DantheMan 2016 Draft Thread

dantheman41

Reaction score
Jared Goff QB - 6'4 210 lbs (Cal)

Positives:
Very good foot movement in the pocket. Good eyes, really sees the field well. Isn't hooked on his first read. Comfortable rolling out to his right and left. Will take the safe throw, throw it away, or even take the sack if nothing available down the field. Can really create with his feet and extend plays, but isn't reliant on it. Played outstanding against some really tough competition. Extremely accurate on short to immediate throws. Uses a lot of ball fakes to throw off defenders. Doesn't get panicky when pressure gets close, stands in and makes the throw. Really good balance and staying on his feet in the pocket, doesn't go down easily.

Negatives: Plays in a very simple, shotgun offense. Would like to see him take more snaps under center. Doesn't take a lot of chances down the field, and when he does, his deep ball accuracy isn't great. Throws it often times too shallow on deep balls or his ball takes a serious nose dive. Lot of dink and dumps, isn't very exciting. Very average arm, not a great arm. Think Matt Ryan or Teddy Bridgewater.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: Much more of a true pocket passer then Lynch which I like. I don't think he is an elite QB prospect, but I personally would take him before Lynch. Why? I feel what Goff does successful is much more transferrable then what Lynch does. Goff stands in pocket and makes throws, uses his feet when needed. He's also succeeded against much tougher competition. Lynch is too reliant on his feet practically every play. I don't feel either is a top 5 pick. I would give Goff a B+ grade and Lynch a B. I think Goff's ceiling might be a little lower but his floor is much higher. Will not bust in NFL.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Paxton Lynch QB - 6'7 245 lbs (Memphis)

Positives:
Rare size and measurable. Very quick release. Throws the ball effortlessly. Moves really well, and throws outstanding on the move both to his left and to his right. Play maker, excellent with ball in his hands. Outstanding at play fakes. Very hard to bring down. Throws rockets.

Negatives: Plays in a shotgun, read option type of offense hard to project his ability in a pro style. Would like to see him stay in the pocket and throw darts, moves a little too much for my liking especially with his size. Don't see him take over games even against inferior opponents.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: I like him a lot but I worry too much of their offense was manufactured plays designed to hit 1st read. I don't see him takeover game which worries me. Not sure I feel he is an elite QB prospect. Too much with him is projection which scares me a bit. I don't feel completely sold. Very good prospect, not elite.

I disagree that Lynch has an extremely quick release. To me, he looks like he has a bit of a long-armed windup.

I agree with everything else, but I'd add that I think he throws a really nice long ball.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Jared Goff QB - 6'4 210 lbs (Cal)

Positives:
Very good foot movement in the pocket. Good eyes, really sees the field well. Isn't hooked on his first read. Comfortable rolling out to his right and left. Will take the safe throw, throw it away, or even take the sack if nothing available down the field. Can really create with his feet and extend plays, but isn't reliant on it. Played outstanding against some really tough competition. Extremely accurate on short to immediate throws. Uses a lot of ball fakes to throw off defenders. Doesn't get panicky when pressure gets close, stands in and makes the throw. Really good balance and staying on his feet in the pocket, doesn't go down easily.

Negatives: Plays in a very simple, shotgun offense. Would like to see him take more snaps under center. Doesn't take a lot of chances down the field, and when he does, his deep ball accuracy isn't great. Throws it often times too shallow on deep balls or his ball takes a serious nose dive. Lot of dink and dumps, isn't very exciting. Very average arm, not a great arm. Think Matt Ryan or Teddy Bridgewater.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: Much more of a true pocket passer then Lynch which I like. I don't think he is an elite QB prospect, but I personally would take him before Lynch. Why? I feel what Goff does successful is much more transferrable then what Lynch does. Goff stands in pocket and makes throws, uses his feet when needed. He's also succeeded against much tougher competition. Lynch is too reliant on his feet practically every play. I don't feel either is a top 5 pick. I would give Goff a B+ grade and Lynch a B. I think Goff's ceiling might be a little lower but his floor is much higher. Will not bust in NFL.

