David Irving suspended 4 games

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Was it a miss test or tests?

According to Rappaport it was tests (plural.) Whether he reported it accurately or not, who knows, although it would seem the suspension might be more severe if it were more than one. In any case, Irving screwed up by not adhering to the mandated drug policy. Not a smart move, whatever the case may be. At some point, he'll either have to change his ways or change his profession. Sure, the FO could release him but I'm betting they won't. It's their call.

Last edited:

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Which is even worse than testing for a banned substance when it comes to future contracts because teams simply will not see him as being at all reliable.

I bet there are several teams that wouldn't take him period.
Understand but if he missed it while going to California to find his daughter who was illegally abducted I’m giving him a pass. Now I still think he is a bonehead but family comes first and he gets a pass with me.

Pants

Reaction score
to Irving:
e6aad586e1df7f44037cec489fa7896a.image.354x352.jpg

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Irving was about our only efficient interior rusher. Ask any QB what they hate more than a rusher up the middle.

Collins has some ability to rush up the middle as does Crawford.

Irving is a very disruptive force.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Just so you guys know he has been involved in a custody battle for his kid which led to him missing these tests

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Irving is another player you can't trust or count on, time to cut him and move on!

IF you have someone better then you cut him.

If not then you hold your nose and put up with it.

He salary while suspended doesn't count against the cap so the Cowboys are not out anything.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't care the circumstances. How about quit using drugs to handle life. Man up and quit taking your little numnums over your career.

This suspension did not (supposedly) have to do with drug use, but with missed drug tests.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Just so you guys know he has been involved in a custody battle for his kid which led to him missing these tests

Sure. But I expect he's supposed to notify the league that he can't make a mandated test in those situations.

Maybe he did and the league thought there was no legit reason why he couldn't be available. Simply being involved in a custody battle does not make you unable to do anything else

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
According to Rappaport it was tests (plural.) Whether he reported it accurately or not, who knows, although it would seem the suspension might be more severe if it were more than one. In any case, Irving screwed up by not adhering to the mandated drug policy. Not a smart move, whatever the case may be. At some point, he'll either have to change his ways or change his profession. Sure, the FO could release him but I'm betting they won't. It's their call.
If it were due to missed tests, here is the punishment:

1st offense - up to $25k fine
2nd offense - fine of 2/17ths of paragraph 5 of amount in the players contract
3rd offense - 4 game suspension without pay.

Dude is aware of when he needs to get tested. There is no excuse not to take the time to pee in a cup.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure. But I expect he's supposed to notify the league that he can't make a mandated test in those situations.

Maybe he did and the league thought there was no legit reason why he couldn't be available. Simply being involved in a custody battle does not make you unable to do anything else

For some people, it's a "Get out of Life Free" card.

get-out-of-jail-free-card.jpg