DantheMan 2016 Draft Thread

MikeT22

Reaction score
Fuller in the 2nd and Burns in the 3rd, would make this camper happy. I want the pair to grow up together in a reconstructing Dallas secondary.

I'd do one or the other. Too many other needs and very good players to take two CB's that high. I'd like to see one of these CB's along with a top notch DT, hopefully after taking Goff or Wentz in the first. Also wouldn't mind Bosa in the first with either Fuller 2nd or Burns 3rd.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'd do one or the other. Too many other needs and very good players to take two CB's that high. I'd like to see one of these CB's along with a top notch DT, hopefully after taking Goff or Wentz in the first. Also wouldn't mind Bosa in the first with either Fuller 2nd or Burns 3rd.

I'm leaning towards DE, DT, and CB, CB

MikeT22

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards DE, DT, and CB, CB

I wouldn't mind Bosa in the first. He's the one non-QB I like at #4.

Also, I don't favor targeting positions in specific rounds. That said, as deep as the draft is on defense, especially DT, it'd be nice to get a DT and CB on day 2 in rounds 2-3 as long as we don't reach for need. Wouldn't be opposed to a RB in that area either if one is BPA when we select.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
People wanting DE at 4 dont use logic. There will be nothing but inexperience on that line. But I have to remember that on cowboyzone, if you're 30 or older you suck.

CCBoy

Reaction score
People wanting DE at 4 dont use logic. There will be nothing but inexperience on that line. But I have to remember that on cowboyzone, if you're 30 or older you suck.

Somehow, logic is lost in just listening...to this quote.

NO, that's not senility.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Lol dont take it personal. Who does a ccboy dline look like next year?

Free Agency is scheduled to kick off March 2. We only have a month to wait.

I think how the approach goes in the defensive line, will depend upon how the approaches it's list of current veterans:

Greg Hardy
Jeremy Mincey
Rolando McClain
Brandon Carr
Morris Claiborne

That is the cruxt of change, as to direction in the other areas. There is a strong potential to have $46 million available for signings, with changes in about four to five contracts already in effect for Dallas. The long termed effects wouldn't be that great. This would also allow the extension of contracts for both Travis Frederick and Zach Martin.

Between now and 2 March, some major directions have to be decided upon...and don't kid ourselves, Jason Garrett and the Scouting Department will be knee deep in alligators for their month.

We shall see...

locked&loaded

Reaction score

lol.

vncZ8J3.gifv

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I say sign William Hayes or just keep Hardy. I'm not fooling myself into thinking a Tyrone Crawford led dline will play dog football in the trenches.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Hey Dan, how did you fare with your evaluations from 2015..still a bit early obviously..but do you feel as if you did a decent job projecting those guys?

Hmmm... I really would have to go back and look. I was a HUGE Aaron Donald fan two years ago and I spoke very highly of him that year. Loved Amari Cooper last year, I thought he was head and shoulders the best WR in the draft. Last year I a few pet cats of mine were:

Kevin Johnson (had a good year, not great)
Preston Smith (had really good year for Skins)
Eric Kendricks (had awesome year with Vikings)

As for the rest, it is too early to tell IMO.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Brandon Allen QB - 6'1 210 lbs (Arkansas)

Positives: Nice to see a QB in a pro style system under center. Very fast release, reminds me of Romo a bit. Outstanding ball skills both, really knows how to fool defenses both on run and pass plays. Play action passer. High floor type of guy, will not be a bust, just a question how high his ceiling is. Can come right into the NFL and play and have some success. Has the playmaking gene to him, always trying to make a play which can get him into trouble. Good arm, not a great arm. You can tell he has a lot of advanced knowledge, offensive coaches gave him a lot of responsibility and he played in ton of different formations.

Negatives:
Doesn't have ideal size being only 6'1. Like to see him put on a little weight and get stronger. His accuracy is all over the place, at times it is great other times it is really off. Consistently locks onto his first read getting him into trouble with DB's. Needs to learn to use his eyes better. Not a real threat running the ball with his feet. Gets a little too panicky in the pocket, and sometimes throws ball in the air just to avoid the sack.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: Something about this kid I really like. I don't know if he will ever be a great quarterback, but I really think he has a chance to be a solid NFL QB, which is more then I can say about almost of these kids. He is better right now then Christian Hackenberg, but obviously doesn't have the same ceiling. Does a lot of things good, nothing great. In my opinion he is a 3rd or 4th rounder. Wouldn't mind at all if the cowboys took him.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Tyler Ervin RB/WR - 5'9 190 lbs (San Jose St)

Positives: Kid is a machine, seemed like the entire offense/special teams for San Jose St. Every play almost he touches the ball. Haven't seen many guys do EVERYTHING as good as he does. Makes a lot of big plays. So explosive in the open field. Loved watching him play. Really tough for a little guy. See it and hit it type of guy doesn't waste any time or do any dancing. Really good vision always seeming to pick the right hole. Runs really good routes, little chance any linebacker will be able to cover him.

