David Irving only 23 years old

perrykemp

Reaction score
To this point, I would actually use Sean Lee's deal as a prototype for Mo's new deal, and I agree that we should (and will) re-sign him. We invested so much time and draft capital with him I'd like to enjoy the fruits now that he's come into his own.

I dunno. Looks like Mo will have played a grand total of 7 games this season.

He will have played in 47 of 80 games in his entire career.

At some point that has to be recognition that Mo is completely unreliable and therefore can't be counted on. I'd rather than dedicate those resources to someone who actually will play more than occasionally.

Talented players who can't be counted on to play as the quintessential "coach killers".

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Pretty young group with Collins, Gregory, Irving, Jaylon Smith, Brown and B. Jones, we can have a special defense if we get a Big DT and another CB or Safety.

I'm pulling the reins on this wagon because I don't think we know if these players are going to be "special" yet.

I like what some of the young talent is showing, but it's still pretty far removed from Doomsday levels. I still think end remains our biggest need, especially with Gregory facing another possible suspension and Lawrence's back issues.

Mayowa and Irving seem to be pretty good pieces there, but I just don't know how good. I feel better about the DTs with Crawford, Collins, Thornton and McClain than the ends as a group.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
7M per would be fine if he played 16 games.

I would either offer him the 1-year, 3M type contract OR offer him an incentive type contract like 500K per game played. That is 8M for 16 games but would be 3.5M for the 7 games that he played this season.

Better yet, I would kick the tires on Trumaine Johnson. He was Franchised this season after having 7 INTs last year. This year he only has 1 pick and being on a losing team could help keep his asking price down.
I think it is a combo.....a 3m base with a 200k per game incentive...1m annual raise for 3 more years

This latest injury crushed his FA market

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It is great having Irving under contract for 2 more years

2017 ERFA for around 600k
2018 RFA 2nd tender for around 3.5m

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Irving is going to be a fixture on defense. He's an exclusive rights free agent this year and then a restricted free agent after 2017. I really like him at LDE and then sliding him inside on passing downs. I hope they keep him in that role instead of playing Tyrone Crawford at DE.

I still want a RDE this off-season. Lawrence and Gregory are not reliable as of now.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
I consider DE and CB - 1a and 1b. Both are needed, and require a high pick/talent level.
Will also be interesting to see what they decide to do with McClain DT.
If we can get McClay to be anywhere as near successful with this next draft as this years we should be in good shape ! Knowing that the difference in draft positions will mean talent wise we will not have as good opportunities to collect said talent.

WeaponX

Reaction score

At some point that has to be recognition that Mo is completely unreliable and therefore can't be counted on. I'd rather than dedicate those resources to someone who actually will play more than occasionally.

Talented players who can't be counted on to play as the quintessential "coach killers".
You make a great point about availability, but I do think we should try to retain him on a "pay for play" type of deal, something along the lines of vet. minimum + weekly roster bonuses in the $400k range. Call this his 3rd strike, if it doesn't work out, we move on for good.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

Also, a good counterpoint, Perry. :)

@bkight13 thanks for your input below (Perry's post). One thing is certain, his contract will be intriguing.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I'm pulling the reins on this wagon because I don't think we know if these players are going to be "special" yet.

I like what some of the young talent is showing, but it's still pretty far removed from Doomsday levels. I still think end remains our biggest need, especially with Gregory facing another possible suspension and Lawrence's back issues.

Mayowa and Irving seem to be pretty good pieces there, but I just don't know how good. I feel better about the DTs with Crawford, Collins, Thornton and McClain than the ends as a group.

We need McClain. He's an incredibly disruptive 1T and, at times, has been our best DL.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Completely disagree on defensive end.

Frankly, they need to go into the offseason as if Randy Gregory and DeMarcus Lawrence aren't on the team. Neither of them can be fully counted on, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if one or both aren't available for large chunks of the 2017 season. Also, with Tapper's back condition, there's a great unknown as to how he will hold up through the season. It's a congenital condition - do not know whether it will be chronic.

That leaves two DEs that would be in the mix. There's no question that the position is a huge need and needs to be addressed.

Exactly right. I'm looking at that list with only Irving and Mayowa as reliable starters. We still need DEs badly

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I'm as concerned about CB as DE for next season. Carr and Claiborne are free agents. Carr is just OK and Claiborne can't stay healthy. That leaves Scandrick and Brown. Scandrick seems somewhat prone to injury now also.

Much like DE, adding 1 legit player at the position could make a drastic improvement on the whole unit because it pushes all of the other players down the depth chart. At DE, I like DLaw more as a number 2 DE than as a #1 DE for 2017. If they had a legit star RDE, then DLaw competes with Irving at the starting SDE.

They'll probably re-sign Carr and Claiborne to reasonable type contracts, but I would consider just signing 1 legit CB like Trumaine Johnson instead of those two.

