News: DC: Mailbag: Grading The QBs Other Than Wentz? Best Player Available?

NewsBot

Reaction score
Mailbag: Grading The QBs Other Than Wentz? Best Player Available?
Thursday, January 28, 2016 7:30 AM CST

JUSTIN OSWALT
FARR WEST, UT
Everyone is excited to see how Carson Wentz performs at the Senior Bowl practices, but what about the other QBs on that roster? What are you seeing from guys like Kevin Hogan and Cody Kessler? Any of these Senior Bowl QBs, not named Wentz, you think the Cowboys might covet?

Bryan: They are looking at all of these quarterbacks and for the most part it has been a struggle. In my opinion Jeff Driskel has been the best of the guys not named Wentz. I wouldn't be surprised if Hogan is a gamer and will be better on Saturday for the game.

David: I’ve got to echo Bryan and say that Driskel has impressed the most of the “other” quarterbacks. He’s got a surprisingly strong arm and a calmness about him. I’m still intrigued by Jacoby Brissett, though. He hasn’t been outstanding this week, but his size, arm and athleticism all combine to make him an interesting prospect.

MATT COLBERT
WASHINGTON D.C.
We always hear that the Cowboys should select the highest ranked player on their board regardless of position. My question is: Do the Cowboys factor in the position when they rank their board? A defensive lineman might be ranked higher than a running back even if the running back is slightly more talented with a little more upside?

Bryan: The way they set their board is not on need but on the best player. They have what is called the stack -- where they have it lined up from player 1 to 150 in order of how they would select them. By doing it this way, there is no question in who they like better and that eliminates any potential problems.

David: I trust Bryant on this, but it does make me wonder. For instance, let’s say Ezekiel Elliott is their best-rated player when the Cowboys pick at No. 4, would they take him? Or do they simply not value running back that highly? Same goes for Austin Johnson. He’s a fantastic defensive tackle, but would the No. 34 pick be too high for his position? You should obviously take the best player available, but I wonder if analytics and economics play a role in that decision-making process.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
there is a flaw in bpa, you have to factor in need to the equation.

For example if the best player was a center would we take a center? Same for left tackle.
I think another factor is what position do they need most as a top pick??
And what do they need now or this coming season the most ?
What player would have the most impact right now?

I think QB,RB, and DT would be the top 3 for biggest impact now, with RB really having the biggest impact, if they got
a big back who was really good.
Combine him with McF and dunbar, and they would have the offense they need.

I dont think they would pick a big heavy DT that many would want, and the QB is no impact now, unless Romo goes down again.
And even if they got a QB they would not have the power run game they need.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
BPA is the way to go -- forcing a pick based solely upon need is a mistake that has led this franchise to take faulty paths many a time in the past.

We should be smart enough to implement our agenda wisely. I think acquiring the best talent in areas of need qualifies as the best way to go.

Last edited:

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
The stars align when need and BPA match.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
If anyone thinks that we're a QB or RB from winning the SB......they haven't watched our D NOT stop better teams the last few YEARS.
A QB isn't going to stop the juggernaut Panther O this year..... Or how our D couldn't stop a completely hobbled Rogers last year, even with Romo & Murray!

MrPeanutbutter

What is this, a crossover episode?
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If anyone thinks that we're a QB or RB from winning the SB......they haven't watched our D NOT stop better teams the last few YEARS.
A QB isn't going to stop the juggernaut Panther O this year..... Or how our D couldn't stop a completely hobbled Rogers last year, even with Romo & Murray!

You're mostly correct. If the BPA at 4 is a defensive player (it will be, FYI), take him. If the BPA at 4 is an offensive player (unlikely in this draft), take him.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
there is a flaw in bpa, you have to factor in need to the equation.

For example if the best player was a center would we take a center? Same for left tackle.
I think another factor is what position do they need most as a top pick??
And what do they need now or this coming season the most ?
What player would have the most impact right now?