How do you compare Goff's release to Lynch's? To my eye, Goff's mechanics look more compact. I don't know about reading defenses and stuff, but Goff can chuck the rock. I prefer him to Lynch too.

dantheman41

Reaction score
How do you compare Goff's release to Lynch's? To my eye, Goff's mechanics look more compact. I don't know about reading defenses and stuff, but Goff can chuck the rock. I prefer him to Lynch too.

Yeah I should have commented on that. I agree, Goff looks more complete. Seems to have progressed a lot in his mechanics in his years at Cal. Reading defenses and using his eyes has certainly improved this year as well. Goff is the more finished project. Lynch has the higher upside

VACowboy

Reaction score
Yeah I should have commented on that. I agree, Goff looks more complete. Seems to have progressed a lot in his mechanics in his years at Cal. Reading defenses and using his eyes has certainly improved this year as well. Goff is the more finished project. Lynch has the higher upside

You said you wouldn't take either top-five. Dallas is sitting at #6. :D

Which players do you select before a QB?

1. Bosa
2. Ramsey
3. Nkemdiche
4. Smith
5. Jack (knee pending)
6. maybe Treadwell
7. Hargreaves?

If we're picking and Tunsil is on the board, I bet Jerry's bat phone is ringing off the hook. Do you take another franchise OT top-10? Imagine THAT offensive front!

dantheman41

Reaction score

1. Bosa
2. Ramsey
3. Nkemdiche
4. Smith
5. Jack (knee pending)
6. maybe Treadwell
7. Hargreaves?

If we're picking and Tunsil is on the board, I bet Jerry's bat phone is ringing off the hook. Do you take another franchise OT top-10? Imagine THAT offensive front!

That is a great question! That is what my studying will tell me when I get a few more guys done. Haven't watched any of them besides the occasional game here and there.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Connor Cook QB - 6'4 220 lbs (Michigan State)

Positives:
Really quick release. Ideal NFL QB size with ability to take on hits consistently. Not afraid to throw in tight windows or in space. Can throw the timing patterns routes excellent. Shows throughout his tape that he can make all the throws needed in the NFL. Really nice job using play fakes and fooling defenses.

Negatives:
Looks at first read a little too often causing defenses to easily read his passes. Can be a little careless throwing into congested areas constantly. Down the field accuracy was very erratic. Doesn't threaten defenses with his running ability at all, rarely will run. Has an outstanding offensive line that consistently gives him an unbelievable amount of time. His mechanics can be all over the place with his ball often times fluttering and hanging in the air. Read reports of having issues and a unique personality in the locker room, and wasn't a team leader. Occasionally will miss the wide open throw.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: Not a 1st round QB in my opinion. Has elite skill players, elite offensive line and he still fails to impress me. 3rd round QB to me. Has some nice traits, but far more concerns and negatives to draft him to be my franchise QB. Going to be a high interception player in NFL. Add the fact that he can be a problem in the locker room and has difficult time getting along with players, sorry but I'll pass.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Christian Hackenberg QB - 6'4 235 lbs (Penn State)

Positives:
Outstanding arm strength. Very similar body mold to Andrew Luck, big and strong. Can throw accurately on the run. Had to deal with an awful offensive line and rarely had time to throw. Very poised in the pocket, doesn't get panicky.

Negatives:
Looks like he's stuck in quick sand at times. Takes him a second to react, and very slow making reads down the field. Takes FAR too many easy sacks, and goes down way too easily considering his size. Needs to learn to get rid of the ball. His accuracy is all over the place. Looks like he's regressed this year instead of getting better. At times you will think "what was that throw and who was that even to?" Telegraphs his short passes and on deeper throws just throws them up almost like hail mary and hopes receiver comes down with it.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: Like him as a 2nd round QB. Needs a year or two to refine his skills and work on a few things but has really big upside. He's an Andrew Luck light. I would like to see him with better offensive line and skills players, the fact that he was constantly getting killed hurts the ability to scout him. Definitely some concerns and worries, but I would take a chance on this kid. Was a top 10 pick before the season started but had a down year this year.

tm1119

Reaction score
While you're still on QB's take a look at Nate Sudfeld if you get a chance. If there is a sleeper in this class he's mine. 6'6 240 and throws a pretty nice ball

Sydla

Reaction score
While you're still on QB's take a look at Nate Sudfeld if you get a chance. If there is a sleeper in this class he's mine. 6'6 240 and throws a pretty nice ball

Which of IU's QBs has the weird throwing motion? Is it the frosh who came in when Sudfeld got nicked up?

tm1119

Reaction score
Which of IU's QBs has the weird throwing motion? Is it the frosh who came in when Sudfeld got nicked up?

