David Irving only 23 years old

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
When was the last time any free agent player in the NFL signed back w/his home team on a discount?
Mo Claiborne signed a one year 3m deal in DAL if I recall

So did Beasley and Hanna and Heath and TCrawford(compared to Heyward) and OScan and TSmith and TRomo

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I've read a little about Tapper's back issue. It appears that many people with that condition do get over it with an extended period or rest sometimes combined with a brace.

As with many medical issues, there are varying degrees of this condition. In my non-medical terms it could be a hairline fracture where the 2 pieces of bone are still basically together or it could be a complete separation of the 2 pieces of bone. If it is more of a hairline fracture, then it can heal with extended rest and possibly a brace. If there is enough separation in the break then something called a direct pars repair can be done which uses screws and possibly a bone graft to repair the break.

This injury is often seen in young athletes. Their constant activity never allows the fracture to heal.

The numbers seem to vary, but it seems that somewhere around 75% of these cases that are treated heal without surgery.

It is not an injury. It is like stenosis and scoliosis in that it is a result of gene expression.

I have seen nothing to indicate that a fusion will happen. Given that he was born with it as it is a genetic disorder it hasn't healed to this point.

It does not inherently cause inflammation but it will remain problematic given the nature of what DL do.

Reaction score
The team has lots of DE's, but the only true keeper of that group is Irving. And thats only been a very recent event.

Everybody else has either suspension or injury questions. Or, like Mayowa, is at best a depth/rotational player.

We need a true pressure guy who commands attention on every play. Maybe Irving is becoming that guy. But it is still way too soon to know for sure. DE is a definite priority in the next draft.

CWR

Reaction score
When was the last time any free agent player in the NFL signed back w/his home team on a discount?

I suppose it's more of a I haven't been able to stay healthy discount.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I'll say it till I'm blue in the face -- and I know, I know -- with some it's not popular (and without being melodramatic, with others it is [popular]), we need a nice DE FA signing.

What we did in the past is not how we should be handling the present, given this extraordinary window we have, that really came out of nowhere. JPP, if he isn't resolute in staying in NY, should be a target.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I think both Mo and Carr might come back....for the right money of course..... if someone wants to overpay we can go the comp draft pick route

Mo has been playing at an elite level when healthy. Biggest issues with him are health and money. We may luck out into being able to sign an elite 26 year old CB to a fairly cheap deal considering his injury issue. We deserve it though. We put him with him for 5 years.

I think we can bring back Carr for very cheap. But I don't know if we will. He's basically the Doug Free of the defense. The cons are he'll be 31 and isn't anything special. The pros are he's been extremely healthy and knows the system.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The team has lots of DE's, but the only true keeper of that group is Irving. And thats only been a very recent event.

Everybody else has either suspension or injury questions. Or, like Mayowa, is at best a depth/rotational player.

We need a true pressure guy who commands attention on every play. Maybe Irving is becoming that guy. But it is still way too soon to know for sure. DE is a definite priority in the next draft.

Mayowa has six sacks. I do agree that he's a rotational player, but he's come on to look like he can be a pretty big part of that rotation.

T-RO

Reaction score
Mo Claiborne signed a one year 3m deal in DAL if I recall

So did Beasley and Hanna and Heath and TCrawford(compared to Heyward) and OScan and TSmith and TRomo

And again: which of these were discounts on a guy with looming free agency? Extensions are very different -- the guy isn't hitting the open market. And which of these were discounts?

-Romo got a MASSIVE contract.
-Smith was two years away from free agency and and got $98 mil extension
-Scandrick got $10 mil for added year
-Beasley was a third receiver at the time...got good money
-Heath...Crawford...Hanna aren't regarded as premium talents

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is not an injury. It is like stenosis and scoliosis in that it is a result of gene expression.

I have seen nothing to indicate that a fusion will happen. Given that he was born with it as it is a genetic disorder it hasn't healed to this point.

It does not inherently cause inflammation but it will remain problematic given the nature of what DL do.

Spondylolysis (spon-dee-low-lye-sis) is defined as a defect or stress fracture in the pars interarticularis of the vertebral arch.

Spondylolysis is typically caused by a stress fracture of the bone, and is especially common in adolescents who over-train in activities. The pars interarticularis is vulnerable to fracture during spinal hyper-extension, especially when combined with rotation, or when experiencing a force during a landing. This stress fracture most commonly occurs where the concave lumbar spine transitions to the convex sacrum (L5-S1).

Lumbar spondylolysis, a unilateral or bilateral stress fracture of the narrow bridge between the upper and lower pars interarticularis, is a common cause of low back pain (LBP) in adolescent athletes. [1] The lifetime prevalence of LBP in those aged 11-17 years has been reported to be as high as 30.4% among adolescents participating in sports. [2] Although a variety of disorders are likely responsible for these cases, lumbar spondylolysis must be considered in the differential diagnosis of LBP in this population.

Lumbar spondylolysis is a radiographic finding that is believed to develop, in most cases, during early childhood. Typically, it is not associated with any clinical symptomatology of significance, except in a particular subset of patients who are young and adolescent athletes participating in sports that involve repetitive spinal motion, especially lumbar flexion/extension, and to a lesser degree, rotation.
Athletes who are involved in gymnastics, diving, weight lifting, wrestling, rowing, figure skating, dancing, volleyball, soccer, tennis, and football have been found to have a higher incidence of spondylolysis. [3] The pars interarticularis defect is believed by most authors to represent a fatigue fracture caused by repetitive loading and unloading of this region of the vertebrae from physical activity.

Tapper most likely has what is shown in the middle of the 3 images (Spondylolysis). If the break has not separated too much then it can heal with extended rest which can be helped by wearing a back brace. If it progresses to Spondylolisthesis, then it is a bigger problem and the entire disk can then slip out of place.

The 3rd image down shows a unilateral fracture.

The 4th image down shows a bi-lateral fracture.

The very last image show a Direct Pars Repair.

A00053F02.jpg

0311_16.jpg

lumbar_spondylolysis_cause01.jpg

slide_23.jpg

Lumbar-Pars-Defect.jpg

Direct-repair-using-the-direct-pars-screws-performed-in-5thlumbar-vertebra-of-a.png

drawandstrike

Reaction score
And again: which of these were discounts on a guy with looming free agency? Extensions are very different -- the guy isn't hitting the open market. And which of these were discounts?

-Romo got a MASSIVE contract.
-Smith was two years away from free agency and and got $98 mil extension
-Scandrick got $10 mil for added year
-Beasley was a third receiver at the time...got good money
-Heath...Crawford...Hanna aren't regarded as premium talents

Romo could've signed for FAR more money elsewhere. He did take a discount to stay in Dallas. I remember Mike Florio crying and whining loudly at PFT over Romo taking less money to stay with the Cowboys.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Spondylolysis (spon-dee-low-lye-sis) is defined as a defect or stress fracture in the pars interarticularis of the vertebral arch.

Spondylolysis is typically caused by a stress fracture of the bone, and is especially common in adolescents who over-train in activities. The pars interarticularis is vulnerable to fracture during spinal hyper-extension, especially when combined with rotation, or when experiencing a force during a landing. This stress fracture most commonly occurs where the concave lumbar spine transitions to the convex sacrum (L5-S1).

Lumbar spondylolysis, a unilateral or bilateral stress fracture of the narrow bridge between the upper and lower pars interarticularis, is a common cause of low back pain (LBP) in adolescent athletes. [1] The lifetime prevalence of LBP in those aged 11-17 years has been reported to be as high as 30.4% among adolescents participating in sports. [2] Although a variety of disorders are likely responsible for these cases, lumbar spondylolysis must be considered in the differential diagnosis of LBP in this population.

Lumbar spondylolysis is a radiographic finding that is believed to develop, in most cases, during early childhood. Typically, it is not associated with any clinical symptomatology of significance, except in a particular subset of patients who are young and adolescent athletes participating in sports that involve repetitive spinal motion, especially lumbar flexion/extension, and to a lesser degree, rotation.
Athletes who are involved in gymnastics, diving, weight lifting, wrestling, rowing, figure skating, dancing, volleyball, soccer, tennis, and football have been found to have a higher incidence of spondylolysis. [3] The pars interarticularis defect is believed by most authors to represent a fatigue fracture caused by repetitive loading and unloading of this region of the vertebrae from physical activity.

Tapper most likely has what is shown in the middle of the 3 images (Spondylolysis). If the break has not separated too much then it can heal with extended rest which can be helped by wearing a back brace. If it progresses to Spondylolisthesis, then it is a bigger problem and the entire disk can then slip out of place.

The 3rd image down shows a unilateral fracture.

The 4th image down shows a bi-lateral fracture.

The very last image show a Direct Pars Repair.

A00053F02.jpg

0311_16.jpg

lumbar_spondylolysis_cause01.jpg

slide_23.jpg

Lumbar-Pars-Defect.jpg

Direct-repair-using-the-direct-pars-screws-performed-in-5thlumbar-vertebra-of-a.png

He has the defect and not the fracture.

Last week, Tapper had a setback in his recovery from a fractured bone in his back. He has not practiced since the second week of training camp when he was diagnosed with a Pars Defect in his back, a stress fracture in the pars interarticularis of the lower lumbar vertebrae (L5).

It’s a fracture that he has had since childhood, but was not known until it was diagnosed in training camp.

He thought he was close to returning in Week 2 when he was running and cutting, but a setback led to another epidural shot.

Tapper admitted being frustrated, almost to the point of tears, while watching his teammates play without him.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports...rner-blog/article104624761.html#storylink=cpy

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I'll say it till I'm blue in the face -- and I know, I know -- with some it's not popular (and without being melodramatic, with others it is [popular]), we need a nice DE FA signing.

What we did in the past is not how we should be handling the present, given this extraordinary window we have, that really came out of nowhere. JPP, if he isn't resolute in staying in NY, should be a target.
Mario Addison.

T-RO

Reaction score
Claiborne was a free agent this past off-season and signed for 1-year, 3M.

That wasn't a home-town discount. That was Morris' "I-suck" discount. Before this year Claiborne has been a mess. Players have a handful of years to make money. They owe it to themselves and their family to maximize their profits and that's what they do.

The rare case where a guy might acquiesce to a "home-town" discount perhaps is a player near the end of his career who is settled into a community

T-RO

Reaction score
Romo could've signed for FAR more money elsewhere. He did take a discount to stay in Dallas. I remember Mike Florio crying and whining loudly at PFT over Romo taking less money to stay with the Cowboys.

Quite a discount...a 'mere' 108$ million extension for a guy who even then had a bad back.

And for the record here is what Florio said about the Romo contract:
"Romo had Jerry backed into a corner...Romo's career doesn't really justify the money"

That absolutely was no discount. Dan Patrick and Florio talk about how shocked they were at the money.

link: http://www.danpatrick.com/2013/04/01/mike-florio-breaks-down-tony-romos-new-contract/

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That wasn't a home-town discount. That was a "I-suck" discount. Before this year Claiborne has been a mess. Players have a handful of years to make money. They owe it to themselves and their family to maximize their profits and that's what they do.

The rare case where a guy might acquiesce to a "home-town" discount perhaps is a player near the end of his career who is settled into a community
I agree that quality free agents rarely if ever give "hometown" discounts per se; however, I think Claiborne could have gotten a similar contract from other teams but preferred to stay.

Tyron probably could have gotten more, especially more guaranteed money.

Frederick might have gotten more than 9M average on the open market.

In general however, any hometown discount is not going to be a big amount. A 12M per year player might sign for 11M, but he's not going to sign for 8M.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I agree that quality free agents rarely if ever give "hometown" discounts per se; however, I think Claiborne could have gotten a similar contract from other teams but preferred to stay.

Tyron probably could have gotten more, especially more guaranteed money.

Frederick might have gotten more than 9M average on the open market.

In general however, any hometown discount is not going to be a big amount. A 12M per year player might sign for 11M, but he's not going to sign for 8M.
Romo, TSmith, TFredrick and TCrawford all gave discounts........technically so did Lee

Derek Wolfe gave DEN a discount this year 4/36m

LocimusPrime

Reaction score

:hammer:

MSCowboyFan

Reaction score
I think people will be surprised to see us not draft DE early with five DEs 25 or under currently on our roster. I can see another DT and a starting caliber CB going in the first two rounds.

I dunno about that. Depends on Gregory's "suspension length" and Lawrence's health. Plus, that's a VERY deep and talented position in next year's draft. I think we end up taking one in the first 3 rounds but if not then a free agent for sure.

MSCowboyFan

Reaction score
Quite a discount...a 'mere' 108$ million extension for a guy who even then had a bad back.

And for the record here is what Florio said about the Romo contract:
"Romo had Jerry backed into a corner...Romo's career doesn't really justify the money"

That absolutely was no discount. Dan Patrick and Florio talk about how shocked they were at the money.

link: http://www.danpatrick.com/2013/04/01/mike-florio-breaks-down-tony-romos-new-contract/

As was I. Turned out it wasn't much of a "discount" at all. Hitting the lottery on Dak saved them. I still don't think they'll get a 1st rounder for Tony, but maybe a 2nd or 3rd. Contract will still be an issue unless he opts out, correct?