Danny White's special message for the Musers on The Ticket

Tractor1

Reaction score
That would actually be Slinging Sammy Baugh.

Primarily known for his passing prowess, Baugh led the league in completion percentage a record eight times, passing yards four times, and an NFL record six times in passer rating,[2] among other statistics.[1] However, he was also known for his versatility—having the ability to play at a high level as a punter as well as a defensive back. Throughout his career, he led the league in yards per punt five times, as well as yardage in 1943, a year in which he also led the league in defensive interceptions, with 11.[1] His yards per punt of 51.4 during the 1940 season still stands as an NFL record as of 2018.[3]

Also a hell of a DB.

I met Sammy Baugh in a Dairy Queen in Rotan,Tx back in the early 90s. Interesting gentlemen. He seemed especially proud of his punting record, but opined that someone in the thin air of Denver would eventually break it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I met Sammy Baugh in a Dairy Queen in Rotan,Tx back in the early 90s. Interesting gentlemen. He seemed especially proud of his punting record, but opined that someone in the thin air of Denver would eventually break it.
I never met Sammy, but know people that did. Interesting that he ended up in Rotan. Not much there and not exactly the prettiest part of Texas. Apparently he was quite a character with a lot of stories, all laced with plenty of profanity.

Interesting he was proudest of punting. Maybe that’s why he was so good at it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It was always interesting to me that he seemed to use his legs more than his arm to get first downs as a punter.

I would think the odds are a little higher of converting a fourth down as a punter by running rather than throwing it. White’s fake punts were never by design he would just see a lane and takeoff. I’m not sure but Landry may have given him the green light to takeoff if he saw an opportunity. From what I remember when he stutter stepped and took off it worked most of the time.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would think the odds are a little higher of converting a fourth down as a punter by running rather than throwing it. White’s fake punts were never by design he would just see a lane and takeoff. I’m not sure but Landry may have given him the green light to takeoff if he saw an opportunity. From what I remember when he stutter stepped and took off it worked most of the time.
I think you are right. Landry told him it was his call. If the opportunity was there, he could take it. What a great player.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Danny White is far too under-appreciated. He is one of my all-time favorite Cowboys. That was a cool sneak peek at his "man cave".

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GOOD POINT. People forget he was our punter too. A pretty good one at that.

It would be great to have an offensive or defensive starter that was also the punter. That saves a roster spot on both the 53 and 46 man rosters (55 and 48 in 2020).

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was the 80's Tony Romo.

Danny White is a good person and probably underrated as a player but he drove me insane with his INTs.

He threw INTs at some of the worst possible times.

He had 25 INTs his first season as a full time starter.

White was also involved in my very worst memory as a Cowboys fan. He was the starting QB in the 85 home game 0-44 loss to the Bears.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Danny White is a good person and probably underrated as a player but he drove me insane with his INTs.

He threw INTs at some of the worst possible times.

He had 25 INTs his first season as a full time starter.

White was also involved in my very worst memory as a Cowboys fan. He was the starting QB in the 85 home game 0-44 loss to the Bears.
That 84 & 85 Bears team was pretty darn good, but that loss did hurt.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I was a kid my dad told me Danny White punted a ball through the roof at Texas Stadium:muttley:
Never heard that story, but wouldn't doubt it. I went to high school in El Paso and remember when he'd come to play UTEP. He was sneaky as hell in college.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
He was having a great year until he broke his wrist in the Meadowlands... we had a solid receiving corps and Dorsett and Walker in the backfield.
I really thought we had a chance to win it all that year, but once Danny went down, we collapsed with Pelluer at QB.

MississippiMud

Reaction score
Loved watching Danny play while growing up. Actually moved to Mesa Arizona when I was Jr. High and went to the same Jr. High school and High School that he went to.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Loved watching Danny play while growing up. Actually moved to Mesa Arizona when I was Jr. High and went to the same Jr. High school and High School that he went to.
we lived in Cottonwood AZ...and I went to HS there for about 1 year … Loved the area. Danny was winding down his career by that time. I think it was 87. The team wasn't good anymore and Danny couldn't overcome the lack of talent the team had everywhere. He was still damn good in the late 80's...but with the ownership change and the coaching change, that was it for him. I would have LOVED to seen him play for Jimmy Johnson for a year...just to see what would have happened.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
I was such a huge Danny White fan as a kid in the 80s. I still say he is the most underrated qb in the history of the Cowboys. He only had to follow in Roger’s footsteps and went to three NFC Championships. If not for Dwight Clark I believe he’d have a Lombardi on his mantle by his own doing. He would have then been the Steve Young of our franchise basically.

Plankton

Reaction score
Wow, what a Cowboys player. Best combination of QB1 and punter ever.

While White was a good one, Sammy Baugh was the best combo of QB1, punter, and we'll even throw in safety ever.