Video: DC: Tarell Basham: I've Done Enough Losing In My Past

quickccc

Reaction score
I think it's a reasonable expectation, in light of the idea he may be working on a rotational basis with Randy Gregory. It's a nice thought.

maybe i'm getting ahead of myself, but i would think this organization has more expectations for Gregory, than just a rotational role.

i would think they envision Gregory as a Robert Quinn like impact as a pass rusher but with far more run stuffing ability on the edge than what Quinn presented.
Randy isn't on DLaw's ability as a pure run defender, but he's no slouch either.
And i do recall hearing reports that management was quite miffed with the previous coaching staff how Randy was being severely limited and

i'd like Basham and Anae to be able to provide enough quality backup/rotational depth performance to where Gregory isn't exposed to be burnt out and worn down from having to be forced to
play excessive amount of snaps and reps, because we had very little to rely on off the bench.

Reactions: BAT

Carson

Reaction score
Non stop motor is good but he needs to get somewhere with it. Nick Hayden had a non stop motor but didn't get anywhere.

Guys with those motors need help in the form of relief through rotation. Jay Ratliff had a non stop a motor as much any DL we've had but they couldn't get him enough relief and his motor would run down.

I can see the beginning of something on this DL that I like that reminds me of the early 90's DL. It wasn't the starting 4, it was the rotation and the ability to keep fresh legs to use against the OL and QB.

Basham is a good addition to that DL as Neal is to the LB's.

The Cowboys were awful against the run, I do see improvement with the rotations in the front 7 they can do. My concern is that secondary and they look awfully thin back there to me, can't have injuries to the secondary.
He had 13 QB hits last season alone. The way the defense played last season he might as we be Lawrence Taylor lol

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The book on Basham is he's an effort all-out hustle guy that is good vs run and creates a decent amount of QB pressures but not talented enough to close the deal. As someone mentioned, this is ok for a backup. There is also a belief he may perform better in a 3 point stance opposed to standing up on the edge, which he did in NYJ.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The book on Basham is he's an effort all-out hustle guy that is good vs run and creates a decent amount of QB pressures but not talented enough to close the deal. As someone mentioned, this is ok for a backup. There is also a belief he may perform better in a 3 point stance opposed to standing up on the edge, which he did in NYJ.

Pressure on the quarterback is good, regardless of whether or not he can "close the deal"...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree the team would have won more in 2017 had Elliott not gotten suspended to go along with division titles in 2014, 2016, and 2018.

So, would you agree the GM and front office put together some good, talented teams which were capable of competing for a championship from 2014-2020?
I don't think so......

And I say that because I think the NFL there's a way to make teams without having great talent. We saw it with Parcells here in Dallas. There was nothing impressive about having Troy Hambrick and Quincy Carter as your starting RB/QB duo...

And I think we also see it year in and out that teams with inferior talent to the Cowboys seem to have more success than us.

But no matter how much talent they had it couldn't mask the fact that we were top heavy and lacked depth...which means we couldn't afford to have injuries which means we need Jason Garrett to get more out of the talent than they had to offer. That was not Garrett. He just was not capable of getting more out of his team than mediocrity despite having some very good players.

quickccc

Reaction score
In his defense he is only 23 years old...seems like this should be the year to know what the Cowboys have in him.

Good luck with that.

Usually by this time of his healthy 3 year career, with the experienced games and rotational reps he's been getting that you'd see something, ..some kind of mere flash,
or bright spot or impressive ability and potential, but all there has been is special teams work.

Usually with a guy with average athleticism and physical tools, he has to have impressive amount of advanced techniques to stand out and become more of a significant player.
But Armstrong apparently doesn't have it in his ability. It's looking like what you see now is always what you're gonna get. JAG.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Good luck with that.

Usually by this time of his healthy 3 year career, with the experienced games and rotational reps he's been getting that you'd see something, ..some kind of mere flash,
or bright spot or impressive ability and potential, but all there has been is special teams work.

Usually with a guy with average athleticism and physical tools, he has to have impressive amount of advanced techniques to stand out and become more of a significant player.
But Armstrong apparently doesn't have it in his ability. It's looking like what you see now is always what you're gonna get. JAG.

I wasn't aware he was getting rotational reps until last year..........

HungryLion

Reaction score
I have no issue with Basham as a rotational piece. I think we still really need Gregory to stay active and reach his potential though.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Kid has a high motor, seems determined, and comes across as a player with a good attitude. All really good attributes to become/being a good teammate and player. He's still young and has time to breakout. If not, well, didn't lose much on the signing.

Reactions: BAT

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
maybe i'm getting ahead of myself, but i would think this organization has more expectations for Gregory, than just a rotational role.

i would think they envision Gregory as a Robert Quinn like impact as a pass rusher but with far more run stuffing ability on the edge than what Quinn presented.
Randy isn't on DLaw's ability as a pure run defender, but he's no slouch either.
And i do recall hearing reports that management was quite miffed with the previous coaching staff how Randy was being severely limited and

i'd like Basham and Anae to be able to provide enough quality backup/rotational depth performance to where Gregory isn't exposed to be burnt out and worn down from having to be forced to
play excessive amount of snaps and reps, because we had very little to rely on off the bench.
I think Booger expects his patience with Gregory to pay off this season and for him to be the star of the DL, as he was anticipated to be before the weed incident the week of the draft.

I watched him at NE and he was a handful because of his quickness and speed. My concern with him is his motivation for consistency because he can go from unstoppable to invisible in the same drive.

Gregory could be the star of this defense physically. Mentally? That's a different issue.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
https://jetsxfactor.com/2020/03/14/new-york-jets-2019-season-in-review-tarell-basham/

Read this a few months back so I'll post it now. Seems like a do it all type of edge player.

Can drop back into coverage and be decent for an edge guy. Hardworking guy. Has flaws, but there's a reason why elite edge guys get over 20mil and he got 2.75mil per

Bash is more a Teams guy and rotation EDGE.

Would be best suited as SAM OLB in a 3-4 because of his ability to play run and drop into coverage.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Fine for depth, no complaints there....but I also expect to notice when Gregory isn't in the game.

I would ask why the Jets, who had all the cap room imaginable, and have no pass rush to speak of....didn't bring him back.

They must have been offering much less.

Basham is the one FA that wasnt paid peanuts.....he got peanuts and a soda.
I looked at the depth to, it is odd, but he might have just got the squeeze play, that Jets DL is deep, dont ask me why they havent won Lombardi's, im just trying to find where Basham can fit.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's a reasonable expectation, in light of the idea he may be working on a rotational basis with Randy Gregory. It's a nice thought.

Yes, its perfectly reasonable to think a guy with 7.5 career sacks in 5 years will get 6 this year.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Yes, its perfectly reasonable to think a guy with 7.5 career sacks in 5 years will get 6 this year.

Sarcasm, as usual -- he's young yet. More experience and better coaching may help his cause. If he can't get six sacks, it won't come as an unbearable shock. He'll provide good run support, if nothing else. He's a rotational player, so expectations aren't sky high.

Last edited: