, don't ya think?

Second of all, we don't even know what "evidence" the NFL has or doesn't have. I've always agreed what we know about the DV issue is BS but until everything comes out we may not know all the facts. People complain about a "witch hunt" against Zeke based on assumptions which is the same thing they're doing with Mara.

Even if Mara was pushing for a punishment, that falls on Goodell. As you said Mara is just "doing what he thinks is right by his franchise first" and so far there is no evidence he has done anything illegal or agai st the rules.

I'm obviously playing devils advocate because I think these claims are mostly ridiculous, a stretch at best, and hypocritical. It's time for the Cowboys players and Jerry to take responsibility for their own actions and the fans should realize that instead of pointing the finger and making excuses.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
YR

John Mara chaired the committee in charge of imposing the penalties. This isn't rumor, hear-say, etc...it's fact.

Cliff-notes on the salary cap fiasco:
http://www.espn.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/37421/im-not-sure-john-mara-should-be-talking

"I thought the penalties imposed were proper. What they did was in violation of the spirit of the salary cap. They attempted to take advantage of a one-year loophole, and quite frankly, I think they're lucky they didn't lose draft picks."
- John Mara