Don't recall seeing the other Indiana QB throw, but pretty sure it's not Sudfeld you're thinking of. His release could be a little quicker, but wouldn't say his motion is weird.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Carson Wentz QB - 6'5 223 lbs (North Dakota State)

Positives:
Outstanding and prototypical NFL size with the frame to continue to get stronger. This kid is a playmaker. Will stand in the pocket and deliver the ball even with pressure bearing down. Dual threat QB, can run on designed run plays or when play breaks down. Shows outstanding elusiveness and rb traits in the open field. Really tough kid who will fight for every yard and really frustrate defenses. Can throw with precise accuracy on the run. Excellent feet in the pocket. Shows good decision making, will rarely throw to a receiver who is not open. Will put the ball where only receiver can get it, or no one can get it. Plays in somewhat of a pro style offense, can take the ball under center. Has a good feel for defenses and understanding the mental side of playing QB. Can make every throw. Has a really good arm.

Negatives:
Played against inferior competition, really interested to see what he does competing in the senior bowl against top competition. Too many designed run plays that won't work in NFL against NFL athletes. Balls can sometimes flutter and accuracy is a little inconsistent.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: Watched closely his game against Iowa St last year because of solid competition and he didn't disappoint at all. This kid is an absolute playmaker. My guess is he is going to rise up draft boards during the evaluation process in the spring. Going to take more stock in his senior bowl week and pro days then I would most. This kid is my favorite QB in the draft. 1st rounder in my opinion. The only real difference maker I've seen. Will only get better.

Sydla

Reaction score
Wentz is the guy I would take. Move up into the late 1st round or hope he slips to the low 2nd round.

garyv

Reaction score
If available, go with Derrick Henry or Elliot from Ohio State in the first round. There just isn't any QB's coming out that dominate the QB landscape like Henry or Elliot do as running backs.

Henry from Alabama scares me ALOT Bust potential !!!

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really liked Karl Joseph....sucks that he got hurt. I'm always leery of a guy coming off an serious knee injury.......

http://www.wvillustrated.com/story/30258908/karl-joseph-posts-picture-following-knee-surgery

Injuries give me pause as well...but he was injured early on and this was one major injury that I can recall while at WVU....oh and he was leading the nation in INTs before he got injured.

Plus...It's a homer thing...I am sure you would understand. ;)

On a side note...Heard that D. Worley might enter the draft, he might start creeping up the charts with a good combine.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Thanks Dan.

1. Bosa
2. Ramsey
3. Nkemdiche
4. Smith
5. Jack (knee pending)
6. maybe Treadwell
7. Hargreaves?

Chargers and Titans both need OL help badly. With the future of the Titans leaving on Mariota, he's probably going to be the first pick.

Theres a long road to the draft. I do wonder if Wentz ends up going first round. I'm not overly enamored with selecting a CB at our pick, and Ramsey could end up crashing back to earth as people break down film.

If we resign Rolando on another deal, which is a tossup at this point, I don't know about taking a LB. Do we need an enforcing body at MLB? If we got a little heavier at the 1tech, a McClain is a little unnecessary. Bowman and Kuechly are both about 240. If we want to take a LB like Jack/Smith I'm sure they'd be tempted to put Lee back at MLB to take advantage of his knack for turnovers in the middle of the field. I can also see trading down and taking a talented big body DT and gaining a pick after addressing some secondary issues in FA. There's quite a few guys who look like promising DT's in the mid late first.

But as I was saying, with this draft being pretty deep in the top 100-150 and underwhelming st the top, I can see scenario where we trade down once, or even twice, and taking Wentz in the first.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Interested in your take on Kendell Beckwith Dan, I like him a lot as McClain's replacement who needs not be resigned in my opinion, just not trustworthy enough for me.