Dan Quinn thumbs up!

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
OGC.ba978618f2a739f2a7a62896b1fd24e9

quickccc

Reaction score
Were we not hyped and excited at this time Last year with Nolan's " hybrid " defense ?

..more sack artists, .more turnover emphasis......several vet ex-pro bowlers ,.. change up looks from 4-3 to 3-4 .....disguised coverages and blitzes, press jam man to man, .. jaylon as an edge rusher..etc, etc.

.. ." we fit the scheme to fit the players.., not trying to force fit players into a scheme " - per McCarthy in '20.

i'll read the headlines and see the highlights, and try to curve my enthusiasm, as we've heard this kind of sweet kool aid talk before but it really comes down to it, its really when the regular season begins.... that'll be the tale to tell when it's all stakes are on the table. :rolleyes:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quinn is walking to the perfect situation. Worst statistical season in the team's history and word that the previous DC did not get along well with his players, the main reason Booger would let him go. Love me, love my boys.

He has the rep as a players' coach so he is automatic until it gets real. The warm brownies, cold milk and hugs can turn quickly if the defense is not noticeably improved.

I believe he is a most definite upgrade over Nolan and I also believe they have upgraded the talent on the D side before they take a real snap.

I don't put a lot of stock in the OTA's and spins out of those because that is to be expected, we're still in the honeymoon phase with this group of rookies.

I also don't spin players just because they play for my team but as I began to look deeper into this crop, I got that same feeling I did when I did that when everyone was upset over taking Yosemite in the 1st. The more I looked, the better I liked. Same with these players, I like what I discovered about them and this could be a very surprising and welcome draft class and not just on the D side.

Time will tell if they should have moved up for Barmore or Moehring, two of out pet cats, but I am more than fine with this draft class and we even have a WR to add a little intrigue. What's a Cowboys draft class without a WR? I have the feeling that if Quinn was as high on those two players, they would have moved up for one or both. It also helped with more information about what he plans on doing as to why they might have selected these players.

I gotta say though, any more talk of long arms and I am for changing the name to the Dallas Gibbons.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
other than LB Micah Parsons...he's the best addition of the off-season.
Obviously, but the defense was so porous, that I can share the OPs enthusiasm, there are job openings on this D now... sign in window... Help Wanted

Maverick84

Reaction score
I've seen things too

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Only with great talent.

If you respond with 'that's exactly what he'll be working with here' you will win this debate.

Why do you do this? It is a akin to laying down a trail of peanuts in front a herd of Elephants that leads to a cliff.

Why.........?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
So far so good. I like what I am seeing so far. I'll guess that at least 10 rookies will make the team and if they don't, whoever makes the team on defense will me much improved under Quinn.
Great hire so far
But this D has a lot to prove.
Atrocious last year saying it nicely.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
All those promising young rookie DB's? Sooner or later they aren't going to line up against rookie UDFA's. Instead, when they look across the other side of the scrimmage line they are going to see possibly the most explosive squad of WR's in the league. Joseph will be getting schooled by one of the best route runners in the league, Amari Cooper. Wright will be chasing after a guy who can make all kinds of acrobatic catches no matter how good your positioning is, Michael Gallup.

All these rookie DB's are going to be practicing in the minicamps and in the training camps against one of the emerging stars in the league, Cee Dee Lamb.

Those big rookie DT's are going to have fun going up against the best RG in the league today and one of the best in the league's history, Zack Martin. Tyron and La'el both have a wakeup call for Gholston.

We'll see just how phenomenal a job Quinn is doing when these rookies start practicing against real NFL talent. They'll be okay. I'm not saying I'm not excited about these rookies. I'm only saying they have proven nothing so far. Therefore, Quinn's presence around the rookies at practice and his statements during interviews don't really mean a whole lot. They will become more meaningful when we see Joseph and Wright picking off passes, Gholston and Parsons providing sacks and Odighizuwa and Bohanna clogging the middle on running plays,

One thing about this draft is that it's very heavily slated to the system that Dan Quinn wants to run. Mukuamu and Wright aren't great in any system but what Quinn has in store for them. If they play within the system and not let receivers run freely like we've seen in previous DCs in Dallas. Then I'm all for it.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Were we not hyped and excited at this time Last year with Nolan's " hybrid " defense ?

..more sack artists, .more turnover emphasis......several vet ex-pro bowlers ,.. change up looks from 4-3 to 3-4 .....disguised coverages and blitzes, press jam man to man, .. jaylon as an edge rusher..etc, etc.

.. ." we fit the scheme to fit the players.., not trying to force fit players into a scheme " - per McCarthy in '20.

i'll read the headlines and see the highlights, and try to curve my enthusiasm, as we've heard this kind of sweet kool aid talk before but it really comes down to it, its really when the regular season begins.... that'll be the tale to tell when it's all stakes are on the table. :rolleyes:

No I was not. I was hopeful but very worried.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
So far so good. I like what I am seeing so far. I'll guess that at least 10 rookies will make the team and if they don't, whoever makes the team on defense will me much improved under Quinn.

I like Quinn. #LegionOfBoom

note: Jerry..if we hired KRichard for this gig, we’d have the same defense.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

No we would get what we had when Richard was here. Quinn's defense will be slightly different, particularly with the DL since that is his specialty.

plasticman

Reaction score
Quinn is looking to change the one area that has haunted the team for 25 seasons. No, he's not a secret hitman out to rid us of a certain owner/GM, I am talking about turnovers.

These aggressive, tall defenders are here to give us takeaways. this is the area that the team will improve the most.

quickccc

Reaction score

i highly doubt Richard would be running any 3-4/4-3 Hybrid.
in fact, i still have the impression that this Hybrid has something to do with McCarthy's strong preference of what he wants his DC to run.
But i'd have to search up Quinn's DC's and schemes in ATL as well.
Falcons have always struck me as 4-3 or 5-2 like fronts.

and i do wonder why from someone from the Legion of Boom DC group, such as Richard, he has not only been hired on as a DC on another NFL team,
let alone HC, (such as Miami's Brian Flores) His stock really dropped off the deep cliff as he's gave in and resume his coaching career as a DB coach only.
What happened ?
:huh:

quickccc

Reaction score
Quinn is looking to change the one area that has haunted the team for 25 seasons.
No, he's not a secret hitman out to rid us of a certain owner/GM, I am talking about turnovers.

These aggressive, tall defenders are here to give us takeaways. this is the area that the team will improve the most.

Understandably.
But Marinelli's Chicago Bears group when he was the DC, was the top catalysts for creating turnovers, with such playmakers as Urlacher, Peanut-punch Charles Tillman, Lance Briggs, Chris Harris and pass rushers such as Julius Peppers, Tommie Harris, and eventually Henry Milton.

In short it's not just a DC issue, ..it's also a player personnel issues. We've never came up with true turnover playmakers.