I think QB,RB, and DT would be the top 3 for biggest impact now, with RB really having the biggest impact, if they got
a big back who was really good.
Combine him with McF and dunbar, and they would have the offense they need.

I dont think they would pick a big heavy DT that many would want, and the QB is no impact now, unless Romo goes down again.
And even if they got a QB they would not have the power run game they need.

usually there are 5-6 blu chip players in every draft....no different this year. so you can't go wrong taking anyof them that would fit a need (CB, safety, RT, QB, WR, RB) and make a case for it...

bodi

Reaction score

people realize that - but would it hurt to draft a top flight QB? plus we are drafting high in each round

considering Romo's age an injury history

2 Austin Johnson, DT, 6-4 #325 Penn State

3 Jonathan Williams, RB, 5-11 #220 Ark

4 Miles Killebrew, SS, 6-2 #220 Southern Utah

strong up the middle

and we went 12 - 4 last year with that lousy D

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
people realize that - but would it hurt to draft a top flight QB? plus we are drafting high in each round

considering Romo's age an injury history

2 Austin Johnson, DT, 6-4 #325 Penn State

3 Jonathan Williams, RB, 5-11 #220 Ark

4 Miles Killebrew, SS, 6-2 #220 Southern Utah

strong up the middle

and we went 12 - 4 last year with that lousy D

It's a tired argument...... We are not winning a SB unless the D gets upgraded

I willing to state.... Quite FACTLY that even with a healthy #9 #88 we AREN'T playing this weekend with our D that was fielded this year

Your 12-4 D lost in the divisional to a one legged QB..... With a #9 playing his best ever & a healthy running game with #88

Last edited:

stilltheguru88

Reaction score

I willing to state.... Quite FACTLY that even with a healthy #9 #88 we AREN'T playing this weekend with our D that was fielded this year

Your 12-4 D lost in the divisional to a one legged QB..... With a #9 playing his best ever & a healthy running game with #88

They dont hear you.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
BPA is the way to go -- forcing a pick based solely upon need is a mistake that has led this franchise to take faulty paths many a time in the past.

We should be smart enough to implement our agenda wisely. I think acquiring the best talent in areas of need qualifies as the best way to go.

BPA sounds real good but has flaws. Many talk about BPA like its the greatest and right way to go every time. I went to the fanspeak site and tried their draft simulator taking the BPA at our pick. Here's how it turned out.

Rd. 1 OT Tunsil
Rd. 2 OLB Jaylen Smith
Rd. 3 C Nick Martin
RD. 4 K (can't recall his name)

How happy would we be with that draft?

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score

I've said it before, you can draft all defense in the next two drafts, but if Romo goes down, you don't win many games. Defense was not the problem last year. The same defense, playing with a lead most of the time would have looked much different.

Iago33

Reaction score

True. I grant that, but one pick, even as high as 4 isn't going to transform our D into a Superbowl winning D. It's a much larger process, so we shouldn't rule out an O player at 4.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
I've said it before, you can draft all defense in the next two drafts, but if Romo goes down, you don't win many games. Defense was not the problem last year. The same defense, playing with a lead most of the time would have looked much different.

Huh? obviously Carr is a better defender with the lead? Let's not forget how we tackled with lead either....did you forget about Lambeau last year?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
BPA sounds real good but has flaws. Many talk about BPA like its the greatest and right way to go every time. I went to the fanspeak site and tried their draft simulator taking the BPA at our pick. Here's how it turned out.

Rd. 1 OT Tunsil
Rd. 2 OLB Jaylen Smith
Rd. 3 C Nick Martin
RD. 4 K (can't recall his name)

How happy would we be with that draft?

Agreed but note that I qualified strict BPA with the stipulation that it be implemented in terms of BPA in the areas of greatest need. I'm sure there's a significant difference there in that respect.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
For all those who are starry-eyed over Wentz, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider the teams that he and his Dakotans faced.
Now, compare that junior varsity schedule to the teams that Jarred Goff of California faced in the PAC 10.
Playing in the big time makes a BIG DIFFERENCE, blokes!

Last edited: