David Irving suspended 4 games

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
And again, if I somehow "knew" my talented player were going to be suspended, I would hope that my golden parachute was not a swap for a bust.

It is extremely rare that teams trade for busts and it just happens to be just the perfect change of scenery that makes it all click for the player.

The fact that Marinelli "liked" him does not impress me.

He "liked" Nick Hayden for three years.
You are right

We should have signed Suh as an insurance policy in case one of rotation guys misses 4 games

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
You are right

We should have signed Suh as an insurance policy in case one of rotation guys misses 4 games
No we should have signed Suh because he is a difference maker inside and not an untrustworthy player that does what he is told in our antiquated scheme.

Look, I get the desire to defend Marinelli and how we have botched the approach with the position, but let's just be intellectually honest and acknowledge what we have.

We had no "plan" for Irving being suspended any more than we "planned" for the inevitable Collins injury.

We do not and never have valued the position under his watch enough to address need nor prepare for the absence of two unreliable players.

That is organizational failure. Irving being stupid is just part of it.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
If you are going to release Dez Bryant which i'm neutral on by the way....you damn sure better have this headcase the hell out of here STAT.

USMarineVet

Reaction score
Exactly.

Dumb organization when it comes to DTs. Dumb organization that allows their DC to dictate how they approach DT acquisition.

Explain to me how the "organization" has any control over what a player does with his personal life. Please, elaborate on this.

I would love to draft or pick up a talented player that has all the tools; one of those including his head; but in the NFL it's not uncommon to grab up a guy on talent, and see where it goes. Hopefully, your staff is able to put some of that common sense brain juice into his head but a lot of these kids today don't realize the opportunities they have in front of them. Throw in the dude's going through a lot of personal stuff. I was going through the same crazy stuff at his age with kids and a couple stints overseas in bad areas that changed my life forever. The point is, we all have our thing and this guy has his going on now. I don't think he's a bad guy. He's just in a funk cause of the craziness of his situation and I'm not pointing any fingers as to who's right or wrong.

But how can you blame this on the organization or Marinelli? Come on, man.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So a 24 yr old from Compton got caught w weed in his system and he is some terrible problem -_-

But yea I’m pretty sure all the fans on here take no intoxicants, don’t speed, run stop signs or do anything illegal and make perfect decisions throughout life. Yea..sure..cast that first stone.

Foing something that is highly detrimental and continues to lose you multi millions of dollars would be a big issue. Not drafted due to character concerns, millions gone. Cant get the big contract he wants. Measley 2nd round tender instead of 10+ mil he could have earned.

dwreck27

Reaction score
So a 24 yr old from Compton got caught w weed in his system and he is some terrible problem -_-

But yea I’m pretty sure all the fans on here take no intoxicants, don’t speed, run stop signs or do anything illegal and make perfect decisions throughout life. Yea..sure..cast that first stone.

Cmon bro he has chosen his career in the Not For Long league

Dude only has 10 years to make all the money he can.. and he’s blowing half of that first 10 with this stuff

unsportsmanlikeconduct

Reaction score

I'm sure all the fans on here don't play professional football for a living and get drug tested as a condition of playing in the NFL. This has nothing to with speeding, stop signs or whatever excuse you want to give him.

Alexander

Reaction score
If you are going to release Dez Bryant which i'm neutral on by the way....you damn sure better have this headcase the hell out of here STAT.
Two totally different kinds of "headcases".

One was an immature child. The other clearly has more significant problems other than his own internal conflict with his ego and lack of intellect.

Alexander

Reaction score
Explain to me how the "organization" has any control over what a player does with his personal life. Please, elaborate on this.

They don't have direct control.

What they do have is the ability to recognize what kinds of personalities are under their own roof, day after day and be able to decide when they need to start doing risk analyses on players that show a lack of reliability.

This is just another one of those cases that we seem to have every year.

It is part of the entire optimistic part of our organizational mindset.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The fact they "liked" a player they likely had no shot at doesn't nearly suggest what you think it does.

The activity the team had at the position meant they liked the top talent, yet did not feel the position needed to be addressed unless of course that "special" player was there. They did not do a single thing to suggest they sought to protect themselves from untrustworthy players or even quite frankly, add to the talent base to begin with.

He went 7 picks ahead of us not a whole round. So you think that those 4th round DT would have been better than Price or even Ash? Cause that is what it boils down to they thought that Payne and Vea were better and the others not so much.

Also they brought in a DT in Ward. Irving is suspended not dead.

Alexander

Reaction score
He went 7 picks ahead of us not a whole round.

Seven spots in the first round is a pretty big gulf, it might as well be an entire round in terms of draft capital they would have had to give up.

They did not like him like him enough to make a move for him and that also ties into the value they place on the position.

So you think that those 4th round DT would have been better than Price or even Ash?

Yes. Ash and Price would not make a case to start on many NFL teams if they were on the street tomorrow.

But yet, in Dallas? They are suddenly better than a 4th round pick.

Cause that is what it boils down to they thought that Payne and Vea were better and the others not so much.

Also they brought in a DT in Ward. Irving is suspended not dead.

It means they decided unless the second damn coming of Warren Sapp was available, we can deal with it. Rod, go do that special thing everyone says you do but at the end of the day it really is not all that impressive but we pretend it is thing.

waving monkey

Reaction score
And again, if I somehow "knew" my talented player were going to be suspended, I would hope that my golden parachute was not a swap for a bust.

It is extremely rare that teams trade for busts and it just happens to be just the perfect change of scenery that makes it all click for the player.

The fact that Marinelli "liked" him does not impress me.

He "liked" Nick Hayden for three years.
I always smile at your dogberryisms.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Seven spots in the first round is a pretty big gulf, it might as well be an entire round in terms of draft capital they would have had to give up.

They did not like him like him enough to make a move for him and that also ties into the value they place on the position.

Yes. Ash and Price would not make a case to start on many NFL teams if they were on the street tomorrow.

But yet, in Dallas? They are suddenly better than a 4th round pick.

It means they decided unless the second damn coming of Warren Sapp was available, we can deal with it. Rod, go do that special thing everyone says you do but at the end of the day it really is not all that impressive but we pretend it is thing.

Payne was expected to be there. He wasn't. The take away here is that they value the position.

You don't get to speak for NFL teams and who they would or would not start. I disagree with you about 4th rounders being better than Price who has shown in NFL games he can anchor double teams and was developing the handwork to disengage on the pass rush.

Ash can sit on double teams and a 4th rounder is likely only a lateral move. That is unless you think 4th rounders have pass rush.

And nice hyperbole. Vea and Payne were flawed prospects and hardly HoF locks. Vea was raw and Payne underachieved. The takeaway is they were the only 1T that had pass rush upside. The inferior prospects in the 4th did not.

Marinelli ahs done a good job with Collins, Irving, DLaw, Taco, Price, and the DL. The DL did a great job last season dictating the los. That was why the LB run fill screwups were so troubling because the DL was doing its job.

But hey you grandstand on the importance of the read and react run stopping position on the line like it is 1980.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I’d cut him after the suspension. Accepting this crap pollutes the team culture. Same for Gregory. The players that can go without smoking weed while they are making millions have to resent the s out of these guys.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Come now! This does not help. Irving was going to be our starting 3 technique at DT. If he had his head on straight he had the potential to dominate. Non of these other backup 3 techniques have the ability to dominate. Irving’s suspension has almost no effect on Armstrong’s reps at DE.

Fair enough, dear boy. I still think we'll be alright though. If Collins can at least manage to stay healthy through the suspension, I think that will help mitigate the loss of Irving.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I'm sure all the fans on here don't play professional football for a living and get drug tested as a condition of playing in the NFL. This has nothing to with speeding, stop signs or whatever excuse you want to give him.
At my job I can be drug tested at any time. I don't even make close to what these guys are and it was such an easy choice for me.

I agree with you that comparing running stop signs and what not is silly

JBond

Reaction score
Come on guys.....

Clearly his ex girlfriend spiked his protein powder with Weed to cause him to get suspended and lose custody of his daughter.

Open your eyes. He didn’t do anything wrong....

Geez..
Weed? Die hard conservative here. The NFL will create a new policy soon.

Alexander

Reaction score
Payne was expected to be there. He wasn't. The take away here is that they value the position.
No, the position is valued when they think they have an elite talent. That is a cop out and a very easy way to explain why you never address a position.

Well, hey, gosh darn our bad luck, the rest of the league took 'em right in front of us.

If it were truly valued and they loved Vea or Payne or whatever, they might have grown a pair and moved up.

But they didn't. And all we are left with here are fans like you pretending things are different.

You don't get to speak for NFL teams and who they would or would not start.

Earth. Shattering. Guess what, neither do you.

I disagree with you about 4th rounders being better than Price who has shown in NFL games he can anchor double teams and was developing the handwork to disengage on the pass rush.

Hey, Nick Hayden. Been there, done that. Thanks Rod. You genius you.

Ash can sit on double teams and a 4th rounder is likely only a lateral move. That is unless you think 4th rounders have pass rush.

They can. I can tell you with supreme confidence that players like Maurice Hurst, Andrew Brown and Tim Settle will have a better pro career than the likes of Dick Ash. Care to make a bet?

And nice hyperbole. Vea and Payne were flawed prospects and hardly HoF locks. Vea was raw and Payne underachieved. The takeaway is they were the only 1T that had pass rush upside. The inferior prospects in the 4th did not.

Each and every year, players that are "inferior" outpace those chosen in front of them.

This just plays right into something I have been saying for a very very long time.

Marinelli is so overrated it is sickening. He loves to take inferior talent, make it average and then reap the rewards of what occurs. If I were him, in the twilight of my career, I would get of the chicken soup from chicken feathers business and demand real talent.

Look at Wade Phillips. He is way too old for this nonsense. He can coach up talent and they still got him studs to play with.

We allow his idiosyncrasies to affect what talent we look at.

Marinelli really needs a special talent on his line to actually do his job effectively enough to field a sustainable playoff team.

Last edited: