News: David Irving Named NFC Defensive Player of the Week

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is his speed off the ball quick twitch, or is it the bend around the corner (ala Von Miller) type of speed? Thanks for the feedback Phil, I (for god knows what reason) haven't watched him close enough.
He played DT in the Packers game.

His quickness is very good for a DT but a big part of his success comes from his ability to use his length and power. He can bench press OLinemen away because they can't get their hands on him. His super long arms combined with impressive strength and big hands really screws up the OLinemen from a technique perspective.

It helps a lot that Collins, McClain and others had worn down the OL first and then Irving came in fresh.

Collins has been very impressive. He has played the most snaps of any DL in several games. He has size, quickness and consistency.

Irving has not been as consistent as Collins but flashes freak athletic traits.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

His quickness is very good for a DT but a big part of his success comes from his ability to use his length and power. He can bench press OLinemen away because they can't get their hands on him. His super long arms combined with impressive strength and big hands really screws up the OLinemen from a technique perspective.

It helps a lot that Collins, McClain and others had worn down the OL first and then Irving came in fresh.

Collins has been very impressive. He has played the most snaps of any DL in several games. He has size, quickness and consistency.

Does he have an elite ceiling, X, as a DT? From what little you've seen? Is it his motor that causes him to flash in spurts?

Thanks for the awesome feed back, brother.

conner01

Reaction score
we'll give the kid 25 snaps and he might push zeke for rookie of the year lol
You really can't be more impactful than he was. That's Watt like impact

Reactions: BAT

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There use to be a time when taller DT's were in vogue.

John Dutton was 6-7.

Buck Buchanan 6-7 and Ernie Ladd 6-9 were the starting DT's for the Chiefs– And both were top-notch DT's.

I think a lot of the more athletic tall guys migrated into basketball, so we don't see that many of them now.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does he have an elite ceiling, X, as a DT? From what little you've seen? Is it his motor that causes him to flash in spurts?

Thanks for the awesome feed back, brother.
It is difficult to know because it's difficult to compare him to other players.

My opinion is yes, he can be elite as a part time DT for certain. I don't know if he'll become an elite starter because he will take a beating playing DT with his build.

Right now he is Jimmie Jones. Jones was a backup on the Super Bowl teams that flashed dominance but was inconsistent when he got extended playing time. The mental side will likely determine his true upside and I don't know much about him from that perspective.

I do love watching freak athletes like Irving. Most DTs would need a full extra step to be in reach of the QB or RB, but Irving can just extend so freakish far that he doesn't need the extra step.

Some compare him to Leon Lett, but they are different. Lett was all about quickness for such a large man. Irving is more about using a combination of length, big hands, quickness and power.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There use to be a time when taller DT's were in vogue.

John Dutton was 6-7.

Buck Buchanan 6-7 and Ernie Ladd 6-9 were the starting DT's for the Chiefs– And both were top-notch DT's.

I think a lot of the more athletic tall guys migrated into basketball, so we don't see that many of them now.
Bob Lilly was 6-5 and the average OL seemed shorter back then.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
It is difficult to know because it's difficult to compare him to other players.

My opinion is yes, he can be elite as a part time DT for certain. I don't know if he'll become an elite starter because he will take a beating playing DT with his build.

Right now he is Jimmie Jones. Jones was a backup on the Super Bowl teams that flashed dominance but was inconsistent when he got extended playing time. The mental side will likely determine his true upside and I don't know much about him from that perspective.

I do love watching freak athletes like Irving. Most DTs would need a full extra step to be in reach of the QB or RB, but Irving can just extend so freakish far that he doesn't need the extra step.

Some compare him to Leon Lett, but they are different. Lett was all about quickness for such a large man. Irving is more about using a combination of length, big hands, quickness and power.

Thank you, X. My eyes will be on him very closely from here on out (it's embarrassing to admit that I've been more focused on other players when this stud is front and center, but so it goes).

Thank you for taking the time, X :)

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
This guy could be a star. I hope Marinelli is on him 24/7 because he's got ALL the physical tools to be great.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Lilly was 6-5 and the average OL seemed shorter back then.

Yep, Jethro Pugh was also.

