Twitter: DE Kony Ealy to Visit Cowboys

jrumann59

Reaction score
That sure seemed to be the case last year. A lot more pressure on the QB than the previous year, but a lot more running lanes too.
Anthony Spencer syndrome, avoid a blocker as opposed to beating the blocker....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anthony Spencer syndrome, avoid a blocker as opposed to beating the blocker....

Spencer was a frustrating player. Frequently got off with the first step quick enough that the OT didn't lock onto him in the chest, and he would get close to the QB, but ultimately he needed to muscle through that last step or two to finish it off. He either didn't have that, or just never understood it.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Spencer was a frustrating player. Frequently got off with the first step quick enough that the OT didn't lock onto him in the chest, and he would get close to the QB, but ultimately he needed to muscle through that last step or two to finish it off. He either didn't have that, or just never understood it.
he also like to hop around blocks and create a running lane for a QB or RB. he was a soft player, so much promise but he was worried more about sacks and less about everything else.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Ealy is a journeyman bust. I got no problem taking a flier on guys, but this is the equivalent of the Demontre Moore flier we took last year. It probably won't work, but it won't cost us anything.

I like this guy even less than Moore, though, because his rep is that he doesn't take coaching well. At least Moore was just a competitive idiot.

Ealy has had three years of production, and one bad year.
Moore has never been productive.

Ealy's former team wants him back, Moore's former teams wanted nothing to do with him.

Moore was well known for not taking direction well, even worse than Ealy.

I can guarantee if we sign Ealy, it won't be for 2 years at the minimum like we did with Moore. It'll likely be near the $1.5M-$2M range.

I don't see a plausible argument to prefer Moore pver Ealy, its just not there.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he also like to hop around blocks and create a running lane for a QB or RB. he was a soft player, so much promise but he was worried more about sacks and less about everything else.

He was a soft player. Had decent quickness for the position, but that only goes so far if there isn't some strength and physicality to go along with it. Rarely does a player run completely by the blocker and have an open path to the QB, so there has to be more to finish off the job. The path of least resistance often results in running past the target.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ealy has had three years of production, and one bad year.
Moore has never been productive.

Ealy's former team wants him back, Moore's former teams wanted nothing to do with him.

Moore was well known for not taking direction well, even worse than Ealy.

I can guarantee if we sign Ealy, it won't be for 2 years at the minimum like we did with Moore. It'll likely be near the $1.5M-$2M range.

I don't see a plausible argument to prefer Moore pver Ealy, its just not there.

Meh. 11 sacks and 45 tackles in 47 games the last three years, v. 10 sacks and 43 tackles in 34 games in Moore's three years prior to coming to Dallas. Comparable guys production-wise. Moore's problems are with his temperament, which is why he was cheap and is now out of football. I agree that Ealy's issues in that regard aren't as significant. I also agree he'd probably get paid a bit more, as a result.

But in terms of his likely impact on the field: about the same as far as I'm concerned. I don't mind the signing, but I'm not doing backflips just because I recognize the name from the first round a couple years back.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Meh. 11 sacks and 45 tackles in 47 games the last three years, v. 10 sacks and 43 tackles in 34 games in Moore's three years prior to coming to Dallas. Comparable guys production-wise. Moore's problems are with his temperament, which is why he was cheap and is now out of football. I agree that Ealy's issues in that regard aren't as significant. I also agree he'd probably get paid a bit more, as a result.

But in terms of his likely impact on the field: about the same as far as I'm concerned. I don't mind the signing, but I'm not doing backflips just because I recognize the name from the first round a couple years back.

Don't the Jets run a 3-4 defense? If so, could that explain why Ealy was less effective last year?

Carson

Reaction score
Don't the Jets run a 3-4 defense? If so, could that explain why Ealy was less effective last year?

They may. But a lot of films I watched he lines up on the right defensive end side.

But that is also limited lol, so he could’ve took 20 snaps from the 4-3 and that’s all I watched

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think they're a base 3-4, yeah. IIRC, when he went there he was supposed to be one-gapping more and it was a better fit for him. I didn't see him with the Jets at all, though. I know he had the one huge game against JAX (?) where he had the four PDs after his sister died or whatever. That's all I remember from him.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Im curious, why would you use Ealy's 2017 stats, and choose not to use his 2014 stats? Seems an awful lot like cherry picking.

