Danny White, Quincy Carter, Glenn Carano Appreciation *MERGED* Thread

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo was a better scrambler, but not a better QB. White was a post season winner, Romo a post season loser.
You’re basing White being better because he had 5 playoff wins but that was mostly due to the great teams he had. Once those teams declined White struggled. By the way, I wouldn’t call White a postseason winner, he had a 5-5 playoff record.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Danny inherited an aging team defensively; they were transitioning to younger players in the early 80's. Which makes what he did even better. If that defense was just a bit better in the 80's, ie younger, Danny wins 1 Title. His numbers rival Rogers. Btw, why did we merge the likes of Glenn Carano and "Quinthy" Cocaine Carter with Danny? He deserves his very own stand-alone thread. Those other guys were bums.
Many of the key players on defense were under 30 when Danny White took over in 1980. John Dutton, Bob Breunig, Benny Barnes, Mike Hegman, Too Tall Jones, Dennis Thurman and Randy White were all under 30. Harvey Martin didn’t turn 30 until late in the 1980 season. That team White inherited was loaded! Everson Walls came along in 1981. White threw 25 INTs in 1980 but the team was so good they were able to overcome them until the playoffs. He had 5 INTs in the playoffs and 4 fumbles that season. He was a “good” QB who folded in the biggest games and was carried at times by his running game and defense. Had Staubach not had to retire the Cowboys would have probably won a couple of more SBs. I don’t think they would have beat the 82 Washington team at RFK. That was a terrific team. It was right about then when age started catching up with the Cowboys.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Loved Danny. Should have won a SB. Did more than Tony or Dak ever did for this franchise. Great punter also.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Bought his jersey immediately after he led us to a win vs the 49ers in 2001.

That was the highlight of the 2001 season... revenge for T.O. running to the star in 2000.

I still have the jersey somewhere. Cautionary tale for getting too excited about a player too quickly.
:laugh:
I recorded that game on VHS and watched it a fair bit in the 2002 offseason lol

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Didn’t notice a Glen Carano and Quincy Carter appreciation thread. That pretty much cheapens the Romo and Danny White appreciation threads. You guys that are just looking for different ways to make it look like our current QB situation is the worst in team history are failing miserably.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Love Danny White. Thought he was gritty and had some dog in him. I’d put him between Romo and Dak and he was one of my fave Cowboys. Him being a punter drove defenses crazy on 4th down. Loved it.

ArtClink

Reaction score
You’re basing White being better because he had 5 playoff wins but that was mostly due to the great teams he had. Once those teams declined White struggled. By the way, I wouldn’t call White a postseason winner, he had a 5-5 playoff record.
How old are you? I saw every game White and Romo played and I’ll take Danny White any day over Romo. If you saw Danny White play and still prefer Romo, then we just have differing opinions.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
How old are you? I saw every game White and Romo played and I’ll take Danny White any day over Romo. If you saw Danny White play and still prefer Romo, then we just have differing opinions.
I started following the Cowboys in 1972 and saw every snap White and Romo took. Romo was much more athletic and was a greater playmaker than White and it’s not even debatable. White never had to throw the ball near as much as Romo because he had a great running game and defense for a majority of his career. He had Tony Dorsett and Herschel Walker to hand the ball to. He had Drew Pearson and Tony Hill. He had Randy White, Too Tall Jones and Harvey Martin on defense. Romo never played on great teams like that. White never had to do near as much as Romo. You’re allowing White’s 5 playoff wins to sway your thinking. White also had 5 playoff losses and ended up getting benched later in his career.

ArtClink

Reaction score
I started following the Cowboys in 1972 and saw every snap White and Romo took. Romo was much more athletic and was a greater playmaker than White and it’s not even debatable. White never had to throw the ball near as much as Romo because he had a great running game and defense for a majority of his career. He had Tony Dorsett and Herschel Walker to hand the ball to. He had Drew Pearson and Tony Hill. He had Randy White, Too Tall Jones and Harvey Martin on defense. Romo never played on great teams like that. White never had to do near as much as Romo. You’re allowing White’s 5 playoff wins to sway your thinking. White also had 5 playoff losses and ended up getting benched later in his career.
Then I respect your opinion of DW much more since you saw him play. We disagree but I respect your opinion.

Flamma

Reaction score
Danny White led the Cowboys to 3 straight NFC Championship games in the early 80's and is one of our most underappreciated and misunderstood QBs in our history.

Here is an interesting article about Danny White (source: sportscasting.com)

"Danny White took over in 1980 and exceeded expectations. White had started just one game in four years in Dallas and had attempted just 103 passes. Nobody knew quite what to expect but White was fantastic. Starting all 16 games, he led the Cowboys to a 12-4 record, throwing for 3,287 yards and 28 touchdowns, all while still maintaining his role as the punter."

