Draft Day ***Day 2 Draft Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Great, they’ve picked some really good players.

But how have they done in building a “team” that has won something?
well they have won some div titles !! then JG says give those hats away we have higher goals ! lol then they lose in div round.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
6 interior OL doesn’t make much sense. So either someone or some people are going or TFred is a long shot to be back.

Like if Collins gets moved tomorrow for a 4th or 5th round pick, then I start to see the logic.

I like McGovern as a player. I just don’t see where he fits with all the interior guys they have.

I could see a trade for Collins happening. I wonder if we do a Collins for safety player swap.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Conner McGovern will be starting where exactly?

My guess, after having a bit to digest and unpack everything, is that the plan is to move Williams to RT and have McGovern to LG. Let's face it, Williams is a better Tackle (his position at Texas), and LG was a bit of a mess. Im bothered that the pick is not a safety, but Williams at RT and McGovern at LG does make sense I suppose. Besides, the safety I really want is still on the board. If we can get Marvel Tell or a similar safety, then I think this draft can become very solid. I don't mind us building the trenches. I just didn't like how we haven't addressed safety yet. Like I said, the safety I want is still on the board. We shall see.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Where is Looney starting? You counting on Frederick not being able to play?

And you could have taken a guy like Hooker who likely would play a lot more at S than McGovern might play as a backup OG.

How much more do we need to invest in the OL?

Teams have built better and deeper OLs with less resources than we have poured into the position.

Looney may not be starting. I'm not thrilled by this pick, but I think I can understand the logic. I think Williams will be moved to RT where he belongs and McGovern will become our new LG. Collins or Looney, imo, should be traded tomorrow for either a 4 or a player. The latter backs up McGovern until the contract expires. That's how I'd approach this now. Maybe we make a player trade for a safety. Surely, there is a team in need of a guard that has a very good safety to trade.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Great, they’ve picked some really good players.

But how have they done in building a “team” that has won something?

Their record speaks for itself. I won't defend it, but your question covers a much more encompassing topic than solely picking people in the draft. If you think about it honestly, then you'll know that.

I do find it amusing that every year this board goes through the same BS just after the draft. Guys who don't know their head from their a$$es start whining because the guy(s) they had their hearts set on don't get picked.

Its funny to watch how the dynamic forms and picks up speed. Somebody thinks: "Player X isn't that good and we need to get better at that position. Then they watch a few highlight videos on Youtube and listen to the draft "experts" tell them about who the best prospects are at that position in the draft. After that, they start posting about how the guy they watched on tape and the "experts" told them was good can be the guy to replace Player X. Nobody knows for sure whether or not the Cowboys (or any other NFL team for that matter) think any of the named prospects can play well or even play at the pro level, but that doesn't matter because, A) the poster watched a highlight video, B) everybody else thinks they're good, and C) what does the Cowboys staff know anyways?

It only takes a few posters to agree and a collectivist mentality swallows up the board, and people start thinking that "by God, the Cowboys better replace Player X with one of the kids we think they should pick or else the Cowboys suck!"..... like they know the first thing about scouting, player evaluation/projection and what's going on inside the team's private meetings when they evaluate their current personnel and develop their plan to build their roster moving forward.

If everybody here is so good, then I guess the Cowboys should just fire their staff and read this board to get all the insight they need. They'd save themselves a whole boatload of time and money.... and we all know how much Jerry loves money.

The Cowboys screw up plenty, but so does every other team in the league. Listening to the drama queens ***** and moan every year gets tiresome.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Jerry Jones didn’t mind telling reporters after the press conference that Virginia safety Juan Thornhill was the other player the Cowboys were coveting before the Trysten Hill pick. “He fit. We liked him. He really fit (our scheme),” Jones said. “We were ready to go with him. But we took our preference.” link
Turn the knife, Jerry, turn the knife.

You sadist.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Where’s Williams going?

Or are we already calling him a bust.

You know after letting this sink in...it sorta makes sense. And I can see it. I think this pick confirms they made a mistake moving Conner to guard...and maybe his best postion is swing tackle. So..they needed somebody. Is Connor McGovern OL/C Penn St. worth a 3rd??? that's the million dollar question we will find out in camp.

But @ this point...I'm ok w/ it as long as this means Conner Williams is out of the lineup. Guy killed us in the trenches last year.:rolleyes:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
My guess, after having a bit to digest and unpack everything, is that the plan is to move Williams to RT and have McGovern to LG. Let's face it, Williams is a better Tackle (his position at Texas), and LG was a bit of a mess. Im bothered that the pick is not a safety, but Williams at RT and McGovern at LG does make sense I suppose. Besides, the safety I really want is still on the board. If we can get Marvel Tell or a similar safety, then I think this draft can become very solid. I don't mind us building the trenches. I just didn't like how we haven't addressed safety yet. Like I said, the safety I want is still on the board. We shall see.
That safety is Gardner-Johnson......the draft would be such a success if we draft him

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
You know after letting this sink in...it sorta makes sense. And I can see it. I think this pick confirms they made a mistake moving Conner to guard...and maybe his best postion is swing tackle. So..they needed somebody. Is Connor McGovern OL/C Penn St. worth a 3rd??? that's the million dollar question we will find out in camp.

But @ this point...I'm ok w/ it as long as this means Conner Williams is out of the lineup. Guy killed us in the trenches last year.:rolleyes:
I'm higher on Williams then you but his best position is RT. You really nailed it in this comment though. Great job.......now we just need to get you on board with Dak haha

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Turn the knife, Jerry, turn the knife.

You sadist.

You can't tell me Broaddus didn't have some influence here....that's all he's spouted off ....all week. Hill @ 2/58...if you have to.

I'm sitting here looking who's left...there are a ton of DTs left. Hill would have made it to 3/90.

Gerald Willis NT Miami
Daylon Mack NT Texas A&M

Kingsley Keke DL Texas A&M
Demarcus Christmas DT Florida St.
Renell Wren NT/DE5 Arizona St.
Terry Beckner DT Missouri

Michael Dogbe DT Temple

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the Cowboys showed real foresight making the McGovern pick in an effort to keep their team strength in fine shape going forward. It won't be a popular pick because he won't get on the field right away but that was smart, IMO.

That first pick I can't defend. Ya know what's the most damning about it? The fact that some bimbo like Jane Slater knew what we were going to do hours before we did it. What the hell is going on in that war room? That just can't happen.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love this approach, build the lines....win championships. You build a solid OL and Zeke can be traded for huge a ransom. You build a solid DL and everybody behind it becomes a all pro.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1(27) Amari Cooper WR Oakland Raiders
2(58) Trysten Hill DT UCF
3(90) Connor McGovern G Penn St.

Grade it.

starfan1

Reaction score
I thought Connor played well the second half of last season at guard so I’m not sure why they made this pick but I’m not at all upset with it

I think Collins is our weakest link on the line and I also am deeply concerned at LT with his health and we don’t know Travis and his recovery so I considered OL a huge need . I felt like it would have been more prudent to take a bookend rather than interior but I’m ok with the pick and I think it will play out rationally in the future

I’m not a fan of drafting for need I’d rather go BPA . We could use upgrades in athleticism or skill level if you will in our secondary so it will be interesting to see what happens today.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
1(27) Amari Cooper WR Oakland Raiders
2(58) Trysten Hill DT UCF
3(90) Connor McGovern G Penn St.

Grade it.

I'll give it an A. (But I'm fine if anyone wants to give it an F: these grades are worthless before two of the guys have even set foot on an NFL field.)

Amari was a home run, even though he'll cost much more in cap space than any 2019 first round pick.

Trysten Hill is what this team does in the 2nd round. They look for a guy with 1st round talent and huge upside but questions. Often the questions surround the player's health (Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, Jaylon Smith). In this case, the questions surround his production (the 'character' concerns seem way overblown). But everyone seems to agree that he has elite explosion and a non-stop motor. His lack of finish seems to be down to some issues with technique. That's something you'd expect Marinelli to be able to help him with.

McGovern was apparently BPA on the team's board by a long-shot (as well as a consensus value pick) and fills a low-key need going forward, given that Collins will almost surely be allowed to walk.

(Now they just need to go get that safety all the crybabies on this board are pining for -- maybe Hooker -- and a backup RB so I can give them a meaningless A+)

Status
Not open for further replies.