Twitter: DE Demarcus Lawrence reportedly out indefinitely with broken foot

black label

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Many fans wanted the guy gone. Now that he's out for significant time, those same fans are crying the sky is falling. :laugh:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
At least partly our own fault. We draft and overpay players w/ injury issues. We paid DLaw while he was refusing surgery.

I said at the time we should have made him play under the franchise tag. He claimed he wouldn’t play under it and would hold out. We ended up giving in to his demands. He admitted after he signed he wasn’t going to throw away $17 million under the tag.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
How many sacks did JJ Watt get in 2018 and 2020? The years he played 16 games?

And pay doesn't determine how good of a player you are. He's a very good defensive end in this league. But the cowboys or whoever else was misguided to ever consider him a "premium pass rusher".

You mean those seasons in his 30’s? Some 7 years and a myriad of DMVPs after signing his mega deal? That is your apt comparison?

Would you have paid DLaw 20 mil a year he asked for if you knew this is what you were going to get?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You mean those seasons in his 30’s? Some 7 years and a myriad of DMVPs after signing his mega deal? That is your apt comparison?

Would you have paid DLaw 20 mil a year he asked for if you knew this is what you were going to get?
JJ Watt 3 years ago was the same age D-Law is now what are you talking about in his 30's lol? Come on man let's not do that. Let's not make up lies.

And I didn't compare JJ Watt YOU did that lol. You're bringing up these guys who are premium pass rushers I didn't see fit to do it.

I've already answered your question. I said I would've never paid D-Law that money because he doesn't rack up sacks. You pay premium for sack numbers.

Brax

Reaction score
I think for the most part, it’s people seeing the same thing over and over.

The last time we were relatively successful we had very little injuries. Starting two on the road, now week two we have a solid offense to stop. Our defense had allowed a staggering 35.1 PPG in Daks last 6 starts.

In retrospect, Mahomes scored 35+ once ALL of 2020. They scored 35 twice.

Brady did it 6 times last season. 5 of those games were absolute blowouts.

The problem is, this defense doesn’t allow for many mistakes. Dak is asked to play a near flawless game week in and week out. Our lack of red zone success is another reason why this team stays mediocre.

Losing Lawrence isn’t insurmountable. However, it puts arguably the worst defense in the league now down a minimum of 2/4 starters on their line. A possibility of a 3rd.

When you aren’t really good and you’re asking guys like Basham, Armstrong and Anae to take 40+ snaps a game it’s trouble.

Season over? This team hasn’t won a game in forever scoring less than 35
Some I agree with but a lot of teams have had bad starts for a few games, I know the history but DQ got paid to adjust his D lets give it a few games before the sky is falling. Dak is paid to be near flawless every game so I for one will with hold judgement for a few more games.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
JJ Watt 3 years ago was the same age D-Law is now what are you talking about in his 30's lol? Come on man let's not do that. Let's not make up lies.

And I didn't compare JJ Watt YOU did that lol. You're bringing up these guys who are premium pass rushers I didn't see fit to do it.

I've already answered your question. I said I would've never paid D-Law that money because he doesn't rack up sacks. You pay premium for sack numbers.

I’m saying he earned his contract many times over before he began to decline.

and your answer to the question is the reason people act different to DLaw than to Lee.

Compare DLaw and Dak. Who gets more unfair criticism on this site in losses? It’s Dak, no question. Because Dak plays the more important position, and gets paid worlds more than DLaw… it comes with the territory.

In the NFL, a star DE is more valuable than a star MLB, and the contract numbers show that. DLaw is getting paid dramatically more than Lee, dramatically more relative to the best at their positions at the time of the deal, and dramatically more relative to the salary cap. When DLaw is shut out for the umpteenth game in a row, 13% of the Dallas Cowboys salary cap is getting shut out.

It’s not weird that DLaw gets more attention and undue blame than a lower paid player at a less important position. In fact, it would have been more suspicious if he didn’t.

Last edited:

Paradox

Reaction score
People love to tear this man down but he does the unheralded work, such as being our best run stopper.

I understand some frustration about the Hotboyz brand or honest critiques of his inability to cover Gronk. But which DE can cover him? And why would Quinn draw it up that way?

D-Law being out hurts us more than these ignorant comments would make it seem. And I guarantee Austin Ekeler's stock just went way up.

jnday

Reaction score
Armstrong is a JAG.
Armstrong always looks great in preseason and OTAs. He totally disappears during the regular season. I don’t recall ever seeing him make a play during regular season play, but I might have missed it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I’m saying he earned his contract many times over before he began to decline.

and your answer to the question is the reason people act different to DLaw than to Lee.

Compare DLaw and Dak. Who gets more unfair criticism on this site in losses? It’s Dak, no question. Because Dak plays the more important position, and gets paid worlds more than DLaw… it comes with the territory.

In the NFL, a star DE is more valuable than a star MLB, and the contract numbers show that. DLaw is getting paid dramatically more than Lee, dramatically more relative to the best at their positions at the time of the deal, and dramatically more relative to the salary cap. When DLaw is shut out for the umpteenth game in a row, 13% of the Dallas Cowboys salary cap is getting shut out.

It’s not weird that DLaw gets more attention and undue blame than a lower paid player at a less important position. In fact, it would have been more suspicious if he didn’t.
Yeah but everything points to D Law doing his job and what he's suppose to do. He gets pressures and he's great against the run. He doesn't have the sack numbers......

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Armstrong always looks great in preseason and OTAs. He totally disappears during the regular season. I don’t recall ever seeing him make a play during regular season play, but I might have missed it.
I don't even recall him making a play in preseason until this year if i'm being honest. I've just always heard about his camps he's had.....he must be going up against Terrence Steele in practice.

jnday

Reaction score
Dont know how much this matters now that I think on it.

Most games are pure shootouts with no defense at all, and whoever has the ball last and/or manages the clock the least worst of the two sides wins the game.

Not as if we were going to have a great defense with Lawrence and thats what we were counting on.

Most of you around here can't stand him anyway so what's the big loss?

Remember, Lawrence didn't give himself that contract while he had zero leverage.
Lawrence refused to have a much needed surgery until he got paid. Putting that surgery off made him miss preseason and some regular season games. He has plenty of leverage. He was the only decent DE on the roster. Of course Jerry caved in and rewarded him with an elite contract for his behavior. He is another overpayed player on the roster. A run stopping DE is not worth elite money when his pass rush is average.

Reactions: BAT