CFZ Dave Campo Years were not because of the QB

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I appreciate your stubbornness. I already said that Dak could not be removed for at least 2 seasons. But a succession plan can begin as early as this draft if necessary or the 2024 draft.

You keep crapping on Alex because you need it to fit your narrative that success with Dak is far more probable than a similar team with Alex Smith. Alex took a team to the NFC championship and came within a botched punt return of going to a Super Bowl. He helped take a good squad to the postseason 4 out of 5 years with KC. He helped take a Washington team get to 6-4 before that horrific injury (beating a Dak led team on the way). I get it-you will die on your Dak hill, but he is more easily replaced than you want to admit.

Otherwise Cooper Rush, who has made it past waivers multiple times and had trouble throwing a ball much further than 20 yards could not go 5-1 in six starts with this club the past 2 seasons. I’m not making the case that Cooper or Alex is better, but it’s obvious that this club can win with him when playing well in the other phases.

I could agree that Dak is more irreplaceable if he looks great this postseason every single game and makes it to the NGCCG. If he cannot, then he’s just another good QB like Alex Smith that needs lots of healthy elite talent to make it to the summit. Nothing wrong with it-many QB’s are similarly limited but have good regular seasons with good squads.

I am almost 100% sure that Jerry will not allow the franchise to go that path. He will extend Dak until the wheels fall off and then eat the leftover cap like he did with Romo. He is frightened of having to start over like many on here are. That’s the one position that scares him. So afraid of getting it wrong-which is strange considering how often him and the front office have completely mis-evaluated other positions and players.

Your plan is not easy. I think keeping an elite offensive line healthy and elite is very difficult. Requires plenty of good backups and luck. Getting a stud DT will cost lots of cap in free agency or a premium draft pick-same with CB. Getting new running backs is fairly simple though (they might want to hang on to Pollard for the right price). They should make their best efforts in following your plan. I would be okay trading a first rounder and third rounder and some lower picks for Laremy Tunsil (along with a major extension). Daron Payne too.
Like I said. NO QB is going to win until we have a championship caliber roster. Which we dont. And certainly not some rookie. And dont bother telling me that Mahomes could win one. Mahomes is on KC.

AND........like I said, I would never pass up a franchise QB in the draft, ever.

In the meantime you continue to complete the roster and fix the issues. Because as we have seen.................the ONLY way for young or rookie QB's to win it all is to have a complete team ready for them.

I do agree that Jerry will ride Dak until the wheels fall off. The moron has always dont things that way. Got lucky with Romo and Dak.

So the bottom line is both of us are pretty much screwed because Jerry is here.

You basically need a Mahomes to have any chance of winning one here. Top 10 guys like Romo or Dak simply cant win with the teams jerry puts together.

Just try to remember what it was like in between Aikman and Romo. How much Jerry bumbled the QB search and how bad it was. You might want to think about what life might be like without Dak around.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Like I said. NO QB is going to win until we have a championship caliber roster. Which we dont. And certainly not some rookie. And dont bother telling me that Mahomes could win one. Mahomes is on KC.

AND........like I said, I would never pass up a franchise QB in the draft, ever.

In the meantime you continue to complete the roster and fix the issues. Because as we have seen.................the ONLY way for young or rookie QB's to win it all is to have a complete team ready for them.

I do agree that Jerry will ride Dak until the wheels fall off. The moron has always dont things that way. Got lucky with Romo and Dak.

So the bottom line is both of us are pretty much screwed because Jerry is here.

You basically need a Mahomes to have any chance of winning one here. Top 10 guys like Romo or Dak simply cant win with the teams jerry puts together.

Just try to remember what it was like in between Aikman and Romo. How much Jerry bumbled the QB search and how bad it was. You might want to think about what life might be like without Dak around.
I remember the between years of Aikman and Romo. That was the beginning of this thread. Those teams had no chance, and had few high picks to turn things around. It wasn’t about the QB-they had poor talent across the board and a DB coordinator attempting to be a head coach.

That’s also why I wouldn’t mind a return so much. Really make a mess of the squad to push Jones into a corner and make him uncomfortable enough to actually make real changes.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it was the DC years that saw Jerry with a Whistle around his neck during camp. It was rather embarrassing. He really believed he could coach the team. Dave never had a chance. He was undermined from the get go and he was not fit for the job as well. Jerry had the perfect yes man. Mike Fisher is the one guy that defends Jerry on this.
I was at camp back then and never saw Jerry with a whistle and never saw him attempt to coach players.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I remember the between years of Aikman and Romo. That was the beginning of this thread. Those teams had no chance, and had few high picks to turn things around. It wasn’t about the QB-they had poor talent across the board and a DB coordinator attempting to be a head coach.