While also only using Moore's most productive seasons.

That's entirely disingenuous.

Just use the 4 years they played before joining and possibly joining the boys. It's a much easier comp than cherry picking which years you want to use for comparison for no reason.

Four years before:
Ealy: 15 sacks and 94 tackles
Moore: 10 sacks and 71 tackles

Those are vrry large differences, and favor Ealy heavily.

Not gonna lie, I like you as a poster and am very disappointed you'd present this in such a way.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im curious, why would you use Ealy's 2017 stats, and choose not to use his 2014 stats? Seems an awful lot like cherry picking.

While also only using Moore's most productive seasons.

That's entirely disingenuous.

Just use the 4 years they played before joining and possibly joining the boys. It's a much easier comp than cherry picking which years you want to use for comparison for no reason.

Four years before:
Ealy: 15 sacks and 94 tackles
Moore: 10 sacks and 71 tackles

Those are vrry large differences, and favor Ealy heavily.

Not gonna lie, I like you as a poster and am very disappointed you'd present this in such a way.

As I said in the post, I used the last three years from both players. I did that because I thought it was a fairly representative sample, even though Moore played in several fewer games during that period, and because it made the point sufficiently that they had been delivering comparable production over the last couple of seasons. And because I was too lazy to dig into how much each player had actually played given Moore had been in the league longer but had had a couple of seasons where he wasn't active on game day very often as his attitude got him batted around from team to team.

If we'd been debating which player had had the more productive career, I'd have used career stats. Nothing wrong with using a recent sample to make a point as long as you explain the period you're using. It wasn't even sort of disingenuous, and it wasn't for no reason, either. I was just looking at what the two guys had delivered recently.

But since you pointed it out, I went and took the trouble to dig it up to see how productive each guy actually was for the snaps he actually played:

Ealy:
Career snaps: 2268
Career sacks/sack rate: 15 / 0.66%
Career tackles/tackle rate: 54 / 2.38%
Games played: 62

Moore:
Career snaps: 1462
Career sacks/sack rate: 10 / 0.68%
Career tackles/tackle rate: 55 / 3.76%
Games played: 52

So, adjusted for playing time, but taking every season for both players into account, Moore actually delivered sacks at a very slightly higher rate, and tackles at a significantly higher rate.

Not that I think this is the most reasonable way to compare these two players. But at a high level, in terms of how significant I consider an Ealy signing, yeah, he's likely to deliver more or less the same level of impact Demontre Moore delivered.

DiResta

Reaction score
if Marinelli can get Jeremy Mincey rolling
he surely can work with a guy like Ealy

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
As I said in the post, I used the last three years from both players. I did that because I thought it was a fairly representative sample, even though Moore played in several fewer games during that period, and because it made the point sufficiently that they had been delivering comparable production over the last couple of seasons. And because I was too lazy to dig into how much each player had actually played given Moore had been in the league longer but had had a couple of seasons where he wasn't active on game day very often as his attitude got him batted around from team to team.

If we'd been debating which player had had the more productive career, I'd have used career stats. Nothing wrong with using a recent sample to make a point as long as you explain the period you're using. It wasn't even sort of disingenuous, and it wasn't for no reason, either. I was just looking at what the two guys had delivered recently.

But since you pointed it out, I went and took the trouble to dig it up to see how productive each guy actually was for the snaps he actually played:

Ealy:
Career snaps: 2268
Career sacks/sack rate: 15 / 0.66%
Career tackles/tackle rate: 54 / 2.38%
Games played: 62

Moore:
Career snaps: 1462
Career sacks/sack rate: 10 / 0.68%
Career tackles/tackle rate: 55 / 3.76%
Games played: 52

So, adjusted for playing time, but taking every season for both players into account, Moore actually delivered sacks at a very slightly higher rate, and tackles at a significantly higher rate.

Not that I think this is the most reasonable way to compare these two players. But at a high level, in terms of how significant I consider an Ealy signing, yeah, he's likely to deliver more or less the same level of impact Demontre Moore delivered.

This is more of what I was expecting. Kudos.