CFZ Dan Quinn- like Wade Phillips?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Been a lot of talk lately about Dan Quinn possibly being picked off the Cowboys staff to take a HC job again with perhaps Denver or another head coaching position that will be open this off season.

Quinn has obviously done a great job turning the Cowboys defense around. But I have been thinking lately about the comparison between Quinn and another excellent defensive coordinator who was a better DC than HC- Wade Phillips.

Wade Phillips was consistently an excellent defensive mind. As a DC, his defenses were always among the leagues best. As a head coach on the other hand, Phillips was ok- he was 82-64 in regular season as a HC. But he was 1-5 in the playoffs. Phillips won a SB ring as a DC in Denver in 2015. But he never saw that much success as a HC.

Dan Quinn was ok in Atl as a HC. 43-42 in the regular season, and 3-2 in the playoffs. But he had that collapse in the SB vs the pats and his Atl teams never recovered. Like Phillips, Quinn has a SB ring as a DC when he was in Seattle.

So is Dan Quinn a newer version of Wade Phillips? An excellent DC who isn’t as good as a HC? Or is he different?

Aven8

Reaction score
I’ve thought about how he totally changed himself and his style of D when he came here. He has a philosophy of players he likes which has improved our D ten fold. Having said that I can’t remember that many great players when he was the coach in Atlanta. Jarrett maybe and who else?

Also, when Dan went to the SB he had an all star staff as well. Shanny running the O and Raheem Morris among others.

It seems to me he’s having more fun just being a DC. Love the way he wears his hat backwards in the booth and stands the whole time.

Flamma

Reaction score
Been a lot of talk lately about Dan Quinn possibly being picked off the Cowboys staff to take a HC job again with perhaps Denver or another head coaching position that will be open this off season.

Quinn has obviously done a great job turning the Cowboys defense around. But I have been thinking lately about the comparison between Quinn and another excellent defensive coordinator who was a better DC than HC- Wade Phillips.

Wade Phillips was consistently an excellent defensive mind. As a DC, his defenses were always among the leagues best. As a head coach on the other hand, Phillips was ok- he was 82-64 in regular season as a HC. But he was 1-5 in the playoffs. Phillips won a SB ring as a DC in Denver in 2015. But he never saw that much success as a HC.

Dan Quinn was ok in Atl as a HC. 43-42 in the regular season, and 3-2 in the playoffs. But he had that collapse in the SB vs the pats and his Atl teams never recovered. Like Phillips, Quinn has a SB ring as a DC when he was in Seattle.

So is Dan Quinn a newer version of Wade Phillips? An excellent DC who isn’t as good as a HC? Or is he different?

I think he's a little better than Wade as he did take the Falcons to the SB. His epic melt down in the SB was a learning experience. I think the fact he did take the Falcons to the SB would be the reason anyone else would want him as head coach. Because if you didn't like what he did at head coach, I don't see how his job as a DC would alter your opinion. It makes no sense.

Havic

Reaction score
I think he's a little better than Wade as he did take the Falcons to the SB. His epic melt down in the SB was a learning experience. I think the fact he did take the Falcons to the SB would be the reason anyone else would want him as head coach. Because if you didn't like what he did at head coach, I don't see how his job as a DC would alter your opinion. It makes no sense.

Falcons were in the superbowl because of Kyle Shanahan not so much Quinn imo.

visionary

Reaction score
Wade was a much better DC then Dan he was just a cream puff mediocre HC

Dan is a good DC. No idea how as hc

RoyalCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Talk by everyone but DQ.

DQ has no aspirations of leaving this team anytime soon.

The information is out there.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Wade Phillips admitted he was a good DC and a lousy HC. Dan Quinn is better suited as a DC than an HC. Other than the Super Bowl season in Atlanta he did nothing despite having a lot of talented players. He had two winning seasons in six seasons in Atlanta.

Hadenough

Reaction score

Quinn's success in Atlanta was directly tied to Kyle Shanahan. Once he left that team went downhill.

exciter

Reaction score

Eh, Quinn cut his 1st round DE 3 1/2 years into his rookie contract for constant complaining about having to play the 5tech DE position, despite the fact that he had 17 1/2 sacks playing it during that frame. Phillips wouldn’t have done much more than hold him out as a starter on the opening drive!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If Quinn could convince the Joneses of the value of monster DTs and get them to sign 1 or 2 in free agency and always be on the lookout for them in the draft, I think his style of defense would be much better. Imagine Parsons, Lawrence, Williams, Fowler, and Armstrong feasting with DTs who could actually push the pocket back on the QB.

JayFord

Reaction score
Wade Phillips was an outstanding Head Coach it just his laid back nature people called into question because they felt since he wasnt in your face and rah rah he wasnt motivating his players

he motivated players by assuming they were adults and professionals who were here to play the game

Quinn on the other hand as a HC has done something that Wade didnt do which is win playoff games and go to a SB

quickccc

Reaction score
- wade blew his HC chance when he decided ron johnson instead of doug flutie vs Tennessee Ttians

- quinn never solved the self destruction mode that had ATL blowing huge leads - even after the SB debacle vs Pats, that led to his downfall firing in ATL .
remember how we the cowboys came back vs ATL from a big deficit ?

quickccc

Reaction score
Wade Phillips was an outstanding Head Coach it just his laid back nature people called into question because they felt since he wasnt in your face and rah rah he wasnt motivating his players

he motivated players by assuming they were adults and professionals who were here to play the game

Quinn on the other hand as a HC has done something that Wade didnt do which is win playoff games and go to a SB

yeh Wade was so outstanding as a HC that even Jerry could not wait to fire him - at midseason. .something that he has never done with any of his HC's ...:confused:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Considering the investment in Russ Wilson, I can't see the Broncos hiring a defensive minded HC.

They have the worst scoring offense in the league I believe.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Hard to explain why but Wade had a pattern of staying only 3-4 years in most, if not all his DC jobs. Maybe coz he never hit his desire for an HC job.....in fact, he promoted it when he could (lol).

quickccc

Reaction score

It's more to it with head coaching than X's and O's and individual technical work.
Ditto with the rah rah vocal approach too .. as they have many of those types that rant and rave up-down sides,.that could not coach-lead worth a damn.!

- I think HC's have to be smart and knowledgeable enough to oversee the entire operation, in all three areas of their teams.
- they have to prove themselves great game managers, great communicators ..and leaders of men,
- They don't seem to be rattled and they manage to stay poised and calm into keeping their player and staff on the same level, ..not too high when it's going good
and not too low when things seem bad
- they have to prove themselves as inspiring motivators to keep their team fighting and competiting hard -especially when adversity comes in and going gets tough
(injury losses, losing streak)

- Most of all, he speaks in a way that commands respect from the players.
He’s pretty direct when he speaks to players, doesn’t mince words, and he seems to be very good at explaining what he wants.

- they also have to know when and how to delegate responsibility among their staff, ..knowing when to let his assts. lead.. and when it comes time when the HC himself has to be assertive,
take charge and lead themselves when the situation and task demands it,

- they have to have good connections around the league, who/how to find the more suitable assts, coordinators to carry out the duties demanded.