DE Jaylon Ferguson pick up steam?

Beaker42

Reaction score
I did. He owned LSU and I believe Miss St.
C’mon cnu, every play I watched against Miss St the ‘dogs’ LT owned this dude. I see very little to make me take him before Day 3. He’s not that good.

cnuball21

Reaction score
C’mon cnu, every play I watched against Miss St the ‘dogs’ LT owned this dude. I see very little to make me take him before Day 3. He’s not that good.

Owned is an exaggeration, but scroll up and watch...he played well against both. Put the OT on skates multiple times.

Gaede

Reaction score
I like Ferguson. Totally fine with the bad pro day if he gets sacks.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Owned is an exaggeration, but scroll up and watch...he played well against both. Put the OT on skates multiple times.

I think this is why we as fans have so much trouble agreeing about players -- we just don't see the same things.

From a pass rush standpoint, I'd take a player who gets one or two sacks per game, which is what Ferguson did when "playing up" against SEC teams. The plays he made against the big-league schools are probably his primary selling point.

I don't think you should be able to watch the LSU and Mississippi State games without being impressed with him as a pass rusher. He also doesn't do poorly at holding the point of attack or even crashing on plays ran toward him.

The only reason I can see to have a negative view of him in those games is his lack of effort in pursuit.

Flamma

Reaction score
I have him at #45 on the big board I'm looking at. If he's a steaming pile like people say, we'd better either trade up or look to safety with #58.

Beaker42

Reaction score
My main beef is he takes plays off. A bunch in fact. He plays lazy. If we take him I’ll be pissed but I’ll learn to root for him.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I did. He owned LSU and I believe Miss St.
6 tackles, 1 sack, and lost by 17.

Absolutely owned them.

10 of his 17 sacks came in 3 games against Hawaii, North Texas, and UTEP. He aspires to Tyrone Crawford status. We can do better.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this is why we as fans have so much trouble agreeing about players -- we just don't see the same things.

From a pass rush standpoint, I'd take a player who gets one or two sacks per game, which is what Ferguson did when "playing up" against SEC teams. The plays he made against the big-league schools are probably his primary selling point.

I don't think you should be able to watch the LSU and Mississippi State games without being impressed with him as a pass rusher. He also doesn't do poorly at holding the point of attack or even crashing on plays ran toward him.

The only reason I can see to have a negative view of him in those games is his lack of effort in pursuit.

It's obvious that you guys have spent some time in life studying game footage "film".

It's obvious that some other posters really have no clue what they're seeing when they watch games.

Some posters expect full game cut-ups to look the same as highlight videos.

My take on the videos being discussed:
Ferguson gave good effort as a pass rusher and against runs coming at him.

They often doubled him when they ran at him and often chipped him with an extra blocker on pass plays.

On some runs away from him he did let up too soon.

I don't know what percent of snaps he played but it is tiring to be a pass rusher.

Marinelli is adamant about players going 110% at all times but in turn he assures them that they'll get enough rest due to rotation.

Unlike Marinelli, some coaches don't coach DL to run down plays from the backside or run downfield because it wears them down and college coaches don't always have a deep rotation, especially as a small school against big schools.

Gaede

Reaction score
6 tackles, 1 sack, and lost by 17.

Absolutely owned them.

10 of his 17 sacks came in 3 games against Hawaii, North Texas, and UTEP. He aspires to Tyrone Crawford status. We can do better.

This is funny. Even if you take away those 10 sacks, which you can't because he got them regardless of the competition, he still has 7 left. And that's more than a lot of pass rushers in this draft.

Fact is, dude was a prolific pass rusher at the college level. People trying to wash over that aren't being fair. You can question his attributes, sure, but the guy got sacks because he's good at it.

Beaker42

Reaction score
This is funny. Even if you take away those 10 sacks, which you can't because he got them regardless of the competition, he still has 7 left. And that's more than a lot of pass rushers in this draft.

Fact is, dude was a prolific pass rusher at the college level. People trying to wash over that aren't being fair. You can question his attributes, sure, but the guy got sacks because he's good at it.
Or the O-linemen he went against weren’t good at their job. Watch those vids again - he’s turrible against the run, and almost comically so because his effort is not there on a ton of them. So he’s either lazy or in poor game shape.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Vinny Curry racked up a ton of college sacks too.

Curry also played in Conference USA.

I wouldn’t even be opposed to nabbing him in the 3rd, but at 58 there will likely be a handful of much better prospects available.

Technique can be taught and improved. Effort and motor are something you either have or don’t. You can fake it for awhile but you’ll eventually revert back to your natural tendency. You give up on plays and it like the defense is playing with 10 guys. That’s a major red flag in my book.

Last edited:

Sandyf

Reaction score
He seems to have fallen on every draft board on the web but the only thing that matters is how does McClay have him rated and what does Richard/Marinelli like.

cnuball21

Reaction score
It's obvious that you guys have spent some time in life studying game footage "film".

It's obvious that some other posters really have no clue what they're seeing when they watch games.

Some posters expect full game cut-ups to look the same as highlight videos.

My take on the videos being discussed:
Ferguson gave good effort as a pass rusher and against runs coming at him.

They often doubled him when they ran at him and often chipped him with an extra blocker on pass plays.

On some runs away from him he did let up too soon.

I don't know what percent of snaps he played but it is tiring to be a pass rusher.

Marinelli is adamant about players going 110% at all times but in turn he assures them that they'll get enough rest due to rotation.

Unlike Marinelli, some coaches don't coach DL to run down plays from the backside or run downfield because it wears them down and college coaches don't always have a deep rotation, especially as a small school against big schools.

Agreed, go watch the tape.

When it’s down and distance pass rushing situations you see some quality pressure ability against SEC tackles.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He seems to have fallen on every draft board on the web but the only thing that matters is how does McClay have him rated and what does Richard/Marinelli like.

Frankly, drafting where we are, the only way we're going to get someone who is considered a prolific pass rusher is if there are some warts, like Gregory with the marijuana issues that were more deeply seated than I think the team knew.

If the only reason that Ferguson falls to us is because he is lazy in backside pursuit, I can live with that. Watching more video of him reassured me that he plays hard when he is pass rushing or playing runs at him, so I think in a rotation and with Marinelli going Marine on him, we can maximize his time on the field.

We're going to pick a player with flaws at 58. The question is does he project to be able to overcome those flaws or are the flaws always going to limit him.