Twitter: Daniel Jeremiah on Quinn's defensive philosophy drafting players

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Common knowledge bubba! I like Broaddus, listen to him on the fan,but didn’t he get canned?Maybe true, maybe not, but there were many teams that passed on him, like us wasn’t a scheme fit even though that turned out to be wrong decision.A lot of flat out luck goes into picks and how successful they might be.

Thinking Taco Charlton is a better prospect than T.J. Watt isn't bad luck it's just bad talent evaluation. Something we've seen many times with Will McClay.

I would have fired him on the spot.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Thinking Taco Charlton is a better prospect than T.J. Watt isn't bad luck it's just bad talent evaluation. Something we've seen many times with Will McClay.

I would have fired him on the spot.
Did you read the blogging the boys article today ranking Dallas 2021 draft class #1?

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
I don't read fan boy sites, no. I just pay attention when bums like Will McClay think Taco Charlton was better than T.J. Watt.
Because you know 100% that was all his decision.Marinelli had nothing to do do w/ it?Oh, but Broaddus said so.McClay is damn good, so deal w/ it.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because you know 100% that was all his decision.Marinelli had nothing to do do w/ it?Oh, but Broaddus said so.McClay is damn good, so deal w/ it.

Lol.

Aren't you late for your next article for Blogging The Boys?

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Lol.

Aren’t you late to go post a twitter feed?That seems to be all you do.Anybody can do that for likes Mr. likes collector, unlike Mr. Bob Haze who’s well thought out,informed info is his own, not just posting someone else’s info.Man knows his stuff unlike you.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Um, bubba? I'll judge the entire body of work and I'll trust Bryan Broaddus didn't lie on the air when he told us McClay told him he preferred Taco over Watt.

How is McClay highly respected around the league? Who have you talked to make such a claim?
Saying someone is "highly respected around the league" does not say much.

Lots of GMs get that label and they still get fired and held accountable.

But we are not talking about a GM who is held accountable for poor judgment.

We are talking about an executive who serves as a go-between between the Joneses and the coaching staff. And in the case of Charlton, he failed in a big way. A quality talent evaluator does not sit around and stress taking a clearly inferior player based on the coach telling him that he is better scheme fit.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score

We are talking about an executive who serves as a go-between between the Joneses and the coaching staff. And in the case of Charlton, he failed in a big way. A quality talent evaluator does not sit around and stress taking a clearly inferior player based on the coach telling him that he is better scheme fit.
Already said that was clearly a mistake.How many other teams passed on TJ….many.W/ a meddling owner and D coordinator (Marinelli) who unfortunately yielded a lot of power, no one knows who had the final say on that decision, except people in Cowboys inner circle.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. Jeremiah mentioning another corner says to me that he doesn’t know the current Cowboys team.
He knows the current Cowboys pickers and they would have picked Horn or Surtain over Parsons. And Quinn most likely would have not had the year he did.

I will be surprised if they take any D player in the 1st. It will be WR or OL.

Creeper

Reaction score
The playoffs magnify weaknesses and the 49ers ran over us to the tune of 169 yards rushing. Maybe we needed more speed. They just need to bite the bullet and rent one the run stuffing DT free agents for a year or two. It would probably cost around $6-9 million per year.

Mitchell ran 27 times for 96 yards and 3.6 yards per carry. What hurt them was Deebo Samuel running for 72 on 10 carries. That 26 yard TD run by Samuel was not because of the interior DL play. Like on offense, the Cowboys DL suffers from a lack of discipline. If they do their jobs individually, they are okay. It is when they over-pursue the misdirection that they get burned. I agree they need a solid run stuffer but someone who penetrates or pushes the pocket from the inside is more important. I do believe Jabril Cox is going to shine stopping those outside runs. He has the speed and instincts to do the job.

morasp

Reaction score
Mitchell ran 27 times for 96 yards and 3.6 yards per carry. What hurt them was Deebo Samuel running for 72 on 10 carries. That 26 yard TD run by Samuel was not because of the interior DL play. Like on offense, the Cowboys DL suffers from a lack of discipline. If they do their jobs individually, they are okay. It is when they over-pursue the misdirection that they get burned. I agree they need a solid run stuffer but someone who penetrates or pushes the pocket from the inside is more important. I do believe Jabril Cox is going to shine stopping those outside runs. He has the speed and instincts to do the job.
I'm all for collapsing the pocket but you have to stop the run first. The two Super Bowl teams had the 5th and 6th ranked run defenses in the league and we were ranked 16th. The Packers held them to 100 yards rushing and the Rams held them to 50 yards rushing. I don't believe it's only gap integrity. You plug a guy in that occupies two blockers full time w/o getting to the second level and the LBs will be much freer to do their job unencumbered. We saw it a little bit when Gallimore came back, the LBs suddenly were making more plays. He would be a role player that may not shine in the stats but makes the whole defense better. In the Super Bowl when the Bengals started to have success with Mixon Morris put Robinson in and shut it down.

