CFZ Dave Campo Years were not because of the QB

Verdict

Reaction score
Ugh! I just got a mental picture of Dave Campo in that wet suit when the Cowboys visited Seaworld during training camp. He looked like a fuzzy headed mini shamu.
The mad poodle.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Garrett was still playing with the Giants when campo coached

You are correct. Who is that in the picture with Dave Campo and Coach Joe? That was the 2002 training camp where Dallas was on Hard Knocks and Campo took the team to Seaworld. It sure looks like Garrett. All the information I found says that Garrett was cut by the Giants on 2/27/2002 and then resigned with the Giants on 7/24/2002. Was there a brief time in 2002 when he was with Dallas in training camp before signing again with the Giants?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Yes it was not just the QB - wanna see what it was, just look up the drafts between Jimmy and Bill, I promise you it will be real ugly.

No GM would still have a job after that mess.

NO GM should have a job with taking Taco over TJ Watt either. And drafting Jaylon with a very high 2nd round pick. LVE in the 1st rd. And many others. But they do because they also own the team. Jerry already admitted he would have fired the GM if it wasn't him. Our franchise is ran by a circus clown show.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Campo was a good DB secondary coach on SB teams seemed like a players coach but I’m sorry 15-33 after three seasons yeah time for a change . Same with Wade . Good DC lousy HC .
true but he was jerrys first puppet HC and back then jerry meddled big time. I dont know who the OC was then but they were really bad.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Did some of you turn to cannibalism during the Dave Campo apocalyptic tenure? Judging by everyone’s potential reaction to what next if the Cowboys moved on from Dak - that of eating each other’s feces and washing it down with pig vomit.

Help me think of a QB that a team built around for more than 7 years that suddenly started making it to just the conference championship game after never reaching the threshold before. I am trying to understand you guys but cannot. Why continue to put money on a team’s core when they are aging and never reached the final four of the tournament?

Those Cowboys’ teams gave multiple 1st round picks to Seattle to acquire Joey Galloway and almost helped Seattle win a Super Bowl whilst crapping on the Dallas franchise. The team’s scouting department and draft management were a catastrophe those years and had been since Jimmy left. It wasn’t just the QB.

If I have learned anything by watching this season, it’s that there are many QB’s that can have good regular season success if:
1. The team has a decent offensive line and a strong running game.
2. The team commits to a ball control approach and does not turn the ball over much if at all
3. The defense is strong with a good pass rush.
4. The QB takes the easiest (highest probability) yardage gaining most times they get the chance.
5. Decent special teams play.
6. Not too many key injuries.

These 6 can get you into the playoffs with many QB’s. I would be fine moving on from any core players over 27 if the Cowboys don’t make it to the conference championship game this postseason. I know that the team cannot move on from Dak for at least 2 years.

Anyone wanting to move on from a top 10 QB is a complete moron. The Romo haters were clowns and the Dak haters are clowns.

Not our top 10 QB's fault that Jerry cant put the proper team around the QB to win more than on playoff game in the post season.

Its been 17 years with Romo and Dak and Jerry still hasnt been able to do it. Even Jerry will admit his biggest failure as GM is not putting a good enough team around both Romo and Dak to win it.

If the Niners with Garrappollo and the career of a QB like Stafford hasnt taught people anything about QB's, teams, and surrounding the QB then they will never learn.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Anyone wanting to move on from a top 10 QB is a complete moron. The Romo haters were clowns and the Dak haters are clowns.

Not our top 10 QB's fault that Jerry cant put the proper team around the QB to win more than on playoff game in the post season.

Its been 17 years with Romo and Dak and Jerry still hasnt been able to do it. Even Jerry will admit his biggestui failure as GM is not putting a good enough team around both Romo and Dak to win it.

If the Niners with Garrappollo and the career of a QB like Stafford hasnt taught people anything about QB's, teams, and surrounding the QB then they will never learn.
Jerry’s ego always got in the way. He literally lucked into Romo and then screwed the pooch for years with his head coaching (after Parcells) and drafting decisions. Then when Dak showed tremendous potential as a rookie to be the future and Romo got injured, the organization screwed the pooch when he got healthy again by going with braindead Garrett and choosing an unseasoned rookie over a veteran two years removed from an MVP type season (the previous year didn’t matter since he was getting slaughtered behind the offensive line and was injured). These are examples of not smart football decisions and that’s why the team has not won anything of significance for a generation.

