Dave Moore on Romo/Garrett relationship

Kaiser

Reaction score
This is nothing new .. competitive players are never happy when they lose their starting position for any reason. Garrett has a job to do and as all coaches do, even Belichick, you put the team before any one player. If I were Romo, I would have been upset as well to lose a seemingly untouchable starting position prior to the season. That said, how do you think he got the job in the first place? It happened to him and one day it will happen to Prescott.

Exactly, we spent weeks reading about the firestorm that would happen when Romo was healthy again but all sides handled it extremely well. Now we get these articles that it wasn't a lovefest and some people are surprised.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Agree. I have thought this for weeks. Romo isn't with Witten or any players or coaches in any public events lately. I don't think that is by accident. I also have a feeling that Romo, at some point, will break silence and his "true" feelings about some of his days on the team...coaches, GM moves, etc will be made known. People will say he is too classy but he will do it in a sly way. His speech shows that he can throw shade
Romo has hung out with Witten plenty, and also Tyrone Crawford and others in recent weeks.

He's just not being so public about it . And that is smart, imo.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not true. Romo and Zeke go out to dinner frequently, and have attended Mavericks games. He's still out and about with the guys.

But it is cooled between him and Garrett. I never liked their offseason travels to begin with. Seemed weird. Can you imagine Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning going to UConn games together? Odd.

Be friends with coaches after you retire.
:laugh:
Yeah, it was bit weird but it wasn't all that often as people made it seem really.

The two Duke trips were when Romo was going up to have chalk talk and train with David Cutliff at Duke. Garrett wanted to attend Coach K's practices, and thought they'd time it when they had a big home game (like vs Carolina). I think Murray and Witten came along the last time.

The SMU game attendance was also in support of the resurgence of a local program that had another legendary coach , Larry Brown. Brown also allowed Garrett to attend some practices. And then both also like watching basketball.

Other than that, and contrary to what the press wants people believe, Garrett and Romo didn't hangout out a ton outside of Valley Ranch.

rynochop

Reaction score
Romo does have two kids and a prego wife at home, as I'm sure some of you have been in that situation it was probably easier to stay at home then ask to go hang out with his boys at a Mavs game

DandyDon52

Reaction score
as soon as JG was 3-1 with dak, that was it for Romo, JG had already jumped trains, Like I said in my thread,
JG is better off with a young QB, less pressure to win, and extends JG's job for many years.
If he stays with romo there is more pressure to win now.

It is ironic, but in hindsight if he had went back to tony they might all have rings right now.
Dak was good but wasnt ready for GB, Atlanta, and NE. Tony had the experience and might have actually done it.
Pure speculation, but it was possible.
JG stayed with dak , had a good season, then one and done in playoffs again.
But he won coy and nobody is saying he should have won, or that he is on hotseat for losing in playoffs again

Dumping Romo was the best move for JG, not sure if it was for the team though.

Kaiser

Reaction score
It is ironic, but in hindsight if he had went back to tony they might all have rings right now.

I agree with that and IMO starting either QB would have been fine. But in the long run, it was best for the team to stay with Prescott.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo does have two kids and a prego wife at home, as I'm sure some of you have been in that situation it was probably easier to stay at home then ask to go hang out with his boys at a Mavs game
It is different with young kids and one on the way.
But Candice actually complains that he's too much of a homebody...for him to get out of the house a little more. For both their sanity, I assume.:laugh:

So, Romo is playing in the Azalea invitational Gold Tourney next Wednesday.

Can't workout 8 hours a day, every day. And better not to hit the bars--not that he ever really did--so it makes sense.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Can't wait till both of them are gone from this organization. "Romo Friendly", "Garrett friendly"....We've spent a decade catering to the comforts of these two and have nothing to show for it. Not even a bromance.
Hate liking this statement but it is or has become real. Time and inconsistency has taken toll on both TR and JG for different reasons however it's time to turn the page on both.
Would like to see Jerry go to pasture as well since he's holding the reigns on both of these guys. The experiment is all but over Jerry. Let your son try to accomplish what you could not (on your own).

rags747

Reaction score
This is nothing new .. competitive players are never happy when they lose their starting position for any reason. Garrett has a job to do and as all coaches do, even Belichick, you put the team before any one player. If I were Romo, I would have been upset as well to lose a seemingly untouchable starting position prior to the season. That said, how do you think he got the job in the first place? It happened to him and one day it will happen to Prescott.
Well Romo got the job by Bledsoe convincing Parcells that he no longer had it, a little bit different. I would have completely understood if we went back to Romo, but that train has moved on and I just hope that we can at least land a 4th for Romo at this point.

rags747

Reaction score
Hate liking this statement but it is or has become real. Time and inconsistency has taken toll on both TR and JG for different reasons however it's time to turn the page on both.
Would like to see Jerry go to pasture as well since he's holding the reigns on both of these guys. The experiment is all but over Jerry. Let your son try to accomplish what you could not (on your own).
Ridiculous comment IMO, but whatever.

kevm3

Reaction score
as soon as JG was 3-1 with dak, that was it for Romo, JG had already jumped trains, Like I said in my thread,
JG is better off with a young QB, less pressure to win, and extends JG's job for many years.
If he stays with romo there is more pressure to win now.

Dak was good but wasnt ready for GB, Atlanta, and NE. Tony had the experience and might have actually done it.
Pure speculation, but it was possible.
JG stayed with dak , had a good season, then one and done in playoffs again.
But he won coy and nobody is saying he should have won, or that he is on hotseat for losing in playoffs again

Dumping Romo was the best move for JG, not sure if it was for the team though.

Defense lost Green Bay, not the offense. We would have gotten lit up by Atlanta, New England, if we even got past Green Bay with Romo.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Defense lost Green Bay, not the offense. We would have gotten lit up by Atlanta, New England, if we even got past Green Bay with Romo.
No it was the offense too, and also the coaches.
or as JG would say they lost all 3 phases.

Reactions: Coy

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
He should be pissed. JG did the right thing, but if I were Romo, I'd be pissed too.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So 95 out of 100 people nationwide think the opposite of this, but I notice you did get a few likes.
You do realize he said "Dak has earned the right to start"

The noise about a potential QB was becoming very loud and distracting.
The dude cant win.
There were people here blaming Romo and calling him selfish for NOT giving some sort of concession speech. Lol
Then when he does...and a very sincere and humble speech by (nearly) all accounts....people like you call him out as self-serving.

Would not have mattered what he did. Classic haters gonna hate situation.
When have we ever seen this type of concession speech before? Humble yes, necessary No!

Romo could have given this short and sweet without this " dark and gloomy place" for him. I thought he was gonna cry.

We didn't need him publicly in this format to announce he was in support of Dak. It was obvious he wasn't in support of the decision.

If he hadn't would the Romo Homers thought he should have been starting? Jerry, Stephen and Jason had all stated why they were going with Dak. That wasn't enough?

And I'm not a Romo hater. I thought we should have put him back in before the playoffs. He's definitely the better QB when healthy . I just tell it like I see it.

Last edited: