DantheMan 2016 Draft Thread

dantheman41

Reaction score
Hunter Henry TE - 6'5 253 lbs (Arkansas)

Positives: An all-around football player. First thing I noticed was his awareness. Makes a lot of smart plays every game. Plays mostly as an inline player, but will sometimes split out, play in the slot, or go out wide. Will get to the 2nd level and block downfield. Never gives up on plays. Will make the tough catches in traffic. Has an ability to find the zone and openings in coverage. Has outstanding hands, saw him make a few 1 handed catches.

Negatives:
Doesn't do anything exceptional. Will occasionally whiff in protection. Can sometimes get a little too handsy to get away from defenders.

Where He Fits and My Opinion:
Good all around player. I wouldn't say he is an elite prospect or an elite TE. But it's nice to see a TE come out of college with a ton of blocking experience that will certainly help him transition to NFL.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Austin Hooper TE - 6'4 249 lbs (Stanford)

Positives: Gets separation in his routes. A good athlete playing the tight end position. Will go up and make the tough catch. Can go vertical. Plays mostly as inline player, but will go out wide at times. Very willing blocker, will get better with more experience. Shows good sustain on his blocks. Don't see a lot of missed blocks, or whiffs. Has the biggest ceiling of the top 3 tight ends.

Negatives:
Only a redshirt sophomore, still has to learn and grow into the position. Not idea height for a tight end. Will need to continue to get better at blocking.

While he isn't the all-around finished product of Henry, he has a bigger ceiling. Provides better athletic ability, and quickness. I see him get more separation then Henry. Hooper could present very good value in the 3rd round. I think he could be turned into a really really good blocker. To me, it is very close between these 2. Stanford has a long line of successful NFL tight ends.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Nick Vannett TE - 6'5 256 lbs (Ohio State)

Positives: Ideal size for a TE. Really tough kid. Plays violently in the blocking game and will block at 2nd and 3rd levels, never gives up on the block.

Negatives:
Only had 19 catches for 220 yards this year, rarely was used as receiving threat. Worry about his hands a bit, bobbled some catches, and dropped a bunch during senior bowl week. Not going to get a lot of separation, not the best of athletes.

Could be used in the James Hanna role, occasionally in pass catching but a dominant blocker. I think he is already a better blocker then Hanna. Not going to get a ton of opportunities catching the ball at the next level. I see as a 4th or 5th rounder. Hooper and Henry are on a level by themselves.

Verdict

Reaction score
Sterling Shepard WR - 5'10 191 lbs (Oklahoma)

Positives: Very reliable. Seems to catch everything thrown at him or around him. Really good punt returner. Plays best as a slot guy, but can play all over the line. Has a bit of wiggle to his game with the ball. Very explosive player with very good straight line speed, probably a high 4.4 guy. Have seen him run past guys in go routes. TD machine. Always finds a way to get open and find the zone. Willing blocker when called upon.
Negatives: Smaller. To me, he he plays smaller then 190. Goes down on his own a lot, afraid of taking the hit. Little bit of a 1 trick pony, almost runs the slant or the option route every single play.
Where He Fits and My Opinion: Really good inside player, but I don't see him being an outside guy at next level. Too similar to what we have here in Cole. Not as good a route runner as Cole or as quick, but more straight line speed. A team is going to get a really solid player with Shepard. Does so many things very good. Just don't the Cowboys taking smaller slot guy.

I would love to see this player drop in the draft like a rock due to his size and for the Cowboys to get him late. He can be a very good player in the NFL, but will probably be a bit of a limited use player because of his size limitations. Very good write up. Seems to be spot on.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I would love to see this player drop in the draft like a rock due to his size and for the Cowboys to get him late. He can be a very good player in the NFL, but will probably be a bit of a limited use player because of his size limitations. Very good write up. Seems to be spot on.

He's the same size as antonio brown.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
11 pages here, so I'll ask -- have you done a review of Boise State safety Darian Thompson yet?

dantheman41

Reaction score
I don't think he has done any of the Safeties at this point but I could be wrong.

Correct. Just got home, was away for couple weeks. Going to go like crazy these next few weeks. Going to try to pump out top T's, G's, and defensive lineman this week.

hendog

Reaction score
Correct. Just got home, was away for couple weeks. Going to go like crazy these next few weeks. Going to try to pump out top T's, G's, and defensive lineman this week.

You are the man! I really enjoy your work and appreciate it!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Panthers did fine plugging in young picks like Star Lotulelei and Kwan Short on their line in the same draft recently. My preference is QB, but if not, Bosa is one of the top 5 players in the draft and also fills a need.

They did "fine" two years later, not in 2013 when both were drafted. So, if we draft now, and the players work out, we too can be "fine". In 2018.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Nice thread Dan. Good info. Obviously, this is why you're the man.

Sincere thanks of love this threads where I can learn a thing or two.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Laremy Tunsil T- 6'5 310 lbs (Ole Miss)

Positives: First thing I noticed is how fast he gets to the 2nd level, and is on the linebackers in a flash. Takes outstanding angles, on blockers, very rarely gets in wrong. Always gets guys in front of him. Once he gets his hands on defenders you don't see them move. So powerful and strong, stops guys in their tracks. Plays the position very smart, knows how to pass guys. Seems to play with outstanding awareness. Outstanding in both run and pass games, gets movement in the running game. All around player.