It’s possible that the 49ers lucked into Romo-like situation with Purdy. We’ll have to see, but if that is the case, I doubt the 49ers organization will make the bumbling decisions of the Cowboys over many of its years in the past twenty five of them.

Blitzen

Reaction score

Its been 17 years with Romo and Dak and Jerry still hasnt been able to do it. Even Jerry will admit his biggest failure as GM is not putting a good enough team around both Romo and Dak to win it.

If you think Andy Reid is a moron for moving on from Alex Smith (who was absolutely a top 10 QB at the time), in favor of an unproven rookie that they gave 2 first rounders to get-then you proved you didn’t learn anything. Sorry to tell you that it happens. And teams have success after moving on-even greater than before. You should understand that no one on this squad is irreplaceable. Everyone should be for sale that is over 27 if the team flops yet again. But don’t worry too much-Jerruh actually agrees with you and will not risk getting exposed again. Dak almost certainly gets extended. I have no problem with it if the Cowboys make the NFCCG. I don’t understand on doubling down building around an aging losing core except from a business standpoint that believes fans will keep lapping the bowl. It doesn’t even matter for at least 2 years for Dak anyway (see his contract).

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If you think Andy Reid is a moron for moving on from Alex Smith (who was absolutely a top 10 QB at the time), in favor of an unproven rookie that they gave 2 first rounders to get-then you proved you didn’t learn anything. Sorry to tell you that it happens. And teams have success after moving on-even greater than before. You should understand that no one on this squad is irreplaceable. Everyone should be for sale that is over 27 if the team flops yet again. But don’t worry too much-Jerruh actually agrees with you and will not risk getting exposed again. Dak almost certainly gets extended. I have no problem with it if the Cowboys make the NFCCG. I don’t understand on doubling down building around an aging losing core except from a business standpoint that believes fans will keep lapping the bowl. It doesn’t even matter for at least 2 years for Dak anyway (see his contract).

Alex Smith was 100% not close to a top 10 QB. He also had Mahomes. Laughable example.

They drafted Mahomes because of how unreliable smith was. ONLY great season Smith had was his last one for KC.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Alex Smith was 100% not close to a top 10 QB. He also had Mahomes. Laughable example.

They drafted Mahomes because of how unreliable smith was. ONLY great season Smith had was his last one for KC.
Yeah he was lol. Keep digging buddy. He had a 94.8 passer rating, 102 touchdowns, 33 interceptions, 17608 yards in 76 games. He won 50 games and lost 26. They made the playoffs in 4 out of 5 seasons (1-3 record). Yeah, he was terrible. Dude, you lose and then tell everyone the scoreboard is wrong. I don’t think Dak is bad. I think he is replaceable. Andy Reid would agree with me, which means your opinion doesn’t measure up.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah he was lol. Keep digging buddy. He had a 94.8 passer rating, 102 touchdowns, 33 interceptions, 17608 yards in 76 games. He won 50 games and lost 26. They made the playoffs in 4 out of 5 seasons (1-3 record). Yeah, he was terrible. Dude, you lose and then tell everyone the scoreboard is wrong. I don’t think Dak is bad. I think he is replaceable. Andy Reid would agree with me, which means your opinion doesn’t measure up.

Alex Smith was a QB that had a year where he threw 0 TD's to WR's. LOL

He was a running QB that never measured up. He was a bus driver, nothing more.

Based on your Dak and Alex Smith evaluations you wouldnt know a good QB if you saw one. Andy Reid couldnt wait to get rid of Alex Smith.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Alex Smith was a QB that had a year where he threw 0 TD's to WR's. LOL

He was a running QB that never measured up. He was a bus driver, nothing more.

Based on your Dak and Alex Smith evaluations you wouldnt know a good QB if you saw one. Andy Reid couldnt wait to get rid of Alex Smith.
If Dak was much better, then he would be able to achieve what Alex did not (postseason wins). Don’t blubber over Dak. I think Dak is an okay QB that you must build an elite squad around to actually compete for the Super Bowl (by making it to the conference championship game at least). I think the same could be said of Alex. For being so down on the guy you seem to be ignoring all the real facts that surrounded him. It’s cool man, I don’t expect you to change your mind (too dug in).

