Dan Quinn no "b's" to face music will run to Seattle if possible

Creeper

Reaction score
The facts is, Dallas was the 5th ranked scoring defense in the league this year giving up a little over 18 points per game. They were 5th in yards allowed, 16th in rushing yards allowed. 5th in passing yards allowed - despite not having Diggs. They were 1st in defensive TDs with 7. 13th in sacks, Tied for 15th in yds per carry allowed, which is better than the Eagles, Packers, Bills, Steelers, Browns, Ravens and Chiefs, and tied with the Rams. These are all playoff teams. This is yards per carry, not total yards so point differential should not come into play. The Cowboys were 9th in interceptions.

Given these facts/statistics is the Cowboys defense good or bad? Over a 17 game schedule these numbers look pretty good. Certainly good enough to compete with the Packers.

So how do we view the absolute breakdown against the Packers? It seems to me they went away from who they are. This is a defense that has been successful stopping passing teams. Their identity is pressuring the QB and playing man coverage to force incompletions or interceptions. Where was that against the Packers? Why did we come out in some weird zone which the players were clearly not comfortable playing? This led to blown coverages missed assignments and easy chunk plays for the Packers. I think it also confused the player which may have made the run defense worse.

It is one game but it was a big game. If you are in favor of cutting loose from Dak because he fails in a big situation, they why not Quinn whose failure may have been even more significant. Dak eventually found a groove and it may have been in garbage time, but Quinn never figured it out. Go back and watch the Eagles-Bucs game late in the 4th quarter. Look at the Eagles defense flooding the LOS to stop the run when they knew the Bucs were running out the clock. Then look at Quinn's defense playing small personnel. I go back to the Lions game and I cannot get that 4th quarter two minute drive by the Lions. It was so easy. No pressure, not tight coverages anywhere on the field. Easy score which should have tied the game. The Dolphins did the same thing the week before and kicked a game winning FG.

I don't know what Quinn's excuse is but his performance on Sunday was worse than anything I saw on the field, including Dak's miserable first half. Maybe if he just played the defense that got the Cowboys to 12 wins, they may have gotten #13 that day. I think Dallas can do better and they should try to do better. They have good players. Maybe they need a couple more, but only the facts indicate the defense is much better than they performed on Sunday. I think that is on Quinn.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Why would any organization give him a job after watching that playoff game?
DQ? I agree. In fact, why would WE even give him a job for another year? Our Defense was horrible against GB!

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Why do you think he owes you anything....
DQ? Why do you think he doesn't? At the very least, DQ owes the Cowboys more than just a half hearted flop of a football game against GB! And if he owes it to them, then he owes it to us. With no fans, there's no NFL.

mldardy

Reaction score
The best CB, Diggs, was lost long ago. Gilmore played with one arm on Sunday. They have one actual linebacker - Clark - who has flaws. The rest was just a bunch of safeties and smoke and mirrors. When the line doesn't get pressure - which they didn't on Sunday (including Lord Micah) - what did you expect?

Yell at Dan Quinn, that's fine, but be honest about the roster. Not a single stud linebacker, barely two corners, and DTs who got pancaked too often. That's the defense.
Oh get out of here. He makes no adjustments at the first sign of trouble. He switched up the game plan for one player, Gilmore, last Sunday and it backfired and he continued to stick with the same scheme leaving wide receivers wide open all game. He did a horrible unforgivable job on Sunday. Stop with these weak *** excuses.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Dear Zoners--- Dan Quinn will run to Seattle if anyway they give him a shot....i use to think he was real and had the pulse of team til Sunday
and we got all our hearts ripped out watching the worse loss of all time to first 7th seed to win....been looking for post-game from Quinn can't find one?
heard over 100 million watched game?.....if i am way off base please respond and correct me??
GORICO
It is me belief tha Quinn is in hiding from Jerald.

Gerald is glowering, watching tha 48-32 debacle and wondering who coached and directed this putrid defence that surrendered 48 points --- 55 or 62 if the Packers had kept their first team in.

Quinn, you self-proclaimed an in-demand coach, go direct the Seahawks with their 30th ranked defence!
Yes, I said 30th!!!
I toss back me chiseled head and laugh. Laugh I tell you!
https://www.foxsports.com/articles/nfl/2023-nfl-defense-rankings-team-pass-and-rush-stats

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
During his time here we've brought in Hankins Mazi and Clark.

Without bashing each player as is the practice of some, look at the size of players.

There has been effort in last 2 seasons to bring more size to both groups.
Hankins is past his prime. He's old, and even though he tries to be effective, most times he is not due to age and wear-n-tear. Mazi was completely tearing up our offense since Day 1 of training camp. Mazi, Micah and the Defense were constantly shutting down our Offense and abusing our Oline. Once the regular season started, it stopped. A complete 180°. Mazi never looked during the regular season or playoff game anywhere close to how dominant he was during training camp and preseason. As for Clark, he will make 1 good play but follow it up with 2 or 3 bad ones. Totally inconsistent. And that's exactly how our Defense performed all season......totally inconsistent and over run by good teams.

Gambit

Reaction score
Hankins is past his prime. He's old, and even though he tries to be effective, most times he is not due to age and wear-n-tear. Mazi was completely tearing up our offense since Day 1 of training camp. Mazi, Micah and the Defense were constantly shutting down our Offense and abusing our Oline. Once the regular season started, it stopped. A complete 180°. Mazi never looked during the regular season or playoff game anywhere close to how dominant he was during training camp and preseason. As for Clark, he will make 1 good play but follow it up with 2 or 3 bad ones. Totally inconsistent. And that's exactly how our Defense performed all season......totally inconsistent and over run by good teams.
I see you missed the part about "Without bashing each player as is the practice of some, look at the size of players."