Last edited:

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Jabrill Cox is not known as a superb run stopper, in fact stopping the run was his weakness coming out of college.

Hadenough

Reaction score
If they draft Gordon this year it renders your 2nd and 3rd round picks from last year useless unless Gordon busts.

Brown and Lewis are still here as well. Diggs mans one side.

Awful use of resources. They need to get over the obsession of trying to cover all day.

I'm glad that guys can be "sudden and dynamic" on the tackle after a reception for a first down, but....come on already with the corners high.

Invest in the trenches....or ANYWHERE......except corner. My goodness already
Agree! We saw what one great player at the LB/ DE has done. CBs just don't quite have the impact of that front 7.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Find it funny that after the fact so many fans would make different choices. It always is true that a fan expert would have picked this guy or that guy or would fire the GM or pseudo GM but the simple fact that every club has failed in choosing a first, second or third round choice. There is not a single GM today that hasn't been let go from his job with the exception of Jerry Jones and pseudo GM Will McClay. McClay and his scouts generate the reports of players that the coaches want to fit THEIR system of defense or offense. The GM is suppose to listen to the coaches and McClay based on those reports but as we all know Jerry many times has overruled those choices.

Looking at Taco vs T.J., even after the draft McClay acknowledge that they (McClay and scouts) had T.J. rank higher but Marinelli wanted Taco because he saw T.J. as only a 3-4 type defensive player. We all see how that worked out. And so did 28 other clubs who did not have him rated that high and yes there were a few clubs that did not have a 1st round pick but they could have traded up to get him if they thought he was worth it. Did Dallas make a mistake? Absolutely but as always hindsight is 20-20. The blame should be on Marinelli for not seeing the athlete T.J. was compared to Taco but even if we would have drafted T.J., then Marinelli would have put him probably at middle linebacker instead of DE which IMO would have been a waste.

Last year Jerry was all set on drafting a CB and we know that Parsons fell into our lap but you might also remember that we actually traded down 2 spots before we drafted him and if the Giants hadn't of traded #11 to Chicago then they could have very well taken him. We were lucky he was still there.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Find it funny that after the fact so many fans would make different choices. It always is true that a fan expert would have picked this guy or that guy or would fire the GM or pseudo GM but the simple fact that every club has failed in choosing a first, second or third round choice. There is not a single GM today that hasn't been let go from his job with the exception of Jerry Jones and pseudo GM Will McClay. McClay and his scouts generate the reports of players that the coaches want to fit THEIR system of defense or offense. The GM is suppose to listen to the coaches and McClay based on those reports but as we all know Jerry many times has overruled those choices.

Looking at Taco vs T.J., even after the draft McClay acknowledge that they (McClay and scouts) had T.J. rank higher but Marinelli wanted Taco because he saw T.J. as only a 3-4 type defensive player. We all see how that worked out. And so did 28 other clubs who did not have him rated that high and yes there were a few clubs that did not have a 1st round pick but they could have traded up to get him if they thought he was worth it. Did Dallas make a mistake? Absolutely but as always hindsight is 20-20. The blame should be on Marinelli for not seeing the athlete T.J. was compared to Taco but even if we would have drafted T.J., then Marinelli would have put him probably at middle linebacker instead of DE which IMO would have been a waste.

Last year Jerry was all set on drafting a CB and we know that Parsons fell into our lap but you might also remember that we actually traded down 2 spots before we drafted him and if the Giants hadn't of traded #11 to Chicago then they could have very well taken him. We were lucky he was still there.
Love this post! You just made my day.I’ve had this argument w/ a couple know it alls who strictly blamed McClay.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We keep ignoring the run stuffing DTs for the middle. They do more than stop the run, they clog the lanes and push so there is no pocket for the qb to step up into. And hinders the view of the passing lanes. Look at what donald did for the rams in the sb. I will say on that 4th down play where he knocked the ball down he was way offsides and should have been called. How in the world the HC didnt yell his head off at the refs before the snap I will never know. They usually have a ref standing right there before the snap looking down the line for this.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score

McClay had TJ ranked higher, but Marinelli loved Taco for scheme fit.Final call was NOT McClay.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Lol.

Just FYI ,Taco over McClay was NOT McClay’s call as McClay had TJ ranked higher.So , before you start spewing off, know what you’re talking about.