Video: DC: Tarell Basham: I've Done Enough Losing In My Past

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I like the fact that he's, evidently, bought into what the defensive coaches are conveying to him. Hopefully, it means that he's quite intent upon improving. That's always an ideal attitude for a young DE to embrace, especially if it leads to future success. I think the Jets are a stagnant team and truly hope the Cowboys are a team on the rise. We'll soon find out more about that. I predicted long ago that Dan Quinn would win over the players in a big way. That wish seems to have been granted. ;)

Last edited:

Carson

Reaction score
I like the fact that he's, evidently, bought into what the defensive coaches are conveying to him. Hopefully, it means that he's highly intent upon improving. That's always a good attitude for a young DE to embrace, especially if it leads to his future success.
Always liked Basham dating back to his college days. Kid just has the non stop motor you want. Him and Urban should help make this defensive front much better.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Seems like a very likeable CONFIDENT player. It's said that he has a GREAT motor, that way we know he won't give up on plays. I like players like this!! What kind of impact do you think he'll have this season?? I think he and Gregory can combine for 10+ sacks

Give me your thoughts

I have a great feeling about Basham. I think he will be a free agent addition that we will view as a hit. Call it optimism, call it a gut feeling, call it crazy, but I think that he'll have 6 sacks this season.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Likely new coaches and new scheme. They want to bring in new guys and possibly didn’t see him as a good fit with Saleh.

The old adage, out with the old and in with the new
Ahh right.

I was thinking the FO was the same. Forgot the changes.

Still, Basham is a backup type. All fine since that's what they are asking him to do.

Carson

Reaction score
I have a great feeling about Basham. I think he will be a free agent addition that we will view as a hit. Call it optimism, call it a gut feeling, call it crazy, but I think that he'll have 6 sacks this season.
He should be able to dominate. Lawrence and Gregory will be wearing the offense down outside. He should be able to come in fresh and get to the QB

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fine for depth, no complaints there....but I also expect to notice when Gregory isn't in the game.

I would ask why the Jets, who had all the cap room imaginable, and have no pass rush to speak of....didn't bring him back.

They must have been offering much less.

Basham is the one FA that wasnt paid peanuts.....he got peanuts and a soda.
His mention of "spent enough time losing" might be a clue as to why he's not there. If I am making a list of places I wouldn't want to play on a habitually terrible team, NYC would top that list. And not every player buys in on a new coach.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

Then we won't be able to resign him

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He should be able to dominate. Lawrence and Gregory will be wearing the offense down outside. He should be able to come in fresh and get to the QB

I think he’ll get his opportunities in the rotation. From what I’m hearing and reading, I’m expecting a lot of substitution and situational players rotating on and off the field.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

I think it's a reasonable expectation, in light of the idea he may be working on a rotational basis with Randy Gregory. It's a nice thought.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fine for depth, no complaints there....but I also expect to notice when Gregory isn't in the game.

I would ask why the Jets, who had all the cap room imaginable, and have no pass rush to speak of....didn't bring him back.

They must have been offering much less.

Basham is the one FA that wasnt paid peanuts.....he got peanuts and a soda.
Likely new coaches and new scheme. They want to bring in new guys and possibly didn’t see him as a good fit with Saleh.

The old adage, out with the old and in with the new

Also, Falls into the area they like him would prefer to keep him. But let him test the market, see what happens. Like we do with some of our own players. as all teams do.

quickccc

Reaction score
Always liked Basham dating back to his college days. Kid just has the non stop motor you want. Him and Urban should help make this defensive front much better.

With all due respect, there are a number of players with non-stop motor, that's fine and good, but i'd like to see what his play ability on a consistent basis is like.
I don't expect Basham to be a starter. (that's what i expect from Gregory)

i don't expect that kind of ability and impact from him in that role, but in a rotational role, i'd be interested to see what he is made of as a pass rusher first, and his overall game as a run defender too.
Is he George Selvie like ?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I call it Quinnergy, the feeling that the addition of Quinn has brought new hope from the fans and new energy to the defense.

I may be off but part of my optimism about an improved defense is that I think Quinn's hands are all over the additions to it. I think the weakness of the HC and management has been the defense since they fired Wade. They need a guide, someone who knows what a good defense looks like.

I am also giving Quinn a break that as the HC of a ride the offense and stars team, his forte, defense, was not his primary focus and with this team, that's his sole responsibility. I know when my focus is on just the steak and not everything that goes with it, I get a better steak.

That is an applicable analogy to me. When I had my wife, all I had to do was tend to the steaks or whatever my responsibility for the meal was. When I lost her and it all fell to me, the steak was not as good. That old saying "too many cooks in the kitchen" can be reverse applied to "too many pots for one cook to watch". I think that affected Quinn just as it did Wade.

Beaker42

Reaction score
That was the plan for Dorance and he couldn’t get to the QB if no one was in front of him. Had high hopes for him coming out of KSU but he never got there.

Sydla

Reaction score
I am curious to see how Quinn uses a guy like Basham.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Non stop motor is good but he needs to get somewhere with it. Nick Hayden had a non stop motor but didn't get anywhere.

Guys with those motors need help in the form of relief through rotation. Jay Ratliff had a non stop a motor as much any DL we've had but they couldn't get him enough relief and his motor would run down.

I can see the beginning of something on this DL that I like that reminds me of the early 90's DL. It wasn't the starting 4, it was the rotation and the ability to keep fresh legs to use against the OL and QB.

Basham is a good addition to that DL as Neal is to the LB's.

The Cowboys were awful against the run, I do see improvement with the rotations in the front 7 they can do. My concern is that secondary and they look awfully thin back there to me, can't have injuries to the secondary.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
And mind you....had Zeke not been suspended probably would’ve won more in 2017 too....

I agree the team would have won more in 2017 had Elliott not gotten suspended to go along with division titles in 2014, 2016, and 2018.

So, would you agree the GM and front office put together some good, talented teams which were capable of competing for a championship from 2014-2020?