I don't see us spending quality money on anyone other than our own guys. Last big free agent contract we gave out was Carr and he never played to the ability we hoped. Even resigning our own guys hasn't been a given considering we paid Tyrone Crawford and he hasn't even proven to be a reliable starter. It looks like we're fully invested in building through the draft by hitting home runs on our 1st round picks (Dez, Smith, Frederick, Martin, Zeke) and finding some mid-late round steals (Dak, Brown, Wilson, Hitchens).

The positions I think we'd most need to spend money on free agents would be WDE and CB. But I don't see us breaking the bank on anyone who wouldn't be a definite upgrade over who we currently have. Those also happen to be the most expensive positions on the defense. I see us resigning our own CBs to non-expensive deals and spending our 1st round pick on BPA. If we do spend money on free agents, I see us getting young, cheap players like Mayowa. I don't see us being interested in any 30+ year old veterans like Freeney and Weddle. Heck, even our biggest free agency acquisition Thornton hasn't been able to beat out rookies and other no-names on our roster.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't see us spending quality money on anyone other than our own guys. Last big free agent contract we gave out was Carr and he never played to the ability we hoped. Even resigning our own guys hasn't been a given considering we paid Tyrone Crawford and he hasn't even proven to be a reliable starter. It looks like we're fully invested in building through the draft by hitting home runs on our 1st round picks (Dez, Smith, Frederick, Martin, Zeke) and finding some mid-late round steals (Dak, Brown, Wilson, Hitchens).

The positions I think we'd most need to spend money on free agents would be WDE and CB. But I don't see us breaking the bank on anyone who wouldn't be a definite upgrade over who we currently have. Those also happen to be the most expensive positions on the defense. I see us resigning our own CB to non-expensive deals and spending our 1st round pick on BPA. If we do spend money on free agents, I see us getting young, cheap players like Mayowa. I don't see us being interested in any 30+ year old veterans like Freeney and Weddle. Heck, even our biggest free agency acquisition Thornton hasn't been able to beat out rookies and other no-names on our roster.
DE is not that desperate with TCrawford, DLawrence, DIrving, BMayowa, CTapper, RGregory

CBs are only OScan and ABrown right now

gimmesix

Reaction score
We need McClain. He's an incredibly disruptive 1T and, at times, has been our best DL.

The only thing not in his favor is his inability to stay healthy. He's struggled with various health issues since we signed him. When he's been healthy, he's been a good interior piece for us.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
The only thing not in his favor is his inability to stay healthy. He's struggled with various health issues since we signed him. When he's been healthy, he's been a good interior piece for us.

I completely agree. It's confounding, 6.

gimmesix

Reaction score
DE is not that desperate with TCrawford, DLawrence, DIrving, BMayowa, CTapper, RGregory

Crawford should go back inside. Lawrence and Tapper have back issues. Gregory is facing another suspension. ... So that leaves us with Mayowa and Irving.

I do like that as a group, the ends have 17 sacks among them. Of course, I'd rather have one player, like a Ware, getting those kinds of numbers and the rest complementing that player.

Last edited:

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score

Yeah, that's why I see us resigning at least one of Claiborne and Carr and possibly bringing in a cheap free agent if we let one of them go.

As far as DE goes, I posted earlier in this thread that we currently have 5 DEs on the roster under the age of 25. I agree with others that at least 3 of them have a ton of question marks and none of them are elite caliber. But we'd have to spend huge money on a young elite DE. We'd likely have to overpay someone like JPP or take another chance on a basket case like Hardy. And there's no guarantee that the best DE available at the end of the 1st round will be able to make an immediate impact next year. We're most likely sticking with the same DEs we currently have on the roster and hoping someone like Irving, Gregory, Lawrence or Tapper can turn into a stud.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I see us resigning at least one of Claiborne and Carr and possibly bringing in a cheap free agent if we let one of them go.

As far as DE goes, I posted earlier in this thread that we currently have 5 DEs on the roster under the age of 25. I agree with others that at least 3 of them have a ton of question marks and none of them are elite caliber. But we'd have to spend huge money on a young elite DE. We'd likely have to overpay someone like JPP or take another chance on a basket case like Hardy. And there's no guarantee that the best DE available at the end of the 1st round will be able to make an immediate impact next year. We're most likely sticking with the same DEs we currently have on the roster and hoping someone like Irving, Greg

As far as DE goes, I posted earlier in this thread that we currently have 5 DEs on the roster under the age of 25. I agree with others that at least 3 of them have a ton of question marks and none of them are elite caliber. But we'd have to spend huge money on a young elite DE. We'd likely have to overpay someone like JPP or take another chance on a basket case like Hardy. And there's no guarantee that the best DE available at the end of the 1st round will be able to make an immediate impact next year. We're most likely sticking with the same DEs we currently have on the roster and hoping someone like Irving, Gregory, Lawrence or Tapper can turn into a stud.

ory, Lawrence or Tapper can turn into a stud.
I think both Mo and Carr might come back....for the right money of course..... if someone wants to overpay we can go the comp draft pick route