The bulk of the league has that issue, or they are currently in search for an elite QB and suffering in the regular season without even a passable QB. I’m just not a fan of continuously building around good regular season performance with basically no real postseason success (when the current QB is about to finish year 7). Move on from the older core (asap) if they cannot look great this season in making it to the NFCCG and performing great in that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If Dak was much better, then he would be able to achieve what Alex did not (postseason wins). Don’t blubber over Dak. I think Dak is an okay QB that you must build an elite squad around to actually compete for the Super Bowl (by making it to the conference championship game at least). I think the same could be said of Alex. For being so down on the guy you seem to be ignoring all the real facts that surrounded him. It’s cool man, I don’t expect you to change your mind (too dug in).

The bulk of the league has that issue, or they are currently in search for an elite QB and suffering in the regular season without even a passable QB. I’m just not a fan of continuously building around good regular season performance with basically no real postseason success (when the current QB is about to finish year 7). Move on from the older core (asap) if they cannot look great this season in making it to the NFCCG and performing great in that.
Only to a layman like you that doesnt understand football. Teams win games, not QB's.

Dak is a very good QB. All the individual stats and regular season wins over his career more than show that. In order to have lots of success in the playoffs you need a great team. Cowboys havent had that in 30 years. Nothing to do with Romo or Dak. They simply havent been good enough, or had the coaching or defense.

You QB challenged fans will never truly understand football or winning until you understand the team concept in the NFL.

Stafford was a text book example of that. Probably no better example in football.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Only to a layman like you that doesnt understand football. Teams win games, not QB's.

Dak is a very good QB. All the individual stats and regular season wins over his career more than show that. In order to have lots of success in the playoffs you need a great team. Cowboys havent had that in 30 years. Nothing to do with Romo or Dak. They simply havent been good enough, or had the coaching or defense.

You QB challenged fans will never truly understand football or winning until you understand the team concept in the NFL.

Stafford was a text book example of that. Probably no better example in football.
You’re grasping at straws. Mahomes took basically the same Chiefs team to 4 straight AFCCG and 2 Super Bowls. The team was good before with Alex and then great with Mahomes. The QB can make a difference like that. It is possible.

Burrow takes a horrific o-line and Bengals team and turns them into a Super Bowl contender within 2 years (and they were atrocious before they got him and after he was injured his rookie season). Get over it-a QB can make that type of difference (good to great). It’s not like the Bengals have some type of super running game (though I like Joe Mixon the player).

I’m not claiming that it’s all on the QB-that’s just weak straw man argument. I am saying that the difference can jump a team from good to great with little more than the QB change.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Always felt bad for Campo since he was really put in a situation where there really wasn't anything positive thanks to the cap hell the Cowboys were in.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You’re grasping at straws. Mahomes took basically the same Chiefs team to 4 straight AFCCG and 2 Super Bowls. The team was good before with Alex and then great with Mahomes. The QB can make a difference like that. It is possible.

Burrow takes a horrific o-line and Bengals team and turns them into a Super Bowl contender within 2 years (and they were atrocious before they got him and after he was injured his rookie season). Get over it-a QB can make that type of difference (good to great). It’s not like the Bengals have some type of super running game (though I like Joe Mixon the player).

I’m not claiming that it’s all on the QB-that’s just weak straw man argument. I am saying that the difference can jump a team from good to great with little more than the QB change.
Absolutely, the team was already solid. Great coach. Mahomes has taken them to a new level. Not sure your point here.

Everyone in the world would love Mahomes, Allen, Burrows. Its like you QB guys always have to use the top guys to make a point. Which makes my point.

Mahomes isnt coming through that door tmrw. And getting rid of top 10 QB's until you finally find a Mahomes is a doomed strategy.

Now I would NEVER pass up on a elite level QB in the draft no matter who I had at QB.

But this nonsense about blaming everything on the QB because he isnt Mahomes is laughable.

Rogers just lost the Detroit in a high stakes playoff game this week. Brady can Barely get his team above 500 because the Oline sucks. Stafford was terrible with a bad team and line around him. Allen threw 14 picks this year, 15 last year.

The Oline is Cincy is suspect. Burrows is great. But the guy has nearly everything a QB could want save a great Oline.

Give me Burrows all day long. But again, he isnt walking through that door tomorrow.

The problem in Dallas isnt Dak and it wasnt Romo. Its coaching, the defense, and the players around them. Jerry.

Cowboys arent that far off. Health, a stud DT, solidify the Oline, get rid of Zeke and were a true contender. Coaching is another matter.

And your solution is what? Get rid of Dak? You do that and your looking at a 500 squad at best and good luck finding a top 5 QB anytime soon.

Last edited:

Blitzen

Reaction score
Absolutely, the team was already solid. Great coach. Mahomes has taken them to a new level. Not sure your point here.

Everyone in the world would love Mahomes, Allen, Burrows. Its like you QB guys always have to use the top guys to make a point. Which makes my point.

Mahomes isnt coming through that door tmrw. And getting rid of top 10 QB's until you finally find a Mahomes is a doomed strategy.

Now I would NEVER pass up on a elite level QB in the draft no matter who I had at QB.

But this nonsense about blaming everything on the QB because he isnt Mahomes is laughable.

Rogers just lost the Detroit in a high stakes playoff game this week. Brady can Barely get his team above 500 because the Oline sucks. Stafford was terrible with a bad team and line around him. Allen threw 14 picks this year, 15 last year.

The Oline is Cincy is suspect. Burrows is great. But the guy has nearly everything a QB could want save a great Oline.

Give me Burrows all day long. But again, he isnt walking through that door tomorrow.

The problem in Dallas isnt Dak and it wasnt Romo. Its coaching, the defense, and the players around them. Jerry.

Cowboys arent that far off. Health, a stud DT, solidify the Oline, get rid of Zeke and were a true contender. Coaching is another matter.

And your solution is what? Get rid of Dak? You do that and your looking at a 500 squad at best and good luck finding a top 5 QB anytime soon.
My point is fortune favors the brave. Andy Reid didn’t know what Mahomes would be after drafting him. He moved on from a very good QB that was producing way over .500 record (4 out of 5 playoff qualification). He hoped that it would mean better results and moved up in the draft by trading 2 first rounders to get him at number 10 overall.

Josh Allen was drafted number 7 overall. Buffalo moved on from Tyrod Taylor though he he produced a playoff appearance just the season prior. There were questions about both players, but they have flourished.

Teams take risks on these “potential” franchise players all the time to either great or disastrous results. They do it despite good regular season success with the other guy. San Francisco traded a bucket of 1st round picks to move on from Jimmy G. to draft a guy that who the hell knows will even turn into a starting caliber QB. If the formula is not working it is logical to move on. Get a grip. Dak is not some mythical unicorn standing in the way of Cowboys’ catastrophe-he’s aging and on the back side of his career (I’ve already said they cannot move on from him for at least 2 more years). Rush proved this team can win when everyone’s healthy and whole. 4-1 is not 0.500

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
My point is fortune favors the brave. Andy Reid didn’t know what Mahomes would be after drafting him. He moved on from a very good QB that was producing way over .500 record (4 out of 5 playoff qualification). He hoped that it would mean better results and moved up in the draft by trading 2 first rounders to get him at number 10 overall.

Josh Allen was drafted number 7 overall. Buffalo moved on from Tyrod Taylor though he he produced a playoff appearance just the season prior. There were questions about both players, but they have flourished.

Teams take risks on these “potential” franchise players all the time to either great or disastrous results. They do it despite good regular season success with the other guy. San Francisco traded a bucket of 1st round picks to move on from Jimmy G. to draft a guy that who the hell knows will even turn into a starting caliber QB. If the formula is not working it is logical to move on. Get a grip. Dak is not some mythical unicorn standing in the way of Cowboys’ catastrophe-he’s aging and on the back side of his career (I’ve already said they cannot move on from him for at least 2 more years). Rush proved this team can win when everyone’s healthy and whole. 4-1 is not 0.500He moved on from an average running QB that it was obvious couldn't run his high powered offense the way he wanted it.
Reid Moved on from an average running QB that couldnt run his high powered passing offense the way he wanted.

But notice that he didnt dump his QB before he found the next one.

I also wouldnt ever pass up a franchise QB in the first round.

He also lucked out on Mahomes with the 10th pick. More than likely that pick wouldnt have turned out better than Smith.

So AGAIN!!!!...................you have to use Mahomes to actually make a valid point.

1. He didnt get rid of Smith before he drafted Mahomes
2. Smith needed replacing and was just an average running type QB
3. He lucked out that Mahomes was all world.

So there are very little similarities here in Dallas

1. Dak is a top 10 QB running the #1 offense in the NFL 3 years running
2. What is your plan to simply get rid of Dak?
3. Whenever you do pick the new QB, good luck him being better than Dak

Weak plan

Here is a much easier plan:

1. Fix the Oline to its top 5 again
2. Get rid of Zeke and replace him with Pollard and a young stud
3. Get a stud DT in FA or the draft
4. Find a starting caliber corner in FA or the draft

We do that and we are a true contender

And FYI................any new QB would need us to do 1-4 for him to have a chance at being on a contender.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Reid Moved on from an average running QB that couldnt run his high powered passing offense the way he wanted.

But notice that he didnt dump his QB before he found the next one.

I also wouldnt ever pass up a franchise QB in the first round.

He also lucked out on Mahomes with the 10th pick. More than likely that pick wouldnt have turned out better than Smith.

So AGAIN!!!!...................you have to use Mahomes to actually make a valid point.

1. He didnt get rid of Smith before he drafted Mahomes
2. Smith needed replacing and was just an average running type QB
3. He lucked out that Mahomes was all world.

So there are very little similarities here in Dallas

1. Dak is a top 10 QB running the #1 offense in the NFL 3 years running
2. What is your plan to simply get rid of Dak?
3. Whenever you do pick the new QB, good luck him being better than Dak

Weak plan

Here is a much easier plan:

1. Fix the Oline to its top 5 again
2. Get rid of Zeke and replace him with Pollard and a young stud
3. Get a stud DT in FA or the draft
4. Find a starting caliber corner in FA or the draft

We do that and we are a true contender

And FYI................any new QB would need us to do 1-4 for him to have a chance at being on a contender.
I appreciate your stubbornness. I already said that Dak could not be removed for at least 2 seasons. But a succession plan can begin as early as this draft if necessary or the 2024 draft.

You keep crapping on Alex because you need it to fit your narrative that success with Dak is far more probable than a similar team with Alex Smith. Alex took a team to the NFC championship and came within a botched punt return of going to a Super Bowl. He helped take a good squad to the postseason 4 out of 5 years with KC. He helped take a Washington team get to 6-4 before that horrific injury (beating a Dak led team on the way). I get it-you will die on your Dak hill, but he is more easily replaced than you want to admit.

Otherwise Cooper Rush, who has made it past waivers multiple times and had trouble throwing a ball much further than 20 yards could not go 5-1 in six starts with this club the past 2 seasons. I’m not making the case that Cooper or Alex is better, but it’s obvious that this club can win with him when playing well in the other phases.

I could agree that Dak is more irreplaceable if he looks great this postseason every single game and makes it to the NGCCG. If he cannot, then he’s just another good QB like Alex Smith that needs lots of healthy elite talent to make it to the summit. Nothing wrong with it-many QB’s are similarly limited but have good regular seasons with good squads.

I am almost 100% sure that Jerry will not allow the franchise to go that path. He will extend Dak until the wheels fall off and then eat the leftover cap like he did with Romo. He is frightened of having to start over like many on here are. That’s the one position that scares him. So afraid of getting it wrong-which is strange considering how often him and the front office have completely mis-evaluated other positions and players.

Your plan is not easy. I think keeping an elite offensive line healthy and elite is very difficult. Requires plenty of good backups and luck. Getting a stud DT will cost lots of cap in free agency or a premium draft pick-same with CB. Getting new running backs is fairly simple though (they might want to hang on to Pollard for the right price). They should make their best efforts in following your plan. I would be okay trading a first rounder and third rounder and some lower picks for Laremy Tunsil (along with a major extension). Daron Payne too.