I think the shorter/squatter player started in the mid 80's with guys like "Frig", his bother, Nate Newton. And then it was a race to find the shortest, squattest player.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
IIRC, you can include a knocked down pass in there as well. Amazing the impact he had on his 19 snaps. I believe also he has Leon Lett coaching him, same size and style of play. Looks like its working.

I was gonna mention that. His knocked down pass was a big third down play.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thank you, X. My eyes will be on him very closely from here on out (it's embarrassing to admit that I've been more focused on other players when this stud is front and center, but so it goes).

Thank you for taking the time, X :)
He has not played that many snaps so don't feel too bad. He started the season with a groin issue and then had a concussion.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
His wingspan is crazy. At 6ft 7in he is a physical freak. Hopefully he keeps getting better, and we'll start seeing a lot of batted balls to go with his forced fumbles.

Btw, if 3 forced fumbles, a fumble recovery, and a sack don't get you player of the week, I don't know what does. And he did all of that while only being on the field for 19 snaps.

He also batted down a critical 3rd down pass against Green Bay. And for a guy with his length, he is very strong and able to get low enough to get leverage on the OL. Great vision too, always knows where the ball is.

Everyone saying he is a part time DT just seems odd to me. He's coming off injury for Pete's sake, so it stands to reason his playing time is being monitored just like DLaw after he returned from his suspension.

If DLaw had this kind of impact his first game back, fans/media/everyone and their mother would be screaming for him to enter the Hall of Fame tomorrow. SMH at the double standard. Collins had more than double the snaps than Irving and yet there are some that swear he's the better player because he received more snaps or is more disciplined.

If Irving is undisciplined, then every single DL needs to be more undisciplined. What Irving did was unprecedented people, this was a special performance that we all just witnessed. And he created 5 game changing plays 3 forced fumbles, 1 sack, 1 fumble recovery and a critical 3rd down pass batted down in ONLY 17 snaps!!! The other 2 snaps were on ST I believe. 17 SNAPS!!!

Last edited:

manster4ever

Reaction score
Hopefully this wakes them up to the fact he needs to play more.

YES....can we cut the nonsense about him "wearing down" if they play him too much? He's a young man and fantastic athlete....PLAY the man!!!!!!!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I must've confused Irving with someone else. I had no idea he was only 23. I really thought he had been in the league awhile jumping from a few teams practice squads. I thought he was the DE we got from the Colts.

He might just be starting to get it and by year 3 could be something pretty special.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He also batted down a critical 3rd down pass against Green Bay. And for a guy with his length, he is very strong and able to get low enough to get leverage on the OL. Great vision too, always knows where the ball is.

Everyone saying he is a part time DT just seems odd to me. He's coming off injury for Pete's sake, so it stands to reason his playing time is being monitored just like DLaw after he returned from his suspension.

If DLaw had this kind of impact his first game back, fans/media/everyone and their mother would be screaming for him to enter the Hall of Fame tomorrow. SMH at the double standard. Collins had more than double the snaps than Irving and yet there are some that swear he's the better player because he received more snaps or is more disciplined.

If Irving is undisciplined, then every single DL needs to be more undisciplined. What Irving did was unprecedented people, this was a special performance that we all just witnessed. And he created 5 game changing plays 3 forced fumbles, 1 sack, 1 fumble recovery and a critical 3rd down pass batted down in ONLY 17 snaps!!! The other 2 snaps were on ST I believe. 17 SNAPS!!!
Undisciplined usually means not playing within the scheme against the run. He did all of his damage in the 2nd half when the Packers were not much of a threat to run the ball.

Regardless of performance, if coaches allow 1 player to abandon playing within the scheme, then they will eventually have complete defense doing the same thing and that would be a bad situation. That would basically be the Rob Ryan style of defense. Players often flashed great plays in his scheme but overall the lack of discipline killed them.

He played 19 snaps after not playing because of injury issues so it's not as if they are shutting him out in terms of playing time. His time will come.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I must've confused Irving with someone else. I had no idea he was only 23. I really thought he had been in the league awhile jumping from a few teams practice squads. I thought he was the DE we got from the Colts.

He might just be starting to get it and by year 3 could be something pretty special.
You might be thinking of Lawrence Okoye that was in training camp. He is tall and lanky and has been with some other teams.