CFZ Dave Campo Years were not because of the QB

Blitzen

Reaction score
Did some of you turn to cannibalism during the Dave Campo apocalyptic tenure? Judging by everyone’s potential reaction to what next if the Cowboys moved on from Dak - that of eating each other’s feces and washing it down with pig vomit.

Help me think of a QB that a team built around for more than 7 years that suddenly started making it to just the conference championship game after never reaching the threshold before. I am trying to understand you guys but cannot. Why continue to put money on a team’s core when they are aging and never reached the final four of the tournament?

Those Cowboys’ teams gave multiple 1st round picks to Seattle to acquire Joey Galloway and almost helped Seattle win a Super Bowl whilst crapping on the Dallas franchise. The team’s scouting department and draft management were a catastrophe those years and had been since Jimmy left. It wasn’t just the QB.

If I have learned anything by watching this season, it’s that there are many QB’s that can have good regular season success if:
1. The team has a decent offensive line and a strong running game.
2. The team commits to a ball control approach and does not turn the ball over much if at all
3. The defense is strong with a good pass rush.
4. The QB takes the easiest (highest probability) yardage gaining most times they get the chance.
5. Decent special teams play.
6. Not too many key injuries.

These 6 can get you into the playoffs with many QB’s. I would be fine moving on from any core players over 27 if the Cowboys don’t make it to the conference championship game this postseason. I know that the team cannot move on from Dak for at least 2 years.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Ooh if someone doesn't post Dave getting hit by the missed field goal I will think less of the zone.......

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Campo and Parcells were the only Cowboys head coaches under Jerry that were stuck with a bad QB situation until Parcells found Romo. Campo took over during Aikman’s final season. Parcells was able to make it to the playoffs once with Quincy Carter. Campo’s tenure was a nightmare. We played musical chairs with several QBs under Campo. It’s a wonder. he won five games in each of his three seasons. Not only didn’t we have a QB but the OL was horrible.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Help me think of a QB that a team built around for more than 7 years that suddenly started making it to just the conference championship game after never reaching the threshold before. I am trying to understand you guys but cannot. Why continue to put money on a team’s core when they are aging and never reached the final four of the tournament?
It's a 10 year process. Dak just needs time to find his groove.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Campo and Parcells were the only Cowboys head coaches under Jerry that were stuck with a bad QB situation until Parcells found Romo. Campo took over during Aikman’s final season. Parcells was able to make it to the playoffs once with Quincy Carter. Campo’s tenure was a nightmare. We played musical chairs with several QBs under Campo. It’s a wonder. he won five games in each of his three seasons. Not only didn’t we have a QB but the OL was horrible.

The QB situation did not help, but thinking that the QB carousel was the reason for failure of those squads is laughable. Tom Brady would have failed on those squads. The entire team was generally poor, and the drafts during those years was worse.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The QB situation did not help, but thinking that the QB carousel was the reason for failure of those squads is laughable. Tom Brady would have failed on those squads. The entire team was generally poor, and the drafts during those years was worse.

I never said the QB carousel was the reason for his failure. I just pointed out that it didn’t help. It also didn’t help that we wasted a couple of first round picks on Joey Galloway. Dave Campo wasn’t a good head coach, but even good head coaches struggle without a QB. Sean Payton ended up retiring because he didn’t have a QB.

J_Allen

Reaction score
We just didn't field an NFL caliber roster and we were in cap hell thanks to Jerry overpaying aging veterans who retired early.

Btw, Aikman said concussions had nothing to do with him retiring. That is absolute bull****. He couldn't even take the field without getting a concussion. He was done.

mrmojo

Reaction score
The Hambrick brothers.....the one who played LB was nuts....he was tr yong to be Hollywood without the talent......those were some depressing years.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did some of you turn to cannibalism during the Dave Campo apocalyptic tenure? Judging by everyone’s potential reaction to what next if the Cowboys moved on from Dak - that of eating each other’s feces and washing it down with pig vomit.

Those Cowboys’ teams gave multiple 1st round picks to Seattle to acquire Joey Galloway and almost helped Seattle win a Super Bowl whilst crapping on the Dallas franchise. The team’s scouting department and draft management were a catastrophe those years and had been since Jimmy left. It wasn’t just the QB.

If I have learned anything by watching this season, it’s that there are many QB’s that can have good regular season success if:
1. The team has a decent offensive line and a strong running game.
2. The team commits to a ball control approach and does not turn the ball over much if at all
3. The defense is strong with a good pass rush.
4. The QB takes the easiest (highest probability) yardage gaining most times they get the chance.
5. Decent special teams play.
6. Not too many key injuries.

These 6 can get you into the playoffs with many QB’s. I would be fine moving on from any core players over 27 if the Cowboys don’t make it to the conference championship game this postseason. I know that the team cannot move on from Dak for at least 2 years.
What is it you really want to say?

But short... keep it brief.