DC.COM Blog: LB Justin Rogers moving inside

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SMU's Rogers Moving Inside

Posted by jellis at 7/25/2008 8:41 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

Second-year pro Justin Rogers seems to be a quick study. After playing defensive end at SMU, he transitioned to outside linebacker with New England last summer before arriving in Dallas, a victim of the Patriots' final cuts.

Now the Cowboys are trying Rogers at inside linebacker. Friday he worked with the second team linebackers, backing up Bradie James - additionally Rogers is a valuable commodity on special teams, contributing on multiple units last season.

"We wanted to utilize his versatility," coach Wade Phillips said. "For a guy to play defensive end in college, he's really come a long way, and there's not anybody directly behind Bradie that has been on our team, we thought he would be a good fit in there."

And it's not unlike the Cowboys, or any other team, to move young players around - particularly important special teamers - to find more roles for them.

"We've got time in camp where we're trying to get our best 22 on the field," linebackers coach Reggie Herring said. "Justin's a good team player and a great effort guy and he's very valuable special teams-wise. He's done a good job at OLB but we're trying to make some moves around, somewhat of an experiment to see how he'll respond inside. It's a major transition for guys who have never played inside. If you have instincts and you're a football player, you can learn it."

Kevin Burnett ran with the second team at the other inside linebacker position, backing up Zach Thomas, while Bobby Carpenter filled that slot with the third group.

Comments (0) | Permanent Link

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
It's pretty damn close to being official bust time for Carpenter.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
theogt;2159231 said:

and there ladies and gentleman is the next crisis that will dominate the airwaves.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;2159231 said:

I took to mean that Rogers isn't worth a crap at OLB...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
theebs;2159236 said:
and there ladies and gentleman is the next crisis that will dominate the airwaves.
He should definitely be on the hot seat this year -- coaches, media, and fans. It's put up time.

BBQ101

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2159224 said:
"We wanted to utilize his versatility," coach Wade Phillips said. "For a guy to play defensive end in college, he's really come a long way, and there's not anybody directly behind Bradie that has been on our team, we thought he would be a good fit in there."

MichaelWinicki;2159241 said:

I think that might be what theogt was refering too...

BBQ

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
theogt;2159248 said:
He should definitely be on the hot seat this year. It's put up time.

no doubt.

another performance like the one he put on in the preseason in minnesota last year and he will be in miami.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I thought Carp was backing up Zach?

I think you guys are reading to much into this.

Sounds like they are just trying to find a job for a smart football player.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki;2159241 said:
So did I.

Then I figured this was going to probably end up as another Carp bashing thread.

BBQ101

Reaction score
theogt;2159231 said:

Third year right? And he was never injured, so can't use that...I hope he comes through. Buy, you can't hit on em all.

BBQ

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
zrinkill;2159253 said:
I thought Carp was backing up Zach?

I think you guys are reading to much into this.

Sounds like they are just trying to find a job for a smart football player.
FYI

WoodysGirl;2159224 said:
Kevin Burnett ran with the second team at the other inside linebacker position, backing up Zach Thomas, while Bobby Carpenter filled that slot with the third group.
I assumed Bobby would run 2nd team behind Zach and Burnett would run 1st team dime package.

He's not backing up either LB spot. He's only getting 3rd team reps. That's clearly subject to change, but it's not a good sign.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
BBQ101;2159262 said:
Third year right? And he was never injured, so can't use that...I hope he comes through. Buy, you can't hit on em all.

BBQ

He was injured. He suffered a quad injury during preseason last year.

That doesn't excuse him from not making an impact this year. If he can't beat out Burnett, then theo is right....bust time.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On a side note, maybe it says something about Erik Walden that he's forced a position change after only some OTAs and one TC practice.

As for Carp, still early. So we'll see.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;2159231 said:

Holy pozole. If #1 Carpenter fan says it is true....

What's next AdamJT saying RW is done?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
abersonc;2159275 said:
Holy pozole. If #1 Carpenter fan says it is true....

What's next AdamJT saying RW is done?
Dude, I was furious that we drafted him -- argued forever that he couldn't cut it as a 3-4 OLB.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
theogt;2159270 said:
FYI

I assumed Bobby would run 2nd team behind Zach and Burnett would run 1st team dime package.

He's not backing up either LB spot. He's only getting 3rd team reps. That's clearly subject to change, but it's not a good sign.

Well my bad then ...... that is not good.

BBQ101

Reaction score
tomson75;2159272 said:
He was injured. He suffered a quad injury during preseason last year.

That doesn't excuse him from not making an impact this year. If he can't beat out Burnett, then theo is right....bust time.

Did he even miss anytime? When I say he wasn't injured, I mean he didn't miss any significant time...This is his third full year...If he can't get on the field this year beyond special teams, I would say it's over.

BBQ

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;2159277 said:
Dude, I was furious that we drafted him -- argued forever that he couldn't cut it as a 3-4 OLB.

but you've also talked at length about how he was going to turn it around this year.... and last year....

but to be fair, I was fine with drafting him -- I liked Cromartie more but saw him as a HUGE risk.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
abersonc;2159290 said:
but you've also talked at length about how he was going to turn it around this year.... and last year....

but to be fair, I was fine with drafting him -- I liked Cromartie more but saw him as a HUGE risk.
All I've ever said is that he has the athletic ability to be good at 3-4 ILB. He's much too timid, however, and doesn't seem to get over that unless he has extensive playing time, which he won't ever get since he's too timid.

Cromartie was entirely too risky. It should be interesting to see how Manny Lawson does this year.