Danny White, Quincy Carter, Glenn Carano Appreciation *MERGED* Thread

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Danny White led the Cowboys to 3 straight NFC Championship games in the early 80's and is one of our most underappreciated and misunderstood QBs in our history.

Here is an interesting article about Danny White (source: sportscasting.com)

"Danny White took over in 1980 and exceeded expectations. White had started just one game in four years in Dallas and had attempted just 103 passes. Nobody knew quite what to expect but White was fantastic. Starting all 16 games, he led the Cowboys to a 12-4 record, throwing for 3,287 yards and 28 touchdowns, all while still maintaining his role as the punter."

"In his career, Danny White threw for 21,959 yards. Roger Staubach threw for 22,700. White threw for 155 touchdowns for the Cowboys. Staubach threw for 153. With four more years than White as a starter, Troy Aikman threw 164. White had a winning percentage of .674 as a starter. Aikman’s was .569. Even take away that dreadful first year for Aikman when the Cowboys were 1-15 (Aikman was 0-11 as a starter) and his winning percentage is still lower at .610."

What do you think about Danny White's time as our QB? If you're not old enough to have seen him play, then you've likely heard a lot of disparaging remarks about White and they would be wrong.
Not a popular opinion, but I always thought Danny was a better QB than a 37 year old Roger was.
Only thing is Danny didn't have the talented team around him that Roger did. Jmo.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I liked him. I HATE when QB's play other spots like punter and place holder.

QB need to be on sideline going over stuff

ArtClink

Reaction score
I was 12 when he took over. Obviously I was less than thrilled when Roger retired, but I thought White was a solid QB. A lot of my best memories are from both Staubach and White.
Yeah those years built the Cowboys into the elite organization they became.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Let's remember Glenn Carano, who barely played in the pros, but fathered one of the first great female MMA stars who when on to protect baby Yoda!
I had the biggest crush on Carano!! I thought he was so hot!! LOL

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Danny White you can argue as being better than Romo and Dak. Adding Quincy Carter to the appreciation thread makes it seem trollish.

mrmojo

Reaction score
No, that one of course I know...but didn't Roger get injured in a playoff game after the '78 season, and White ended up playing a good portion of that game? Maybe I'm going batty in my old age...

You are correct t, Roger got knocked out of the 77 game, the game was close but Danny kept it together for the win, he was a good athlete and very underrated.

rickster14

Reaction score
Read somewhere that Dallas considered drafting Joe Montana, but were happy with their 3rd stringer (Carano). What could have been

csirl

Reaction score
I see parallels between Matt Stafford and Danny White. Talented enough to carry a team through the playoffs and win a SB, but prone to mistakes from time to time. Only for "the catch" he may well have ended up as a SB winner and considered one of the Cowoys greats

dupree89

Reaction score
I loved Danny White. And how about Danny on fake punts? I don't remember him throwing much out of punt formation, but I do remember him running!!! His conversion rate must have been very very high.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Danny White took the Cowboys deeper in the playoffs 3 seasons in a row than Romo or Dak ever did. He had to fill the shoes of the legendary Roger Staubach, no small task. I greatly respect Danny White.
Not to take anything away from White but he was also on a loaded roster. Better all-around teams than anything Romo or Dak ever had.

Unfortunately for White, the Cowboys' steady decline from the mid-80's onward happened at the same time his career was at it's peak. And White was unfairly made the scapegoat. He was one of the best QB's of his era but the history books will just show him as a guy that couldn't quite get it done. And he never truly won over the Cowboys' fan base either because he was not Roger.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
He was with the Cowboys for six seasons, and his only start was the first game I attended.

Dec 6, 1981 at Baltimore. 38-7 win.

Danny White was injured in the previous game…a 10-9 win over Chicago on Thanksgiving. I guess Coach figured he could beat the winless Colts regardless.
IIRC we ran the ball about 40 times in that game. Dorsett had almost 200 yards and Ron Springs had a bunch as well.
edit, Dorsett had 175 yards, James Jones had 86 yards, and Ron Springs had 40 yards.
Carano was 7-18 passing for 51 yards.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Danny White led the Cowboys to 3 straight NFC Championship games in the early 80's and is one of our most underappreciated and misunderstood QBs in our history.

Here is an interesting article about Danny White (source: sportscasting.com)

"Danny White took over in 1980 and exceeded expectations. White had started just one game in four years in Dallas and had attempted just 103 passes. Nobody knew quite what to expect but White was fantastic. Starting all 16 games, he led the Cowboys to a 12-4 record, throwing for 3,287 yards and 28 touchdowns, all while still maintaining his role as the punter."

"In his career, Danny White threw for 21,959 yards. Roger Staubach threw for 22,700. White threw for 155 touchdowns for the Cowboys. Staubach threw for 153. With four more years than White as a starter, Troy Aikman threw 164. White had a winning percentage of .674 as a starter. Aikman’s was .569. Even take away that dreadful first year for Aikman when the Cowboys were 1-15 (Aikman was 0-11 as a starter) and his winning percentage is still lower at .610."

What do you think about Danny White's time as our QB? If you're not old enough to have seen him play, then you've likely heard a lot of disparaging remarks about White and they would be wrong.
White should be ranked no worse than 4th or 5th best QB in team history with only Staubach & Aikman clearly ahead, and Morton & Meredith as peers. I rate based upon contending and these 5 QBs are the only serious contender QBs we've ever had.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not a popular opinion, but I always thought Danny was a better QB than a 37 year old Roger was.
Only thing is Danny didn't have the talented team around him that Roger did. Jmo.
You can’t be serious. :facepalm: Staubach had arguably his best season at 38, his final season. The team White inherited was only 2 years removed from their last SB appearance and had a number of key players under 30.

dupree89

Reaction score
Glen Carano ? His only gift to Dallas fans was his gorgeous daughter Gina. Love her.
I havent read through the entire thread yet, so maybe this has been mentioned. His only career start was against the Colts. And that day the Colts starter was lefty David Humm. It turned out to be his first and last career start too. Thats a strange bit of trivia, no?

Reaction score
Aalll Riight, CZers!!!!
Get in here to create a thread about your favorite Dallas Cowboys Quarterback!!!!
-The players are listed in chronological order
- Feel free to do research on them (even if you've never seen them play live) -- and pick the guy that you fancy!!!!
• Eddie Lebaron
• Don Heinrich
• Jeff & Hazel's Baby Boy & Billy Jack's Little Brother
• John Roach
• Craig Morton
• Jerry Rhome
• The Dodger
• Clint Longley
• Glenn Carano (his 2nd daughter--- hot!
• Gary Hogeboom
• Steve Pelluer
• Reggie Collier
• Kevin Sweeney
• Steve Walsh
• the Babe
• Steve Beuerlein
• the clapper
----Bernie and Rodney
....Oh - dinners ready...can some take the baton and finish the task?
A great list, however it doesn’t include Bob Belden. He was the 3rd string QB after Jerry Rhome was traded way back in 1969. Active for 1 game, no stats. As a scrub myself I have appreciated him all these years.