Daron Payne DT from Commanders signed 90 million for 4 years. 60 million guaranteed

gtb1943

Reaction score
I mean if they want to be competitive im talking 11 wins or more and a playoff win (they havent won more than 10 games in a season since 1991 and havent won a playoff game in 18 seasons) then they may need to part with Young or Sweat and a draft pick for a proven QB

but then again this is washington, they are just as snakebit as the Lions
But NO one is as Snake EATEN as the Browns...

Reaction score
They are paying for double digit sacks, which I dont think is sustainable for him
I think it is. He has been the lynchpin of the defense since he came to the team. He was misused as a 0/1 dt in his first 2.5 years. He was still a beast those years but wasn't allowed to get after the qb.
These last 2 he has had more freedom and you see the result. He's got the ability, dude has been extremely durable, only missed 1 games in 5 years iirc.. and that's with the beating he took as an undersized NT (for lack of a better term)

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I think it is. He has been the lynchpin of the defense since he came to the team. He was misused as a 0/1 dt in his first 2.5 years. He was still a beast those years but wasn't allowed to get after the qb.
These last 2 he has had more freedom and you see the result. He's got the ability, dude has been extremely durable, only missed 1 games in 5 years iirc.. and that's with the beating he took as an undersized NT (for lack of a better term)
You can phrase it however you want, but the fact is that he didn’t light it up until his contract year.

In fact, a lot of your fellow Commanders fans wanted Ionnidas to start over Payne because they said Payne didn’t give full effort all of the time. Many of them were just counting on losing Payne once his contract was up because they thought there was no way he’d be re-signed because he didn’t give consistent effort.

That’s commander’s fans… not me.

Then, suddenly in his contract year, he has a really good season? Now he’s a must sign for Washington.

There is risk involved with giving him that much money. His motivation is gone. I mean, I do think he’s a pretty good player but I would definitely hesitate to pay him at the top of the market.

Tussinman

Reaction score
That deal won’t age well.
Actually disagree. This is one of the safest bets for any player this off-season needing a new deal that's why Washington did it

He's only 25 and has only missed 1 game out of 82

He's been consistently very good or better his entire 5 years as well. It's not like he did the cowboys special of wait till his contract year to actually be good he's been consistently very good his entire 5 year contract.

Reaction score
You can phrase it however you want, but the fact is that he didn’t light it up until his contract year.

In fact, a lot of your fellow Commanders fans wanted Ionnidas to start over Payne because they said Payne didn’t give full effort all of the time. Many of them were just counting on losing Payne once his contract was up because they thought there was no way he’d be re-signed because he didn’t give consistent effort.

That’s commander’s fans… not me.

Then, suddenly in his contract year, he has a really good season? Now he’s a must sign for Washington.

There is risk involved with giving him that much money. His motivation is gone. I mean, I do think he’s a pretty good player but I would definitely hesitate to pay him at the top of the market.
the big contract year season is somewhat concerning, but he was only 20 when he was drafted. I think he's matured a lot over the years and he is a competitor.
Ionnidas is a big reason his numbers weren't so hot in years past, all the dt's were rotated pretty regularly.

I think Payne will be just fine. Time will tell I guess, but he's been a rock, and that shouldn't change.

BobSacamano

Reaction score
I question players that have career years in a contract year. Lets see how he does.
The year before his contract season Dallas made him punch his own teammate out of frustration. Or he received the kisser…can’t remember.