Negatives:
Will occasionally overextend his arms and get beat by the double move inside. Had some false start issues.

Hard to find a lot of negatives about the guy. He is the real deal, has very little he needs to work on. Has the strength and the athletic ability of an elite tackle. Will be a great one at the next level.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Carson Wentz QB - 6'5 223 lbs (North Dakota State)

Positives:
Outstanding and prototypical NFL size with the frame to continue to get stronger. This kid is a playmaker. Will stand in the pocket and deliver the ball even with pressure bearing down. Dual threat QB, can run on designed run plays or when play breaks down. Shows outstanding elusiveness and rb traits in the open field. Really tough kid who will fight for every yard and really frustrate defenses. Can throw with precise accuracy on the run. Excellent feet in the pocket. Shows good decision making, will rarely throw to a receiver who is not open. Will put the ball where only receiver can get it, or no one can get it. Plays in somewhat of a pro style offense, can take the ball under center. Has a good feel for defenses and understanding the mental side of playing QB. Can make every throw. Has a really good arm.
Negatives: Played against inferior competition, really interested to see what he does competing in the senior bowl against top competition. Too many designed run plays that won't work in NFL against NFL athletes. Balls can sometimes flutter and accuracy is a little inconsistent.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: Watched closely his game against Iowa St last year because of solid competition and he didn't disappoint at all. This kid is an absolute playmaker. My guess is he is going to rise up draft boards during the evaluation process in the spring. Going to take more stock in his senior bowl week and pro days then I would most. This kid is my favorite QB in the draft. 1st rounder in my opinion. The only real difference maker I've seen. Will only get better.

Wow you called it earlier than I did.

He's a special player. I hope Cleveland passes.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Ronnie Stanley T- 6'6 312 lbs (Notre Dame)

Positives: Outstanding feet, moves so well. Really athletic player. Played against some of the best edge rushers in the country. Did an outstanding job against quick twitch, athletic guys. Has a really big ceiling and will continue to get better. Shows a lot of patience in waiting for defenders to come to him.

Negatives:
Plays a little reckless and all over the place, sometimes it looks like he's not doing what he's supposed to be. Doesn't have a lot of POP to his game, like to see him get stronger. Plays a little too upright on occasion. Needs to strengthen his base, when he gets pushed in his chest, he goes back quickly.

Good player that I would like to see get stronger. Don't see as a top 10 player, but has a very big ceiling. Teams will bet on his ceiling. Played against outstanding competition that only got him better and better.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Jack Conklin T- 6'6 308 lbs (Michigan St)

Positives: Really well built guy. You can tell he has outstanding lower body and core strength. You won't see him pushed into QB. He gets a lot of pop and movement especially in the run game. Plays the game smart, you can tell he has outstanding awareness. Went up against some outstanding competition and held his own. Timed better running then people expected, showed athleticism. Excellent in short yardage situations and getting that push.

Negatives:
Not ideal LT length, can be at times overmatched by more athletic defensive lineman. Your not going to see him get down the field and get to the 2nd level like Tunsil and Stanley do. Has had some minor knee issues that need to get checked out.

Higher floor then Stanley but lower ceiling. This kid is not going to bust, he is more NFL ready then Stanley. He can come in right away and have a lot of success. Really like what I see, and the toughness this kid displays. He is going to be an outstanding NFL tackle. Not an elite prospect, but a darn good one.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Taylor Decker T- 6'7 310 lbs (Ohio State)

Positives: Outstanding size and length. You don't see many times he gets beat or messes up on a play, outstandingly consistent. Does an outstanding job taking on blocks and absorbing it. Is very close to a finished project, needs very little seasoning. Leader to the Ohio State team, very instrumental on that team. Really good in both run and the pass game, plays with a really strong base.

Negatives:
With his size and length he really needs to play square and keep his pad level down, it sometimes can get him in trouble especially against shorter stockier defenders with low pad level. His snap anticipation at times is off, and is a little late to the play allowing defenders a split second on him.

Good all around player. Does everything very well. To me, he is probably the 2nd best tackle in this class right now. Stanley has more upside but I really like this kid and the intangibles he brings. A pleasant surprise.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Shon Coleman T- 6'5 307 lbs (Auburn)

Positives: Really powerful lower body, gets a lot of drive on blocks. Is an absolute mauler in the run game, gets so much push. Does a really nice job of keeping his body square. Has excellent length. Have seen him do a really good job of getting to the 2nd level. You can tell he plays with very heavy hands, packs a serious punch. Played on both right and left side.

Negatives:
Can struggle with speed rushers getting the edge on him, not great on an island. Looks lost in space at times. Is on the ground a lot. His technique and balance is inconsistent at times, tries to use his strength to maul people constantly which leads him into trouble. Needs to refine areas of his pass sets when setting his feet.

Really great story of kid who beat Leukemia... I am rooting hard for him. He reminds me of Lael Collins a lot at LSU. Strong, physical mauler who gets serious push. Not quite the athlete of Collins though. Once again a really good player. These tackles are all really impressing me, I think everyone of them can be LT's at the next level. Picking between them is very difficult and IMO teams are going to have #2 - #5 all over the place.