That’s also why I wouldn’t mind a return so much. Really make a mess of the squad to push Jones into a corner and make him uncomfortable enough to actually make real changes.
That’s no plan. We’re lucky to have a top 10 qb. Same with romo. Jones is sooo bad we may not have 1 for another 20 years. Sadly this may be as good as it gets. Taking it all out on the qb because he isn’t mahomes is pointless.

plasticman

Reaction score
The first season of HBO's Hard Knocks documented the pathetic state of the Cowboys during that "era".

I would say that the QB position was not the "only" reason for three consecutive 5-11 seasons but it certainly contributed.

2000 Troy Aikman's final season, 156-252-1643YDS-7TD-14INT.

2001 A rookie, Quincy Carter, 90-176-1079YDS-5TD-7INT

2002 Chad Hutchinson, a rookie, ex-baseball player, a "project" for half a season before being fed to the lions, 127-250-1555-7TD-8INT.

Plus a small collection of fill-ins that shouldn't have even been in the league much less starting games.

Anthony Wright

Clint Stoerner

Ryan Leaf

starfan1

Reaction score
Yeah he was lol. Keep digging buddy. He had a 94.8 passer rating, 102 touchdowns, 33 interceptions, 17608 yards in 76 games. He won 50 games and lost 26. They made the playoffs in 4 out of 5 seasons (1-3 record). Yeah, he was terrible. Dude, you lose and then tell everyone the scoreboard is wrong. I don’t think Dak is bad. I think he is replaceable. Andy Reid would agree with me, which means your opinion doesn’t measure up.
so which QB are you giving up the farm for this year? I like young but there are ? with him.Stroud I cant remember when a OSU QB had sustained winning success in the NFL. Patrick mahomes while i cant stand him was a heck of a QB at tech. It was pretty clear that he was going to be decent plus he came to a team that had made the playoffs 3 years running so he didnt inherit slouches. Im ok with Dak being replaced I just dont want to try and pull a KC method to do it.

Blitzen

Reaction score
That’s no plan. We’re lucky to have a top 10 qb. Same with romo. Jones is sooo bad we may not have 1 for another 20 years. Sadly this may be as good as it gets. Taking it all out on the qb because he isn’t mahomes is pointless.
I never said that was my proposed plan, just that I would not mind so much if it happened with the replacement. I feel mildly pleasant, but my standards for the team are high and I do not ever accept less than the team aiming for the Super Bowl. Vince Lombardi said it best “winning isn’t everything. It’s the only thing.” The team I cheer for does not aim that high. The bar has consistently been the playoffs. Anything more being gravy.

The Cowboys would not immediately become some cellar dweller team (without Dak) because they do not fire the front office and coaches every 3 years. That’s what the losing squads continuously do. I would not be taking it out on Dak-my plan would involve him being the starter for 9 years (which is a good long tenure and plenty of time to prove oneself in the postseason).

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I never said that was my proposed plan, just that I would not mind so much if it happened with the replacement. I feel mildly pleasant, but my standards for the team are high and I do not ever accept less than the team aiming for the Super Bowl. Vince Lombardi said it best “winning isn’t everything. It’s the only thing.” The team I cheer for does not aim that high. The bar has consistently been the playoffs. Anything more being gravy.

The Cowboys would not immediately become some cellar dweller team (without Dak) because they do not fire the front office and coaches every 3 years. That’s what the losing squads continuously do. I would not be taking it out on Dak-my plan would involve him being the starter for 9 years (which is a good long tenure and plenty of time to prove oneself in the postseason).
Your standards are irrelevant. WE all want SB's. Its one of the reason why I cant stand a slow has been like Zeke dominating the carries for 18 million.

The difference is you blame Dak for the teams overall failures when its garbage. Dak is actually the best thing this team has going. Whether you get that or not is also irrelevant. When Mahomes comes along, let me know. Until then were lucky to have a top 10 guy. better than basically 70% of what the rest of the league has.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Your standards are irrelevant. WE all want SB's. Its one of the reason why I cant stand a slow has been like Zeke dominating the carries for 18 million.

The difference is you blame Dak for the teams overall failures when its garbage. Dak is actually the best thing this team has going. Whether you get that or not is also irrelevant. When Mahomes comes along, let me know. Until then were lucky to have a top 10 guy. better than basically 70% of what the rest of the league has.
No bro-you don’t get me. I don’t blame Dak for the overall failure of the team. I have said more than a few times I blame Jerry mostly for the team’s overall failure.

The part you seem to be missing is that I don’t care that the best thing this team has going for it is Dak. Not if the overall results in the postseason cannot be built upon (not after this many seasons). The other thing that you seem to keep avoiding is that I acknowledge that Dak will be the starting QB here for at least 2 more years.

Moving on from a veteran QB (AND older core) with his/THEIR lack of postseason success, is just changing before the wheels come off (and they will). I would not bet at all on Dak/THEM starting for 5 more full seasons because he was already a plodding runner who has obviously lost many steps (and the signs of increased injury are already lighting up).