Dan Quinn = Barry Switzer

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Gus Bradley built that Seattle defense. He did such a good job, he got the Jaguars HC job in 2013. The year Quinn took over a stockpile of young talent on defense that was so deep and talented. They had so much talent up front, they could constantly rotate guys all game to stay fresh and get after the QB.

Switzer took over an extremely talented team in place and had zero work to do. Just keep the car on the road with the cruise control on. And he did just that. Won a ring. So did Quinn.

When Quinn went to Atlanta, his defenses were trash. And yes, he had a big part of those defenses. It was the same as when Garrett was the HC but he was still responsible for the offense. The gameplan and playcalling. Quinn was in charge of those defenses that were really bad. Quinn is also responsible for turning the Falcons into a running meme of how many historic leads they have blown. The Super Bowl is obviously the biggest but they have so many more. Cowboys fans here will be well aware of one of them this season.

I don't think one person on our defense this year could even start for his Seattle defense and many probably could not even make the 2 deep.

Spare me he was the DC at Seattle 7 years ago. Marinelli was apart of great defenses and got a ring. And we saw how he worked out.

Another recycled, retread head coach hire.

Pete Carroll built that defense. HE is the reason it stayed so good for so long and remains good most seasons. He's one of the best secondary coaches ever and has a great mind for the game. Gus Bradley owes his success to Carroll.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Bruh Barry Switzer is an all-time great coach put some respect on his name. And he did it as a players coach.

Switzer did what ironically everyone who wants Saint Urban Meyer to do with this team.
I really think the Urban Legend is just looking for a big payday to retire with. I don't think he gets it done in the NFL.

plymkr

Reaction score
Bruh Barry Switzer is an all-time great coach put some respect on his name. And he did it as a players coach.

Switzer did what ironically everyone who wants Saint Urban Meyer to do with this team.
Each year Switzer was the coach the Dallas Cowboys got worse and worse, to the point they flat out quit on him in'97. Switzer was a good college coach but nothing in the NFL. Aikman, Irvin, Emmitt, Woodson, Haley, Lett, Tolbert, Larry Brown, Deion Sanders, Erik Williams, Nate Newton, Mark Tunie(sp), Lary Allen, all those guys willed us to win super bowl '95 despite Switzer's "coaching".

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Each year Switzer was the coach the Dallas Cowboys got worse and worse, to the point they flat out quit on him in'97. Switzer was a good college coach but nothing in the NFL. Aikman, Irvin, Emmitt, Woodson, Haley, Lett, Tolbert, Larry Brown, Deion Sanders, Erik Williams, Nate Newton, Mark Tunie(sp), Lary Allen, all those guys willed us to win super bowl '95 despite Switzer's "coaching".

I think you mean got older and older.. And how could a team that won the Super Bowl , '95, be "worse" than a team that didn't.. '94.. The fact that you include Larry Brown on that list of great players tells me you were either very young back then or you are very old right now.. Brown does not belong on that list.. He caught two gift wrapped interceptions in a Super Bowl.. other than that he was the guy who got picked on opposite Kevin Smith and then Deion. He was not a bad player by any stretch but putting him in that class is being overly generous. But back to the teams Switzer coached.. They got old.. Emmitt played two seasons with bone spurs in his ankles.. Big E had the infamous car accident from which he never fully recovered. Haley's back caused him to have to hang 'em up. Same with Novacek who they never replaced. Nate got old.. Tooey got old.. Stepnoski went to the Titans.. Moose's neck sent him into retiremen.. As did Irvin's. Holding Switzer responsible for the ravages for Father Time (and free agency) simply is unfair.. not to mention in accurate.

kskboys

Reaction score
Gus Bradley built that Seattle defense. He did such a good job, he got the Jaguars HC job in 2013. The year Quinn took over a stockpile of young talent on defense that was so deep and talented. They had so much talent up front, they could constantly rotate guys all game to stay fresh and get after the QB.

Switzer took over an extremely talented team in place and had zero work to do. Just keep the car on the road with the cruise control on. And he did just that. Won a ring. So did Quinn.

When Quinn went to Atlanta, his defenses were trash. And yes, he had a big part of those defenses. It was the same as when Garrett was the HC but he was still responsible for the offense. The gameplan and playcalling. Quinn was in charge of those defenses that were really bad. Quinn is also responsible for turning the Falcons into a running meme of how many historic leads they have blown. The Super Bowl is obviously the biggest but they have so many more. Cowboys fans here will be well aware of one of them this season.

I don't think one person on our defense this year could even start for his Seattle defense and many probably could not even make the 2 deep.

Spare me he was the DC at Seattle 7 years ago. Marinelli was apart of great defenses and got a ring. And we saw how he worked out.

Although I know nothing about Quinn, the lead blowing was much more on the O and their stupid high flying D gassing attack. Don't forget, Kyle Shanahan was running the O for both ATL and SF in the super bowl when they blew huge leads.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

BlackSpider214=Floaty

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Although I know nothing about Quinn, the lead blowing was much more on the O and their stupid high flying D gassing attack. Don't forget, Kyle Shanahan was running the O for both ATL and SF in the super bowl when they blew huge leads.

