Darnell Savage (S) Maryland

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
He’s starting to get a lot of hype on Twitter. The three full games of him posted on YouTube double as highlight vids.

No other safety in this class has his instincts. And he looks like Tyreke Hill on defense. Just playing at a different speed than everyone else.

Mr_437

Reaction score
He’s starting to get a lot of hype on Twitter. The three full games of him posted on YouTube double as highlight vids.

No other safety in this class has his instincts. And he looks like Tyreke Hill on defense. Just playing at a different speed than everyone else.
So you saying he's gone before 58, gotcha.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
So you saying he's gone before 58, gotcha.
Hope not. But he seems to be rising.

I know Richard is obsessed with size at CB, but not sure if he has the same prerequisites at Safety. Earl was only 5'10" so...

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Woods is a great comp IMO.I think he’s basically a faster version of Woods with more range.

So undersized S prospect with solid coverage skills, but poor tackling technique/ability.

I really do like him as a FS option, just not at 58. I’m targeting a top 50 talent there, and he’s a 3rd round prospect IMO.
Savage is definitely a starting caliber Safety. In fact, I could see him making a Pro Bowl or 2. He is similar to Woods, but right now I can't say Im sure Woods is a plus starter. I think he is a good defensive back, and has versatility that can get him 50%+ snaps in sub packages. But im not completely sold that he can be a difference maker like I believe Savage could be.

Id prefer we leave the draft with a quality SS as opposed to Savage. But Savage is an impact player to me

Flamma

Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind doubling down on S either, but I think ignoring the amount of DL talent in this draft would be foolish.

Maybe a S in the 2/3, then doubling down on a later round option in the 5/6th?

I don't think we can ignore DL in the 2nd round if a good one drops. Or if through trade Dallas acquires a high 2nd, they should probably go DT first.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Savage is definitely a starting caliber Safety. In fact, I could see him making a Pro Bowl or 2. He is similar to Woods, but right now I can't say Im sure Woods is a plus starter. I think he is a good defensive back, and has versatility that can get him 50%+ snaps in sub packages. But im not completely sold that he can be a difference maker like I believe Savage could be.

Id prefer we leave the draft with a quality SS as opposed to Savage. But Savage is an impact player to me

Sure, if he improves his tackling ability.

As of now, the negative is an undersized S that struggles with tackling.

If we like Woods as our FS...I want more of a SS that can tackle.

If we’re looking for a FS, I’d consider Savage - just don’t like him at 58.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Just depends on how they address things in FA. I would love to go get a bunch of dudes in FA on 1 year deals like I mentioned guys like Hankins, and a guy like Ray and/ bring back Mayowa. There will be plenty more guys they can look into short term deals which won't effect long term deals of our own.
You lost me at Mayowa - he puts the JAG in JAG.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
You lost me at Mayowa - he puts the JAG in JAG.

What do you think this going after, they’re no signing pro bowlers. They are in the 2 and later tier players.

Now that they got Quinn, that gives you your starter against the pass and Hyder and Crawford might be in rotation against the run for de and kicked inside on pass to bring Quinn in.

jay94

Reaction score
Good option as a FS, but the scouting reports read he can’t tackle.

Sounds like a more athletic version of Woods.

Woods can't tackle that well alot of minor upgrades could be gamechanging. How much of a ballhawk is he?

cnuball21

Reaction score
Woods can't tackle that well alot of minor upgrades could be gamechanging. How much of a ballhawk is he?

That’s my point...Savage is another Woods but a little better.

So do we want 2 safeties that can’t tackle?

A quality SS that can provide solid run support and be adequate in coverage would be huge for this team.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I like Savage and Hooker at our spot. Just don't see Rapp/Abram being around.

Hooker is really growing on me, I think he is underrated frankly. Smart ball hawk, very physical, not as good as Savage in coverage but a good player overall.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I like Savage and Hooker at our spot. Just don't see Rapp/Abram being around.

Hooker is really growing on me, I think he is underrated frankly. Smart ball hawk, very physical, not as good as Savage in coverage but a good player overall.

It depends on what they're looking to do.

If they are looking at Iloka as a guy who can play bother S spots and be a depth guy then Amari would be their pick IMO. He is much better closer to the line of scrimmage and and playing the underneath stuff, but if they are looking for FS with range type player Savage is you guy.

I can't figure out what they are looking to do yet, but these questions should be figured out before the draft and if not they're doing a tremendous job.

cnuball21

Reaction score

If they are looking at Iloka as a guy who can play bother S spots and be a depth guy then Amari would be their pick IMO. He is much better closer to the line of scrimmage and and playing the underneath stuff, but if they are looking for FS with range type player Savage is you guy.

I can't figure out what they are looking to do yet, but these questions should be figured out before the draft and if not they're doing a tremendous job.

The good thing about this draft is you have a handful of versatile dudes. Guys like Thornhill, Hooker and CGJ can do a little bit of everything.

My preference is a SS that can be adequate in coverage and impact the run game.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Which Safeties they like in the draft is complicated.

They definitely wanted to improve at the Down Safety position (SS) according to comments by S.Jones; however, pass coverage has become the top skillset required by teams for Safeties in the past decade. Even Strong Safeties must be really good in coverage to get 2nd round type consideration.

In the draft I think they would like a Strong Safety type that is great in the box and good enough in coverage; however, I think their options are going to push them towards an elite coverage Safety that is good enough in the box.

Iloka is just a stopgap. They like to have stopgap types to keep them from being tempted to draft for need.

They have tended to sign stopgap players at the same positions they end up drafting over the past few years.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Which Safeties they like in the draft is complicated.

They definitely wanted to improve at the Down Safety position (SS) according to comments by S.Jones; however, pass coverage has become the top skillset required by teams for Safeties in the past decade. Even Strong Safeties must be really good in coverage to get 2nd round type consideration.

In the draft I think they would like a Strong Safety type that is great in the box and good enough in coverage; however, I think their options are going to push them towards an elite coverage Safety that is good enough in the box.

Iloka is just a stopgap. They like to have stopgap types to keep them from being tempted to draft for need.

They have tended to sign stopgap players at the same positions they end up drafting over the past few years.

Would you not be surprised if they go and use 2 of their first 3 picks or 3 of 4 on db’s

Gaede

Reaction score
Agreed! He's become one of my favorites.
Me too.

I've wanted one of the Hawkeyes defensive backs for years now. First Desmond King, then Josh Jackson, now Hooker. These guys can play

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Looking at what the Cowboys have done, they will look do add multiple pieces in the secondary 2-3, RB, and o-line.

Do not be surprised if they do not select a d-line in the draft IMO.