Twitter: DE Kony Ealy to Visit Cowboys

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My question is why did the Pats let him go? And why was Carolina so eager to trade him?

From what I've read, he didn't fit in with what they wanted him to do. They were apparently looking for a replacement for the retired Rob Ninkovich and thought they could get that from Ealy. That included coverage and special teams duties and apparently, he's not too good at either one.

And there are also some questions about his attitude that continue to follow him.

Jipper

Reaction score
This would be a good value depth signing and a prime example of the cowboys strategy in action.....just can't overpay for the guy because he was a talent coming into the league....

Funny....2 weeks ago this board was about to implode but now it's back to normal bc the "process" has yielded favorable progress...

WeaponX

Reaction score
If we sign him, he'll be our typical "6 sacks in year 1 with the team" FA guy from the past few years - Mincey, Hardy*, Mayowa, etc. We'll then use that as our baseline expectation for him the following year, and he'll more than likely disappoint. That, or due to his draft pedigree, he'll nab 6 sacks and sign with someone else in 2019.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
If we sign him, he'll be our typical "6 sacks in year 1 with the team" FA guy from the past few years - Mincey, Hardy*, Mayowa, etc. We'll then use that as our baseline expectation for him the following year, and he'll more than likely disappoint. That, or due to his draft pedigree, he'll nab 6 sacks and sign with someone else in 2019.

And I'd be cool with that, honestly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Rod can do one thing it’s coach up the DL.

I'd be more specific on that. He can teach pass rush techniques well. I think it's all about "getting upfield" with him and I think that leaves his players and his scheme vulnerable to the run.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Up until last year, he was consistently in that range. Four sacks his first year and five each the next two. His ceiling might be higher than that, but generally, he would be considered the next guy up for that rotational role.

Realistically, we've got three "ends" on the roster right now who had more than one sack last season: Lawrence (14.5 last year), Charlton (3) and Crawford (4). Tapper had one in two games, but those are the only games he's played in, and Jones had one in four (and a best of 3.5 his rookie year in 2013). Gregory has had 1 in 14 games. (All three have potential for more.)

Jones and Crawford also have that all-important position flex where we can use them as inside pass rushers as part of the rotation.

If we sign Ealy, the DL might look like this:

DEs Lawrence, Charlton, Ealy, Tapper, Gregory

3-techs Irving, Crawford, Jones

1-techs Collins, Price

That's 10 without using a draft pick at the position, and with Neal and Ash being bumped off the roster if Gregory gets reinstated and Tapper can stay healthy.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Up until last year, he was consistently in that range. Four sacks his first year and five each the next two. His ceiling might be higher than that, but generally, he would be considered the next guy up for that rotational role.

Realistically, we've got three "ends" on the roster right now who had more than one sack last season: Lawrence (14.5 last year), Charlton (3) and Crawford (4). Tapper had one in two games, but those are the only games he's played in, and Jones had one in four (and a best of 3.5 his rookie year in 2013). Gregory has had 1 in 14 games. (All three have potential for more.)

Jones and Crawford also have that all-important position flex where we can use them as inside pass rushers as part of the rotation.

1-techs Collins, Price

That's 10 without using a draft pick at the position, and with Neal and Ash being bumped off the roster if Gregory gets reinstated and Tapper can stay healthy.
Good breakdown of DL -think Dallas would be in good shape with these DL.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
This would be a good value depth signing and a prime example of the cowboys strategy in action.....just can't overpay for the guy because he was a talent coming into the league....

Funny....2 weeks ago this board was about to implode but now it's back to normal bc the "process" has yielded favorable progress...

Why does the bolded keep coming up. This hasn't been about the process or anything like that. It is about cap dollars we had tied to too many guys and not being able to sign some people. You also don't know if any of these second tier guys are "favorable." Last year they weren't and Stephen admitted that. The process is 8 years in so let's pump the brakes and see if these guys can play.

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score

1-techs Collins, Price

They want to play like Seattle of old. Constant pressure on the QB, with constant D-line rotation.

MeAgain

Reaction score
If he is that tall and that fast, then why not bulk his *** up and make a big fat nasty attitude guy in the middle to disrupt all of the Sheagle ol. He would need to be around 330 to 350 . Feed him a TACO, with HOT sauce, and a big helping of what Zeek always eats!!!!!
Bunk him with Dez ! Then he would get nasty and big. Feed him garlic on game day and tell him to get in their face!!!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd be more specific on that. He can teach pass rush techniques well. I think it's all about "getting upfield" with him and I think that leaves his players and his scheme vulnerable to the run.

That sure seemed to be the case last year. A lot more pressure on the QB than the previous year, but a lot more running lanes too.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ealy is a journeyman bust. I got no problem taking a flier on guys, but this is the equivalent of the Demontre Moore flier we took last year. It probably won't work, but it won't cost us anything.

I like this guy even less than Moore, though, because his rep is that he doesn't take coaching well. At least Moore was just a competitive idiot.