True but Quinn was the DC for Seattle when they were blowing a double digit lead to the Pats back in 2014.. Once New England went to the no-huddle Quinn and the "legion" had no answer and the results were an ugly 4th quarter defensive display surpassed only by an even uglier defensive display by Atlanta's defense. But at least the ATL defense had the excuse of being gassed because the stupid OC refused to take the air out of the ball and just play to win the game instead of trying to display his "genius."

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Who out there and available was a better option?

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Do you expect a coach who really wants to win a thing wants to sign with this franchise ?

Wake up.

We get cock-croaches who want to earn money.

Its JJs world.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Do you expect a coach who really wants to win a thing wants to sign with this franchise ?

Wake up.

We get cock-croaches who want to earn money.

Its JJs world.

Aka, con artists. They’re no different than the Indian and Nigerian scammers that call to scam old people out of their money. Actually, I take that back. They’re worse. Because they’re not only scamming an old man, they’re scamming an entire fanbase.

plymkr

Reaction score
I think you mean got older and older.. And how could a team that won the Super Bowl , '95, be "worse" than a team that didn't.. '94.. The fact that you include Larry Brown on that list of great players tells me you were either very young back then or you are very old right now.. Brown does not belong on that list.. He caught two gift wrapped interceptions in a Super Bowl.. other than that he was the guy who got picked on opposite Kevin Smith and then Deion. He was not a bad player by any stretch but putting him in that class is being overly generous. But back to the teams Switzer coached.. They got old.. Emmitt played two seasons with bone spurs in his ankles.. Big E had the infamous car accident from which he never fully recovered. Haley's back caused him to have to hang 'em up. Same with Novacek who they never replaced. Nate got old.. Tooey got old.. Stepnoski went to the Titans.. Moose's neck sent him into retiremen.. As did Irvin's. Holding Switzer responsible for the ravages for Father Time (and free agency) simply is unfair.. not to mention in accurate.
I don't know why you have to attack my age but your attack of my age makes your incredible argument even less credible.
1. Moose and Irvin was injured after Barry Switzer left. 98 for Moose and 99 for Irvin.
2. I didn't hold Switzer responsible for father time, so I'm not sure where you came up with that. Your argument is faulty at best. You're saying that age and retirement ravaged the team. Well they won in '95, 96 they lost to an 2nd year expansion team in the divisional round of the playoffs. 97 the team quit on Switzer and they didn't make the playoffs. There was not a lot of turnover from that '96 team to the 97 team. The only 2 starters I can think of that left were Larry Brown and Russell Maryland. They left after the '95 season. You already spent much time discussing how Larry Brown was a non factor and Russell was an above average starter. In this time period Larry Allen was coming into his own and they still had Nate Newton, Big E, Tooey, Emmitt Smith, Moose, Irvin, Williams, and of coarse Aikman. Not a lot of turnover from that '96 team. You're not going to convince me that Jay Novacek was the key cog in our offense. Also Kevin Smith was healthy, prime Darren Woodson, Deion Sanders in his prime. That's a pretty talented defense to go along with that offense. So for anyone counting you got Aikman, Irvin, Allen, Deion, Emmitt. 5 HOFers in the prime of their careers. Darren Woodson, HOF candidate, Tolbert, K. Smith, Lett, all above average starters. How did Switzer do a good job in '96 and '97 with this talent? Oh right, they were all injured, sorry my dementia from old age is kicking in. Well doesn't a good coach figure out ways to coach up the rest of the team that isn't injured. So every HOFer from that team was injured at the exact same time. If you have one or two HOfer's on your team, even if they're a little nicked up you have a good squad. Especially if one of those is a first ballot HOFer at QB. Those are pretty rare. Switzer had 5 and Woodson will make it 6 when he is inducted. 6 HOFer's on one team.
3. Not to quote Mickey Spags but if Switzer was such a great coach why didn't anyone try to sign him when Jerry fired him? Why hasn't any team tried to talk him out of retirement? Other great coaches were talked out of retirement, such as Parcells, Gibbs, Vermeil, Gruden, etc. If he's so great why is he available?

I have nothing against Switzer as a person but he was not a good NFL coach. He inherited a porsche from Jimmy Johnson and he didn't do any upkeep on the porsche and that porsche turned into a rusty old car that quit on the side of the road. Good coaches don't let that happen in a span of 2 seasons. Good guy but not a great coach.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Wrong analogy. Switzer was one of the winnigest coaches and still a top winner record wise . Switzer had to take over a very tale red cowboys team and contend with Jerry’s interference and manage players egos , but still won a super bowl .

Quinn has to also be given a chance , but his big collapses in the super bowl is an alarming anecdote.

He isn't a top winner record-wise unless "top winner" spans down to the top 25, and the only thing that keeps him in the top 25 is the fact that he took over a dynasty and never coached again after getting fired by Jerry. Had he coached another team instead of Dallas, or any other team after Dallas, he's nowhere near the top 25.

plymkr

Reaction score
No retreads?
So we want sean lee coaching the team? Someone with no experience?
Isnt experience what makes someone a retread?
Lol, this place would have exploded if Sean Lee became the DC.