DantheMan 2016 Draft Thread

dantheman41

Reaction score
Cardale Jones QB - 6'5 250 lbs (Ohio State)

Positives:
Has an absolute cannon for an arm. Can really move well for a guy as big as he is, reminds me of Daunte Culpepper. Elusive and hard to bring down. Incredibly strong and powerful for a QB. A playmaker, doesn't give up easily. Good footwork within the pocket to avoid the rush. Can really wow you with some his throws he can make. Succeeded on the biggest stage.

Negatives:
Relies too heavily on his arm strength. Can be careless with the ball, always expecting his receiver to come down with the ball. Question his football intelligence, offense was very simple and basic with him playing QB. Plays very predictable. Is he a good teammate? Know he's had some issues at Ohio State. Doesn't throw receivers open, or seem to understand timing routes. Locks onto first target quite a bit.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: Still very raw, can he improve on his issues? I'm not sure... But to me he is a playmaker and shows a lot of traits I absolutely love. I would sit him behind Romo for at least 2 years to develop him. I like him a step up from Hackenburg because he makes a lot more plays. I would take a chance on him in the 3rd round.

kevm3

Reaction score
If we take a QB in the 1st, I'd prefer Goff. Lynch looks ok. If we draft in the later rounds, say 3rd or so, I'm not opposed to Cardale Jones or Treyvonne Boykin.

Bcrav4

Reaction score
If we take a QB in the 1st, I'd prefer Goff. Lynch looks ok. If we draft in the later rounds, say 3rd or so, I'm not opposed to Cardale Jones or Treyvonne Boykin.

Those are the two guys I believe can be developed too in the later rounds.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Dak Prescott QB - 6'2 230 lbs (Mississippi State)

Positives:
Can run when needed, but not an incredible athlete in open field. More of a take it and run guy. A tough QB, can take a hit and pop back up. Incredibly accurate on the short to immediate routes. Always seems to give his receivers a chance, his receivers seemed to drop a TON of balls he put on the money. Played in some really big games against outstanding defenses. Can throw on the run with accuracy. Will deliver the ball in the middle of traffic right on target. Rarely makes a bad mistake.

Negatives:
Dink and dunk type QB, rarely throws downfield. Does not always throw a pretty ball, flutters in the air. Overly conservative. Plays in a very simple one read shotgun system. Gets very panicky under pressure. Holds on to the ball way too long at times, leading to unnecessary sacks.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: Actually liked him more then I was expecting too. Not a guy that is going to dominate games or take over, but will not lose a game for you. I really think he has a chance to be a Alex Smith type QB given the right chance. Incredibly accurate, and can run when needed. As a 4th round pick I would certainly take my chance. His ceiling is Alex Smith, his floor is Kellen Moore. Worst case scenario he will be a very solid backup in this league.

RandyOh

Reaction score
whenever you have the time could u scout a few late round QB's in Kevin Hogan, Nate Sudfeld, and Jacoby Brissett?

manster4ever

Reaction score

Positives:
Can run when needed, but not an incredible athlete in open field. More of a take it and run guy. A tough QB, can take a hit and pop back up. Incredibly accurate on the short to immediate routes. Always seems to give his receivers a chance, his receivers seemed to drop a TON of balls he put on the money. Played in some really big games against outstanding defenses. Can throw on the run with accuracy. Will deliver the ball in the middle of traffic right on target. Rarely makes a bad mistake.
Negatives: Dink and dunk type QB, rarely throws downfield. Does not always throw a pretty ball, flutters in the air. Overly conservative. Plays in a very simple one read shotgun system. Gets very panicky under pressure. Holds on to the ball way too long at times, leading to unnecessary sacks.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: Actually liked him more then I was expecting too. Not a guy that is going to dominate games or take over, but will not lose a game for you. I really think he has a chance to be a Alex Smith type QB given the right chance. Incredibly accurate, and can run when needed. As a 4th round pick I would certainly take my chance. His ceiling is Alex Smith, his floor is Kellen Moore. Worst case scenario he will be a very solid backup in this league.

Agree wholeheartedly. I'd take him in the 4th in a heart beat. Even drafting as high as we are in the 4th.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Cardale Jones QB - 6'5 250 lbs (Ohio State)

Positives:
Has an absolute cannon for an arm. Can really move well for a guy as big as he is, reminds me of Daunte Culpepper. Elusive and hard to bring down. Incredibly strong and powerful for a QB. A playmaker, doesn't give up easily. Good footwork within the pocket to avoid the rush. Can really wow you with some his throws he can make. Succeeded on the biggest stage.
Negatives: Relies too heavily on his arm strength. Can be careless with the ball, always expecting his receiver to come down with the ball. Question his football intelligence, offense was very simple and basic with him playing QB. Plays very predictable. Is he a good teammate? Know he's had some issues at Ohio State. Doesn't throw receivers open, or seem to understand timing routes. Locks onto first target quite a bit.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: Still very raw, can he improve on his issues? I'm not sure... But to me he is a playmaker and shows a lot of traits I absolutely love. I would sit him behind Romo for at least 2 years to develop him. I like him a step up from Hackenburg because he makes a lot more plays. I would take a chance on him in the 3rd round.

