Twitter: Dan Reeves dies

Plankton

Reaction score
This sucks. Reeves was a former college QB who made it as a RB as an UDFA. Smart player who became a player coach, then a very underrated head coach. Should be in the HOF - if Marv Levy is in, then so should Dan Reeves. Interesting fact - Dan Reeves was from the same hometown as Chan Gailey, and coached him in Pop Warner ball. Second interesting fact - Tom Landry never made a Super Bowl without Dan Reeves being a Cowboy in some fashion.

RIP to a class act.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Sad to hear the news of Dan Reeves death. What a wonderful football life he had, from his playing days to his coaching success.

Along the way he remained one of the most humble & honorable men in the sport. Prayers to his friends & family.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sad news, just seen an alert on my phone earlier.

Wonder if the NFL will allow a #30 patch to be worn on the jersey's.

I remember some time ago, Dallas wanted to honor something or a player and the NFL would not allow it.

perrykemp

Reaction score
I would have guessed he was a lot older than 77.

RIP Dan Reeves.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
He was probably one of the last player/coaches. He made a lot of big plays for us back then and had a great head coaching career. Probably gets passed by in Canton because he couldn't win the big one. But you can make a pretty good case for him being a hall of fame head coach.
Comparable to Marv Levy who made it so yea he should be in the convo

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
My goodness...this week just sucks.. John Madden, Betty White, now Dan reeves can we get a moment to grieve sheesh

MS17

Reaction score
Reeves threw the 50 yd TD halfback option pass in the '67 Ice Bowl at Lambeau v. Green Bay. I think of that when I hear his name. He's part of Cowboys lore.
RIP Dan.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
One of the best of the Landry Tree. RIP Coach.

If you want to see how he was making an impact even in his last stint, watch the Michael Vick documentary on 30 for 30.

Dan Reeve's biggest regret: That he couldn't be there for Vick. He knew what all the hanger-ons were doing to his career. He was a HUGE father figure and role model for Vick.

The new coach let Vick sink into leeches and pariahs. Reeves would have kept Vick on the straight and narrow.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Comparable to Marv Levy who made it so yea he should be in the convo
Still only 7 coaches with 200+ wins and he's one of them. I think the thing that seperate's Levy a bit is that the Bills had pretty consistent success from like 1988-95 or so. But then again Reeves was very good early in his coaching career. His career with the Giants and Falcons was pretty forgettable but he had 8 years of at least 10 wins from 1981-93. And during that time there was a lockout that took out half of 82 and another work stoppage that took out a week of 87 plus replacements were playing 3 weeks after that so to do that during that time is pretty impressive.