Dan Quinn as head coach is overrated

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
It an offensive league and anybody hiring a defensive coach will fail. Quinn was only successful in Atlanta while shanahan was there to run the offense and Matt Ryan. Once shanahan left Atlanta went down fast.
Shanahans offense still owns Quinn he better figure that out before he goes to Seattle where he will be looking up at shanahan every week

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
You are following the media hype, as I am. Issues though: the dude in Houston is doing okay, and a Defensive HC can do just fine with a stud OC not named Kellen

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
I think there's definitely some merit to this argument. Who is Quinn going to hire as his OC? Kellen Moore? Darrell Bevell?

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
You are following the media hype, as I am. Issues though: the dude in Houston is doing okay, and a Defensive HC can do just fine with a stud OC not named Kellen
Yeah, but not everyone has a Bobby Slowik they can bring with them.

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
Exactly. Goodbye defensive minded HCs. See Vrabel. See Rivera. See many more.

If you're a GM these days and want to keep your job, you're probably going to hire an offensive minded HC who can get himself a damn good DC.

Boom.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
Maybe somebody can hire Brian ferantz as an O.C. He is available and has only coached Iowa in defense to last place in CFB three years in a row. And daddy still wanted to keep him

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Didn’t seem to hurt the Patriots.
Quinn took a crap team like Atlanta to the SB and a halftime lead over NE before they imploded. People tend to focus on the final failure and being fired instead of what a coach built and accomplished.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Different situations can produce different results.

Look at Pete Carroll. After his stint in New England people were saying similar things about him, that he was a better coordinator/college coach. He had to win Nattys at USC to get another shot at the NFL and then ran into a situation that worked for him in Seattle.

All that and Carroll never had the kind of success with the Patriots or Jets that Quinn had in Atlanta.

Aven8

Reaction score
Get to play SF and Rams. Great city but not a good situation without a QB

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Didn’t seem to hurt the Patriots.
Quinn took a crap team like Atlanta to the SB and a halftime lead over NE before they imploded. People tend to focus on the final failure and being fired instead of what a coach built and accomplished.
They had the league MVP that year. They weren’t a crap team back then

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
ya, no one knows yet if he'll be a good HC but I guarantee that he'll get an offer or two.

I still think he stays with the Cowboys though.

Pentagruel

Reaction score
I always find it interesting that the NFL in general has a very high opinion of Dan while the fans largely think of him as a failure. It’s not that uncommon for that kind of disconnect but rarely is the difference of opinion as stark as it is with Dan Quinn.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It an offensive league and anybody hiring a defensive coach will fail. Quinn was only successful in Atlanta while shanahan was there to run the offense and Matt Ryan. Once shanahan left Atlanta went down fast.
Shanahans offense still owns Quinn he better figure that out before he goes to Seattle where he will be looking up at shanahan every week
head coach is responsible for both offense and defense and depending on your background you bring in your counter part to manage the other side.

but SF, Ravens, have top defenses. both are #1 seed. we struggled until the defense improved. Cleveland made it because of their defense. helped them get through the season.

now having a good offense to go along with your defense, that's championship level stuff.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok, no whining when he leaves and you're offensive juggernaut with your offensive coach craps out next year. As I recall we died in SF last January 19-12
Yeah, somebody got owned.

Toro9

Reaction score
If I were him I wouldn't take a HC job until he stops getting blown out every 5-6 weeks

Gambit

Reaction score
I always find it interesting that the NFL in general has a very high opinion of Dan while the fans largely think of him as a failure. It’s not that uncommon for that kind of disconnect but rarely is the difference of opinion as stark as it is with Dan Quinn.
I think most fans "low" opinion as it relates to him getting a HC gig is really them not admitting they don't want to lose him as DC.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thinking DQ isn’t a good HC assumes:
  • A. He hasn’t learned anything or grown as a coach since he left Atlanta.
  • B. He won’t be able to show what he’s learned since he came to Dallas.
  • C. You forgot that he already has an NFC championship on his resume as a HC in the past.
Dan Quinn’s excellence as a defensive coordinator tells me he is committed to excellence, growing and learning as a professional. I don’t know if he will be successful as a HC somewhere else, but assuming he cannot be a good HC is not a fair assumption in my opinion.

Gambit

Reaction score
If I were him I wouldn't take a HC job until he stops getting blown out every 5-6 weeks
Dallas has been blown out every 5-6 weeks?

Is it possible you're just being melodramatic and using insane hyperbolic language to vent some pent up frustrations?