Negatives:
Not going to give you anything in the pass protection department, saw very little times when he is even used to block. And when he did, he looked lost. Obviously his height and size overall is a worry, and teams aren't going to draft him to be a bellcow.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: Love this kid. Reminds me of an even better, durable, explosive Dunbar. If he's around in the 5th round or so I would scoop him up. Can do SO many things for your offense and add a different dynamic. Jack of all trades type of guy. The nice thing is I think he would hold up all year unlike Dunbar. This kid is tough and gets hammered constantly and just gets back up, not the fragile type.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Brandon Allen QB - 6'1 210 lbs (Arkansas)

Positives: Nice to see a QB in a pro style system under center. Very fast release, reminds me of Romo a bit. Outstanding ball skills both, really knows how to fool defenses both on run and pass plays. Play action passer. High floor type of guy, will not be a bust, just a question how high his ceiling is. Can come right into the NFL and play and have some success. Has the playmaking gene to him, always trying to make a play which can get him into trouble. Good arm, not a great arm. You can tell he has a lot of advanced knowledge, offensive coaches gave him a lot of responsibility and he played in ton of different formations.
Negatives: Doesn't have ideal size being only 6'1. Like to see him put on a little weight and get stronger. His accuracy is all over the place, at times it is great other times it is really off. Consistently locks onto his first read getting him into trouble with DB's. Needs to learn to use his eyes better. Not a real threat running the ball with his feet. Gets a little too panicky in the pocket, and sometimes throws ball in the air just to avoid the sack.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: Something about this kid I really like. I don't know if he will ever be a great quarterback, but I really think he has a chance to be a solid NFL QB, which is more then I can say about almost of these kids. He is better right now then Christian Hackenberg, but obviously doesn't have the same ceiling. Does a lot of things good, nothing great. In my opinion he is a 3rd or 4th rounder. Wouldn't mind at all if the cowboys took him.

Thank You, I like him as well, Heard his game is a lot like Romo's

MikeT22

Reaction score

Panthers did fine plugging in young picks like Star Lotulelei and Kwan Short on their line in the same draft recently. My preference is QB, but if not, Bosa is one of the top 5 players in the draft and also fills a need.

tm1119

Reaction score
Hey Dan see if you find enough Indiana/UAB tape to look at Jordan Howard. 1 of the more underrated backs in this draft. 6'1 225 and runs between the tackles with vision very well. 6.2 YPC in the big 10 is very impressive too.

Sydla

Reaction score
Really like Howard.

Howard and Prosise would be my two 4th roundish guys to look at.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Geronimo Allison WR - 6'3 197 lbs (Illinois)

Positives: Real explosiveness out of his stance, outstanding get off and start/stop. Really nice length. Willing blocker down the field for his RB's. Had to deal with an extremely inaccurate QB. Really nice ability to run double moves. Moves all over the line, but mostly plays on the outside. Knows how to use the sidelines. Can jump up in the air and snatch the ball out.

Negatives: Needs to put on some muscle and get stronger. Needs to run crisper, cleaner routes. His hands can be inconsistent, dropped some catchable balls. Still a little raw in the way he plays, not fully knowing how to utilize his size and length.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: Think this kid would be a lot higher on draft boards if he played with a competent QB. He's a really good player, better then I was expecting. I don't see a huge difference between him and the 2nd/3rd round receivers. He has a big ceiling, just needs to get stronger and bigger. Love how well he moves.

DuDa

Reaction score
Geronimo Allison WR - 6'3 197 lbs (Illinois)

Positives: Real explosiveness out of his stance, outstanding get off and start/stop. Really nice length. Willing blocker down the field for his RB's. Had to deal with an extremely inaccurate QB. Really nice ability to run double moves. Moves all over the line, but mostly plays on the outside. Knows how to use the sidelines. Can jump up in the air and snatch the ball out.

Negatives: Needs to put on some muscle and get stronger. Needs to run crisper, cleaner routes. His hands can be inconsistent, dropped some catchable balls. Still a little raw in the way he plays, not fully knowing how to utilize his size and length.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: Think this kid would be a lot higher on draft boards if he played with a competent QB. He's a really good player, better then I was expecting. I don't see a huge difference between him and the 2nd/3rd round receivers. He has a big ceiling, just needs to get stronger and bigger. Love how well he moves.

We're on the same page. He's a sleeper and would be a really nice fit in Dallas.