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I see you missed the part about "Without bashing each player as is the practice of some, look at the size of players."
Both Johnathan Hankins and Mazi Smith are 6'3". Same height as Micah Parsons. That's too short for quality sized DTs needed inside.

Dan Quinn got rid of Bohanna (6' 4.5") and John Ridgeway (6' 5") as bigger DTs. End result: this team keeps on getting steamrolled running up the middle.

visionary

Reaction score
The best CB, Diggs, was lost long ago. Gilmore played with one arm on Sunday. They have one actual linebacker - Clark - who has flaws. The rest was just a bunch of safeties and smoke and mirrors. When the line doesn't get pressure - which they didn't on Sunday (including Lord Micah) - what did you expect?

Yell at Dan Quinn, that's fine, but be honest about the roster. Not a single stud linebacker, barely two corners, and DTs who got pancaked too often. That's the defense.
So you think Quinn wanted LBs but Jerry said no?

Cool story bro

Gambit

Reaction score
Avg height of DT in NFL is less than 6'3

Hankins sure has had a nice long career for being too short. Smh

You complain we got rid of 2 larger players, well in order to get rid of, you had to draft or bring them in. So point still stands they have addressed the needs of bringing in size.

Once you admit that then it can be debated the talent level and productivity of those players. And why or why not some were let go

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yep wait till next years defense the same bunch will be wondering what's wrong

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
The facts is, Dallas was the 5th ranked scoring defense in the league this year giving up a little over 18 points per game. They were 5th in yards allowed, 16th in rushing yards allowed. 5th in passing yards allowed - despite not having Diggs. They were 1st in defensive TDs with 7. 13th in sacks, Tied for 15th in yds per carry allowed, which is better than the Eagles, Packers, Bills, Steelers, Browns, Ravens and Chiefs, and tied with the Rams. These are all playoff teams. This is yards per carry, not total yards so point differential should not come into play. The Cowboys were 9th in interceptions.

Given these facts/statistics is the Cowboys defense good or bad? Over a 17 game schedule these numbers look pretty good. Certainly good enough to compete with the Packers.

So how do we view the absolute breakdown against the Packers? It seems to me they went away from who they are. This is a defense that has been successful stopping passing teams. Their identity is pressuring the QB and playing man coverage to force incompletions or interceptions. Where was that against the Packers? Why did we come out in some weird zone which the players were clearly not comfortable playing? This led to blown coverages missed assignments and easy chunk plays for the Packers. I think it also confused the player which may have made the run defense worse.

It is one game but it was a big game. If you are in favor of cutting loose from Dak because he fails in a big situation, they why not Quinn whose failure may have been even more significant. Dak eventually found a groove and it may have been in garbage time, but Quinn never figured it out. Go back and watch the Eagles-Bucs game late in the 4th quarter. Look at the Eagles defense flooding the LOS to stop the run when they knew the Bucs were running out the clock. Then look at Quinn's defense playing small personnel. I go back to the Lions game and I cannot get that 4th quarter two minute drive by the Lions. It was so easy. No pressure, not tight coverages anywhere on the field. Easy score which should have tied the game. The Dolphins did the same thing the week before and kicked a game winning FG.

I don't know what Quinn's excuse is but his performance on Sunday was worse than anything I saw on the field, including Dak's miserable first half. Maybe if he just played the defense that got the Cowboys to 12 wins, they may have gotten #13 that day. I think Dallas can do better and they should try to do better. They have good players. Maybe they need a couple more, but only the facts indicate the defense is much better than they performed on Sunday. I think that is on Quinn.
Take out offensive dumpster fires out of that equation. Take out the 2 games vs Washington, 2 vs the Giants, the game against the hapless, Aaron-less Jets, and the game against Carolina.

How does this defense rank after that?

TheGoat73

Reaction score

All teams have holes in January

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dear Zoners--- Dan Quinn will run to Seattle if anyway they give him a shot....i use to think he was real and had the pulse of team til Sunday
and we got all our hearts ripped out watching the worse loss of all time to first 7th seed to win....been looking for post-game from Quinn can't find one?
heard over 100 million watched game?.....if i am way off base please respond and correct me??
GORICO
you do realize saying that about the 7th seed loss being the first to a 2nd seed, Umm only been a seventh seed for three years lMAO.. too small sample six to call it historical ughh! worst narrative on the internet right now as a slap in the face to mike McCarthy... we have literally seen wild card teams make the super bowl. who cares what seed in fact green bay was the hottest team entering the internet7-2 down the strecth..what if they make it to the NFCCG will it take the sting off??lime the 2009 gnats beat us we were a 1st seed with bye at home, that was bad, until we saw them beat NE in a SB TWICE!

blueblood70

Reaction score
GORICO
i do agree that dan quinn needs to go..i wish jerry will help him along ands just cut bait NOW!.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Great points. Quinn doesn’t do the drafting. He has input, but Jerry makes the final decision. Who knows what the DC wishes have been.
When it comes to defense Jerry is going with what DQ wants, even if it deviates from the board. Jerry is clueless

Creeper

Reaction score
Take out offensive dumpster fires out of that equation. Take out the 2 games vs Washington, 2 vs the Giants, the game against the hapless, Aaron-less Jets, and the game against Carolina.

How does this defense rank after that?
Well, If we do that then we have to do it to every other team as well.

Loso86

Reaction score
DQ? Why do you think he doesn't? At the very least, DQ owes the Cowboys more than just a half hearted flop of a football game against GB! And if he owes it to them, then he owes it to us. With no fans, there's no NFL.
Lol sure you keep waiting then

Mark

Reaction score
The swarming, opportunistic, turnover-creating defense we enjoyed for most of the season went south after Thanksgiving. Didn't even look like the same team.

Maybe there was enough film out there by that time to figure them out.