Twitter: Daniel Jeremiah on Quinn's defensive philosophy drafting players

Kingofholland

Reaction score
If they draft Gordon this year it renders your 2nd and 3rd round picks from last year useless unless Gordon busts.

Brown and Lewis are still here as well. Diggs mans one side.

Awful use of resources. They need to get over the obsession of trying to cover all day.

I'm glad that guys can be "sudden and dynamic" on the tackle after a reception for a first down, but....come on already with the corners high.

Invest in the trenches....or ANYWHERE......except corner. My goodness already

BPA, but agree CB is a crowded group right now. Much bigger needs at oline, dline, and LB. Perhaps TE, WR, and Safety become needs too depending on what happens in free agency.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Saying someone is "highly respected around the league" does not say much.

Lots of GMs get that label and they still get fired and held accountable.

But we are not talking about a GM who is held accountable for poor judgment.

We are talking about an executive who serves as a go-between between the Joneses and the coaching staff. And in the case of Charlton, he failed in a big way. A quality talent evaluator does not sit around and stress taking a clearly inferior player based on the coach telling him that he is better scheme fit.

There's a little bit of the fan's image of Stephen Jones a decade ago to Will McClay now. Where he's the supposed savior behind the scenes but is really just another incompetent boob.

I wouldn't say it's to the same degree as Stephen but there's definitely a similar vibe.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Saying someone is "highly respected around the league" does not say much.

Lots of GMs get that label and they still get fired and held accountable.

But we are not talking about a GM who is held accountable for poor judgment.

We are talking about an executive who serves as a go-between between the Joneses and the coaching staff. And in the case of Charlton, he failed in a big way. A quality talent evaluator does not sit around and stress taking a clearly inferior player based on the coach telling him that he is better scheme fit.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...a-mistake-i-wish-we-wouldve-selected-him/amp/

There you go.

dogberry

Reaction score
Donald (280 lbs) is listed as a DT and Sebastian Joseph Day (310 lbs) a NT and A ‘Shawn Robinson (330lbs) as a DE.

Whose defense tree is this from?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think speed is overrated on a DEF.
Maybe you're TV was broken and you missed Micah Parsons. He defines speed on defense.

Maybe your TV was broken when Jimmy was here.

Maybe you missed Deion's career.

DT Aaron Donald (6-1, 285).

DWare, Von Miller, Lawrence Taylor...

DT Jerome Brown (6-2, 292).

DT Randy White (6-4, 257)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those comments are just typical garbage from Stephen Jones. Marinelli can scream all he wants, but at the end of the day, people like McClay and Jones have the accountability factor. I do admire how he can say this, yet avoid all accountability.

I can still picture Stephen Jones after that draft when discussing Taco over Watt. He appeared to regret the decision already.

McClay wanted Watt and Marinelli wanted Taco.

Before Stephen took the reins, it was the opposite. Stephen promoted McClay to the top spot and pushed Ciscowski out.

The Joneses soured on Ciscowski because he didn't build relationships with coaches with regards to getting their input on the draft.

Stephen was determined to rectify that issue and went overboard in the other direction giving Marinelli far too much input on the draft.

The local sports talk radio guys say that McClay and Dan Quinn developed a great working relationship immediately.

We had already heard McClay talk about length repeated over the past several years.
- The Quinn comes in and amplifies that sentiment.

McClay made a statement on camera last year around draft time that could only be interpreted as McClay didn't like working with Marinelli.
- He spoke at length about how refreshing it was to have Quinn's input on the draft.

We do have to give Stephen credit for some decisions. Jerry would have re-signed Garrett, re-signed Witten until he was in a wheelchair, and never would have cut Jaylon Smith or Dez.

Majic

Reaction score
Maybe you're TV was broken and you missed Micah Parsons. He defines speed on defense.

Maybe your TV was broken when Jimmy was here.

Maybe you missed Deion's career.

DT Aaron Donald (6-1, 285).

DWare, Von Miller, Lawrence Taylor...

DT Jerome Brown (6-2, 292).

DT Randy White (6-4, 257)

No it was working. Of course you need speed on DEF, but you also need size to go alongside it. That was the point I was making

Sandyf

Reaction score
It probably will not surprise any of us if Dallas goes cheap at 1-tech, safety, and MLB (although MLB will be a higher priority than the other two). We might be scouring the free agents that will go rather cheaply in those areas.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
It probably will not surprise any of us if Dallas goes cheap at 1-tech, safety, and MLB (although MLB will be a higher priority than the other two). We might be scouring the free agents that will go rather cheaply in those areas.
The usual.Some things never change.