Reminds me of Jamarcus Russell or Daunte Culpepper ....stay away

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score

Positives:
Negatives: Dink and dunk type QB, rarely throws downfield. Does not always throw a pretty ball, flutters in the air. Overly conservative. Plays in a very simple one read shotgun system. Gets very panicky under pressure. Holds on to the ball way too long at times, leading to unnecessary sacks.

If he doesn't find an internal clock, he's going to get killed in the NFL.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Nate Sudfield QB - 6'5 240 lbs (Indiana)

Positives:
Outstanding NFL size for a QB. Shows above average mobility. Has good awareness and feel for the rush within the pocket. Shows really nice touch on his deep balls in leading his receivers. Can deliver the ball with pressure weighing down on him.

Negatives:
Telegraphs his passes, locks onto receivers. If he doesn't fix this going to throw a lot of interceptions at next level. Doesn't have the juice on his throws to fit it into tight windows, the ball doesn't get there as fast as it needs to be on occasions. His accuracy is all over the place. At times, it is outstanding, others he misses the easiest of throws. Can be very frustrating.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: Not a fan. Don't see anything special about him. I see a high turnover guy at the next level. Every game defenses knock the ball down a lot and get there hands on his balls. Telegraphs way too many throws, doesn't have a great arm. Don't see a lot to work with.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Jacoby Brissett QB - 6'4 235 lbs (NC State)

Positives:
Really good size for QB. Played some of his best games against outstanding competition. Had an awful offensive line and still made plays. Playmaker. Doesn't take sacks much, always looking to get rid of the ball or make a play. Plays in a pro style offense where he consistently takes ball under the center. Asked to do a lot more for his team then any of the other qb's I've watched. Shows a good feel in the pocket. Tough player. Shows nice traits as a runner, not overly explosive, but can run when needed. Rarely makes an unnecessary throw, not prone to many mistakes. Dangerous throwing the ball on the move.

Negatives:
His mechanics as a pure passer need to be refined greatly. At times his footwork and arm placement is terrible and leads to major issues with his accuracy. The ball hits the ground a lot more then it should. Has a tendency to hold on to the ball way too long, a bit trigger shy. Not going to wow you with his arm but it is more then adequate. Can play a little too conservative at times with very little throws downfield.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: Lot of things I really like about Brissett. His passing mechanics need to be refined and improved a lot. Not sure he is ever be the guy who is going to sit in an NFL pocket and pick teams apart. But he also possesses some rare traits for college QB, and is greatly advanced in a lot of areas. Definitely a guy you can work with to develop for couple years.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Kevin Hogan QB - 6'4 225 lbs (Stanford)

Positives:
Just a really smart and tough kid. Love his football intelligence, has outstanding awareness of game situations it is evident in way he plays. Good body frame to grow even stronger. Really nice mobility, and can move to his right or left. Can deliver the ball on the run as well. A playmaker as well, always looking to grab that first down. Has improved each year at Stanford. Outstanding accuracy on short to medium routes. Knows how to use his eyes to deceive defenses. Will often times go to his 2nd or 3rd read.

Negatives:
Very interesting delivery almost like a windup, ala Philip Rivers. Average to below average arm strength, not going to threaten a back half of a defense. His ball never looks crisp or clean coming out. A dink and dunk type of QB. Plays out of a shotgun every snap in a very simple offense.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: Good player, but not sure his ceiling is much higher then he has shown this year. His accuracy is his strength but he will never impress you throwing the football. He could be a very solid backup in the NFL. Lot of qualities to like, but just not really a guy you can 'develop' and improve much more with his arm limitations.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Thanks dantheman41. I really like Brissett and i really want to like Hogan because of all the qualities and intangibles he has but i have read on draft sites as well as a former NFL scouts review of hogan and they all said he had an absolute rifle for an arm to deliver the ball just about anywhere on the field.

reddyuta

Reaction score
i am not really interested in Hogan type of QBs,we either draft a potential franchise Qb or just wait because there is no point in drafting backup QBs.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Thanks dantheman41. I really like Brissett and i really want to like Hogan because of all the qualities and intangibles he has but i have read on draft sites as well as a former NFL scouts review of hogan and they all said he had an absolute rifle for an arm to deliver the ball just about anywhere on the field.

Yeah I saw that too. Interesting. I just don't see that on tape. Maybe it's because his deep ball accuracy is very suspect. Or because he's a little cautious about throwing ball downfield. I don't see an elite arm. Average to me

dantheman41

Reaction score
Trevone Boykin QB - 6'2 205 lbs (TCU)

Positives:
Throws the ball effortlessly. Looks like he can make all the throws at the next level. Very relaxed and confident. Always keeps his eyes down the field looking to make a big play. Can create with both his legs and his arm, tends to look with his arm first. Throws a beautiful deep ball with outstanding touch.

Negatives:
His size will be a question at the next level. His weigh in measurables will be huge. Don't think he will ever be a pure pocket passer, relies on his feet quite a bit. Holds on to the football way too long. Runs a very college offense out of a shotgun all the time. His accuracy is all over the place, misses the easy throw way too often. Plays a little too careless at times especially when under pressure. Had an excellent offensive line that gave him a ton of time to through the ball.

Where He Fits and My Opinion:
Definitely a late round type of guy. The way he throws the football definitely merits a draft pick. A lot to work with this kid. If he measures in at 6'2 or higher, I think he can be a mid round guy. Really like this kid as a whole especially where his current draft stock is. Would certainly consider 5th or later.