News: Dan Quinn impressed by the Wolf Hunter

garyo1954

Reaction score
In an all-important prove-it season, the player nicknamed the "Wolf Hunter" is attempting to establish himself as the alpha of the linebacker pack for the Dallas Cowboys. Leighton Vander Esch saw the organization decline to exercise his fifth-year option for 2022 immediately after drafting Micah Parsons in the first round and Jabril Cox in the fourth round of the 2021 NFL Draft, each variable sending a clear-and-present message to Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith. A former first-round pick himself, the former is already off to the races in impressing newly hired defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, and that's key to helping secure his playing time in 2021 and his future in North Texas in years to come.

BB1a3ZeI.img
© Provided by CBS Sports
Quinn, speaking in early June about players who jumped out at him in his first round of Cowboys offseason works, raved about what he's seeing thus far from a determined Vander Esch -- a player the team has received trade interest for recently but ignored due to their plans for him this coming season.

"I've been really impressed, [and] not just from the OTA time," Quinn told media. "Every once and a while you can just see a person that's on a mission, and I think that's what I've seen from Leighton from the time I arrived. You could just feel the energy, the intensity that he's putting into his workouts to change his body to get as strong as he could.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-of-training-camp-hes-on-a-mission/ar-AALhqfX

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
In an all-important prove-it season, the player nicknamed the "Wolf Hunter" is attempting to establish himself as the alpha of the linebacker pack for the Dallas Cowboys. Leighton Vander Esch saw the organization decline to exercise his fifth-year option for 2022 immediately after drafting Micah Parsons in the first round and Jabril Cox in the fourth round of the 2021 NFL Draft, each variable sending a clear-and-present message to Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith. A former first-round pick himself, the former is already off to the races in impressing newly hired defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, and that's key to helping secure his playing time in 2021 and his future in North Texas in years to come.

BB1a3ZeI.img
© Provided by CBS Sports
Quinn, speaking in early June about players who jumped out at him in his first round of Cowboys offseason works, raved about what he's seeing thus far from a determined Vander Esch -- a player the team has received trade interest for recently but ignored due to their plans for him this coming season.

"I've been really impressed, [and] not just from the OTA time," Quinn told media. "Every once and a while you can just see a person that's on a mission, and I think that's what I've seen from Leighton from the time I arrived. You could just feel the energy, the intensity that he's putting into his workouts to change his body to get as strong as he could.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-of-training-camp-hes-on-a-mission/ar-AALhqfX
Well, this is encouraging !

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't underestimate a reawakening in him when he wasn't optioned for that 5th year. He came on the scene and made a splash and then began to decline, primarily from injury and poor coaching.

From what he said when the off season started and how he has followed through, I think he realizes just how hard it is to keep a high level going.

I am pulling for him because 6'4" LB's with his wingspan don't grow on trees and he can be a real problem for QB's.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The LVE hate is unreal on this forum.

When that hate backfires on most of you for the 2nd time in his career after you wrote him off on draft day remember that I was never a doubter.

You don't understand where the "hate" come from? The same guy who "hates" On Dak?

You don't understand that not only has LVE had a career of underachieving but he's unhealthy...why on earth would anyone hype him up right now?

Jipper

Reaction score
great player, smart player, good guy.

Unfortunately, degenerative neck issues do not get better with age and time they only get worse....hey may play well but his career is going to be short and erratic...hes one bad hit away from a career ending injury...

wish him the best but can't give him a big guaranteed long term contract....just too much risk

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

BB1a3ZeI.img
© Provided by CBS Sports

Peeps can knock all they want, this back seven can be really tops in league if just a couple pieces drop right, ya we hear that every year so I get it, but if Kazee brings something and Neal, communication alone elevates the back seven just with those two.
Not trying to get anyone overly excited, but the back seven has improved hands down, a very interesting camp is brewing and this very young defense has a few stars in the making.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You don't understand where the "hate" come from? The same guy who "hates" On Dak?

You don't understand that not only has LVE had a career of underachieving but he's unhealthy...why on earth would anyone hype him up right now?

Me hating on Dak would be the equivalent of you guys hating LVE but him also making 22 million a year which then I would also jump in on the hate train just like you should be doing with Dak at 40.

conner01

Reaction score
This is it. The issue around this player is scheme fit and health. That neck is a problem and it likely always will be.
It could be an issue but hopefully not
I don’t think he will be here next year either way but I like the player and hope the best for him
I hope he has a career year because that not only helps us this year but helps his chances of a big deal which gets us a better comp pick

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:popcorn: Get your :popcorn:

This one will be a wild one as usual.

There is no reason to think LVE can't get back to his rookie form.
He had the neck issue. Then played and got the broken collarbone, then played with some nagging injuries probably the result of all players injuries. as in soft tissues type strains.
His Neck / nerve issue was repaired during or right after the 2019 season.
A broken collar bone does not make one injury prone IMO.

His neck has had close to 2 years now to fully heal. I will wait to see how he does this year.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The LVE hate is unreal on this forum.

When that hate backfires on most of you for the 2nd time in his career after you wrote him off on draft day remember that I was never a doubter.

I really don't get this. When a player doesn't get his 5th year option picked up, at least some of the "hate" is warranted, wouldn't you say?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
great player, smart player, good guy.

Unfortunately, degenerative neck issues do not get better with age and time they only get worse....hey may play well but his career is going to be short and erratic...hes one bad hit away from a career ending injury...

wish him the best but can't give him a big guaranteed long term contract....just too much risk

I do not think anyone said it was a degenerative neck issue. Except for the fans saying it in their usual crap on everything way.
According to this he is fully recovered.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...jury-excited-to-return-and-feeling-wonderful/

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
He and Sean Lee are cut from the same cloth. Good players whose bodies can't hold up under the punishment.

giphy.gif

MarcusRock

Reaction score

Liked for the Dak hate boomerang. Lol.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I really don't get this. When a player doesn't get his 5th year option picked up, at least some of the "hate" is warranted, wouldn't you say?

The only reason to hate have to deal with injuries but somehow people have argued that he isn’t even a good football player.

I actually have to argue with people about his coverage ability which I can’t believe.