"In his career, Danny White threw for 21,959 yards. Roger Staubach threw for 22,700. White threw for 155 touchdowns for the Cowboys. Staubach threw for 153. With four more years than White as a starter, Troy Aikman threw 164. White had a winning percentage of .674 as a starter. Aikman’s was .569. Even take away that dreadful first year for Aikman when the Cowboys were 1-15 (Aikman was 0-11 as a starter) and his winning percentage is still lower at .610."

What do you think about Danny White's time as our QB? If you're not old enough to have seen him play, then you've likely heard a lot of disparaging remarks about White and they would be wrong.
I was 12 when he took over. Obviously I was less than thrilled when Roger retired, but I thought White was a solid QB. A lot of my best memories are from both Staubach and White.

GMO415

Reaction score
Aalll Riight, CZers!!!!
Get in here to create a thread about your favorite Dallas Cowboys Quarterback!!!!
-The players are listed in chronological order
- Feel free to do research on them (even if you've never seen them play live) -- and pick the guy that you fancy!!!!
• Eddie Lebaron
• Don Heinrich
• Jeff & Hazel's Baby Boy & Billy Jack's Little Brother
• John Roach
• Craig Morton
• Jerry Rhome
• The Dodger
• Clint Longley
• Glenn Carano (his 2nd daughter--- hot!
• Gary Hogeboom
• Steve Pelluer
• Reggie Collier
• Kevin Sweeney
• Steve Walsh
• the Babe
• Steve Beuerlein
• the clapper
----Bernie and Rodney
....Oh - dinners ready...can some take the baton and finish the task?
Beurlein and Kosar were clutch.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Danny White had a great start to the 1986 season. Led the league in QBR until Giants LB, Carl Banks, broke White's throwing hand. Two years later, he was gone.

Just adding info to the thread.
My two cents is Romo had more physical ability than
White. They both were just good enough to piss us off...lol.
To your point...
When I think of Romo's Era, I think of Tony Romo.
When I think of White's Era, I think of Tony Dorsett.

Flamma

Reaction score
Danny White and Dallas would have reached Super Bowl XVI if Drew Pearson had fought his way through Eric Wright's fingertip holding onto the lip of the back of his jersey. It would have regulated 'The Catch' to just another occasional NFL highlight.

Oh well. That game firmly added San Francisco onto my short list of the only NFL franchises I dislike, along with Washington and Pittsburgh.
Talk about a tight window pass.

Even then, they only needed about 10-15 more yards to get into FG range, and they had plenty of time. I guess there was no tuck rule back then.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Danny White had a great start to the 1986 season. Led the league in QBR until Giants LB, Carl Banks, broke White's throwing hand. Two years later, he was gone.

Just adding info to the thread.
My two cents is Romo had more physical ability than
White. They both were just good enough to piss us off...lol.
To your point...
When I think of Romo's Era, I think of Tony Romo.
Landry had pretty much given up on White after the 82 title game loss to Washington. He was convinced he couldn’t win a title with him. He attempted to trade White and some other players along with draft picks to the Colts for the rights to John Elway. Gil Brandt talked about in an interview. He said the offer the Cowboys made was better than the offer the Broncos made but the Colts went with the Broncos offer. The bottom line is White was a good QB but no Cowboys all-time QB ranking has him ahead of Romo.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think of the fumble against San Francisco in the 81 title game. That’s what most remember him for. One of the biggest disappointments in Cowboys history. His career could have gone a lot differently had Drew Pearson been wearing a tear away jersey on what would have been the game winning TD, the play before the fumble.

tm1119

Reaction score
Fun fact- Danny white had 163 career TD’s (throwing + rushing) and 200 career turnovers (INT’s + fumbles)

That’s objectively terrible. This is just a case of you remembering the good old days fondly. I get it, we all do it with things, but doesn’t make your nostalgia fact.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Landry had pretty much given up on White after the 82 title game loss to Washington. He was convinced he couldn’t win a title with him. He attempted to trade White and some other players along with draft picks to the Colts for the rights to John Elway. Gil Brandt talked about in an interview. He said the offer the Cowboys made was better than the offer the Broncos made but the Colts went with the Broncos offer. The bottom line is White was a good QB but no Cowboys all-time QB ranking has him ahead of Romo.
Yep, the Colts were ready to do the deal. Then suddenly the Colts owner stepped in and squashed it.
Probably didn't want to "reward" the kid who refused to play for him by sending him to the Dallas Cowboys.