DantheMan 2016 Draft Thread

dantheman41

Reaction score
Hey guys, want to start a new draft thread and start reviewing these players ASAP. Really excited about this. Going to start with QB's first. Mod's if you can please sticky this. Any input or players you guys want me to review?

Will hopefully get to even more then in previous years because I am starting early.

====================

MOD EDIT : Please keep this thread on topic. DantheMan is being helpful and giving his own evaluations of players in the draft. This thread does not need littered with topics of personal arguments, the perceived strategy of Jerry when it comes to drafting, arguments about the scouting staff or other arguments that take away from the main topic of player evaluations. Now if you happen to have a different opinion on a draft evaluation, that is ok to discuss as long as it is within in the rules and does not turn into a long winded personal argument. Posts that run off topic will be deleted in this thread with no further warning.

Last edited by a moderator:

dantheman41

Reaction score
Paxton Lynch QB - 6'7 245 lbs (Memphis)

Positives:
Rare size and measurable. Very quick release. Throws the ball effortlessly. Moves really well, and throws outstanding on the move both to his left and to his right. Play maker, excellent with ball in his hands. Outstanding at play fakes. Very hard to bring down. Throws rockets.

Negatives: Plays in a shotgun, read option type of offense hard to project his ability in a pro style. Would like to see him stay in the pocket and throw darts, moves a little too much for my liking especially with his size. Don't see him take over games even against inferior opponents.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: I like him a lot but I worry too much of their offense was manufactured plays designed to hit 1st read. I don't see him takeover game which worries me. Not sure I feel he is an elite QB prospect. Too much with him is projection which scares me a bit. I don't feel completely sold. Very good prospect, not elite.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I admittedly haven't watched him much live, but I have watched pretty much everything that has been posted here on Paxton Lynch and I sincerely question his accuracy. I know he is completing at almost 70% this season, but a huge chunk of that is the high amount of bubble and WR screens they run. When he is on the move or throws deep-intermediate, I see a lot of spraying the ball around. He is low, high, ahead and/or behind. I don't know if it is mechanical, but that is the biggest thing I have taken away from what I have seen. He moves fluidly outside the pocket and looks comfortable, but the ball doesn't seem to be where it should be consistently. He also gets happy feet very quickly when he has to actually make reads.

Reaction score
Paxton Lynch QB - 6'7 245 lbs (Memphis)

Positives:
Rare size and measurable. Very quick release. Throws the ball effortlessly. Moves really well, and throws outstanding on the move both to his left and to his right. Play maker, excellent with ball in his hands. Outstanding at play fakes. Very hard to bring down. Throws rockets.

Negatives: Plays in a shotgun, read option type of offense hard to project his ability in a pro style. Would like to see him stay in the pocket and throw darts, moves a little too much for my liking especially with his size. Don't see him take over games even against inferior opponents.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: I like him a lot but I worry too much of their offense was manufactured plays designed to hit 1st read. I don't see him takeover game which worries me. Not sure I feel he is an elite QB prospect. Too much with him is projection which scares me a bit. I don't feel completely sold. Very good prospect, not elite.

If the kid is smart (and I don't know if he is), he can be taught to play in a pro style offense. If the Cowboys were to draft him, he would sit at least 2 years. That should be enough time for him to learn how to play in a pro style offense and how to process information quickly, which is critical to succeeding in any offense.

He has all the necessary tools. It would just be a matter of processing what he sees in front of him and adjusting accordingly. This can be taught, if he's smart enough. Some QB's are and some are not.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Can you do Wentz.I like him but his throwing motion is funky.he needs a major correction imo.

tm1119

Reaction score
The Memphis offense scares me too, but how many schools are running something even resembling a pro style offense anymore? I know there are still some out there, but there aren't many and even fewer with QB's that have legit NFL tools. Avoiding a QB that ran the shotgun spread/read option is going to be pretty difficult to do.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on QB Wentz.

Also as a personal favor...down the road could you review a few WVU players for me...

Karl Joseph
KJ Dillon

Nick Kwiatkoski

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Read option QB's are not my cup of tea. I'll be honest I don't really know much about him but he sounds a lot like Newton from the analysis

If he's like Newton, that's a good thing. Newton is a duel threat, even though he doesn't run as much. And he's hard to take down. If this guy is like Newton, he's a top pick.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Also as a personal favor...down the road could you review a few WVU players for me...

Karl Joseph
KJ Dillon

Nick Kwiatkoski

My son, who plays corner in high school and hopes to get a scholarship at an SEC school, introduced me to Karl Joseph, so I'm interested in an evaluation on him.
He's too small to play strong safety in the NFL, but he has the speed and quickness (not to mention the tackling ability) to play corner.

Kalyan

Reaction score
I hope we take a QB (Goff or Lynch) in first round and take a bruising RB (Henry, Elliot) in the second round and wish we hit on both of these. The rest of the team is set for the next 10 years, defense needs some players but we need QB that can learn behind Romo for 1-2 years

cds99

Reaction score
How about a review on Goff and a second on Wentz. Thanks

DFWJC

Reaction score
Dallas WILL take a QB--regardless of round--if that player is at the top of the team's board at the time.
This is not in question, imo.
Now, will a QB be at the top of their board in the 1st or 2nd round? No idea.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
I want goff... if he's not there, go BPA (hopefully ramsey or bosa) and target wentz

Dracula

Reaction score
If available, go with Derrick Henry or Elliot from Ohio State in the first round. There just isn't any QB's coming out that dominate the QB landscape like Henry or Elliot do as running backs.

dantheman41

Reaction score

Karl Joseph
KJ Dillon

Nick Kwiatkoski

Absolutely! Would love to as long as there's video on draft breakdown :)

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely! Would love to as long as there's video on draft breakdown :)

Well...Karl Joseph was injured early in the season and it was a season ending injury so I don't know who much tape you would have on him from this year but at the time of his injury he was leading in INTs. But there should be plenty of tape on him from previous years.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ladies and Gentlemen.

Can we stop polluting the thread with side arguments.

This thread is for dantheman to give us his evaluations of various players in this years draft.

Let's try to keep this on topic so others do not have to wade threw post after post of people arguing about stuff that has no bearing on this years draft or the picks in this years draft.

So if you had some post deleted in this thread...so be it because it makes it easier for those interested in the topic of the thread to find what they are looking for instead of wading through other people's personal arguments.