Dan Quinn thumbs up!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So far so good. I like what I am seeing so far. I'll guess that at least 10 rookies will make the team and if they don't, whoever makes the team on defense will me much improved under Quinn.

Pro bowler all of them. Unless they arent. Thanks for the keen insight. I feel better about the draft now.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Great job with the absolutely nothing we've seen so far, Dan. Keep up the good work. :cool:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Here's hoping we won't have a bevy of fans rushing to label Quinn a flop at the first sign of a less than adequate game! :angry:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
That, is a given. And it won't wait for the regular season. I'd say around midway through the 2Q of the HOF game.

Yeow -- that sounds about right -- it never ceases to amaze me how little it takes to bring 'em to the brink of a short fuse! :omg:

plasticman

Reaction score
Understandably.
But Marinelli's Chicago Bears group when he was the DC, was the top catalysts for creating turnovers, with such playmakers as Urlacher, Peanut-punch Charles Tillman, Lance Briggs, Chris Harris and pass rushers such as Julius Peppers, Tommie Harris, and eventually Henry Milton.

In short it's not just a DC issue, ..it's also a player personnel issues. We've never came up with true turnover playmakers.
The Bears defense was a top ranked team in takeaways with guys like Urlacher, Tillman, and Briggs before Marinelli joined the team, first as a DL coach, then as a DC. He inherited some pretty good defensive playmakers.\

On the other hand, the Cowboys have had major problems in this category since the mid nineties. They are close to the very bottom of the rankings for all teams over the past quarter century.

This draft, they were looking for specific "takeaway" attributes such as the receiving skills for DB's, tall body lengths, aggressive style, speed, so on. The coaches will teach but they will have players whose athleticism matches the very skills these coaches want them to learn.

What makes this a much better draft is the fact that they realize square pegs don't fit into round holes. They drafted to a certain style player which is why draft predictions are so useless. They don't want the best player, they want the players that are best for what they want to do. In doing so, I believe they will succeed in improving in this area.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i highly doubt Richard would be running any 3-4/4-3 Hybrid.
in fact, i still have the impression that this Hybrid has something to do with McCarthy's strong preference of what he wants his DC to run.
But i'd have to search up Quinn's DC's and schemes in ATL as well.
Falcons have always struck me as 4-3 or 5-2 like fronts.

and i do wonder why from someone from the Legion of Boom DC group, such as Richard, he has not only been hired on as a DC on another NFL team,
let alone HC, (such as Miami's Brian Flores) His stock really dropped off the deep cliff as he's gave in and resume his coaching career as a DB coach only.
What happened ?
:huh:

Hybrid is what Quinn has always used.

It is not specific to coming to the Cowboys.

Atlanta was hybrid last season.

Seahawks were hybrid with Quinn as DC.

Quinn's defenses have not always looked the same because he schemes around the players on the roster and he evolves.

Modern offenses make hybrid defenses the obvious choice.

If hybrid is good enough for Belichick....

quickccc

Reaction score
The Bears defense was a top ranked team in takeaways with guys like Urlacher, Tillman, and Briggs before Marinelli joined the team, first as a DL coach, then as a DC. He inherited some pretty good defensive playmakers.\

On the other hand, the Cowboys have had major problems in this category since the mid nineties. They are close to the very bottom of the rankings for all teams over the past quarter century.

This draft, they were looking for specific "takeaway" attributes such as the receiving skills for DB's, tall body lengths, aggressive style, speed, so on. The coaches will teach but they will have players whose athleticism matches the very skills these coaches want them to learn.

What makes this a much better draft is the fact that they realize square pegs don't fit into round holes. They drafted to a certain style player which is why draft predictions are so useless. They don't want the best player, they want the players that are best for what they want to do. In doing so, I believe they will succeed in improving in this area.

Cowboys were already in the process of new emphasis takeaway guys when they drafted Diggs and Robinson
both had fine INT finale seasons - only Diggs future looks promising, ..Robinson is in quite the limbo,
But the turnover emphasis was already in place before this year's draft class.

quickccc

Reaction score

Quinn's defenses have not always looked the same because he schemes around the players on the roster and he evolves.

thanks for the input, .,as i did research per Quinn's DC work in Seattle, as he can be more focused, and more quickly reactive in adjusting to

and this article was the one i found as most informative and detailed on Quinn's Hybrid use in his last two NFL teams.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...-demarcus-lawrence-randy-gregory-jaylon-smith

Breaking down the front seven of new Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn’s defense

What will Dan Quinn bring up front?

fivetwos

Reaction score

I think this is exactly what MM wanted.

Quinn is like a stand up comic who goes on stage immediately after someone else who just bombed badly.

The stage is set....the players ought to buy in.

Early success is the key, and build from there.