DE Robert Quinn will be a free agent next year in 2020

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A reason why I believe Quinn came so cheap in this trade was because of health concerns – primarily his previous back issues that caused his decline in production with the Rams.
And I dunno how much figured into the Fins going to a 3-4 scheme that didn’t seem to suit quinn play either.

For a player that once compiled 19 sacks in a single season (with the Rams) it’s amazing how we acquired him so cheaply.
Cowboys obviously did their due diligence with his character and medical issue. And it was clearly a low risk/high reward that seems to have paid off big time in the early goings.

Imo, contrary to opinions I don’t think Dlaw has anything to do with the success coming from Quinn.
Law not getting double team near as much as people want to give the excuse as such.
What I do believe is out of the gate for the season.. Dlaw seems to have been slowed by lengthy recovery and long layoff, to hopefully there isn’t any lingering effect from post surgery and it doesn’t help
And a very recent bone bruise injury to his leg is making matters more difficult.

But what I’m hoping to see is as the season goes on to this 5th game is , DLaw gradually seems to getting a bit more effective in getting off one on one blocks and he’s showing up
a bit more into the backfield, not quite yet there in ’18 form

DLAW lead the league in double team blocks going into the Saints game. That is not a belief. It is a statistical fact. Quinn is a good player. When teams can't double team him b/c the guy on the other side is getting all the attention, he becomes a great player.

quickccc

Reaction score
DLAW lead the league in double team blocks going into the Saints game. That is not a belief. It is a statistical fact. Quinn is a good player. When teams can't double team him b/c the guy on the other side is getting all the attention, he becomes a great player.

yeh, someone else recently posted Maliek Collins led the NFL in double team blocks. :rolleyes:
not to say DLaw doesn't get any chips or doubles, but much of his time he's going one on one in his rushes
what they are trying to do is sent him in twists and stunts to the inside, in getting a faster path to the QB, as well as free surrounding players
up to have them headed to the QB's path (ala Crawford's looping twist & sack on Skins QB Keenum)

and when you have a ex pro-Bowler that once was a 19 sack terror before he was derailed by injuries, but resurrecting player that's beating an Pro bowl/All pro LT ala Saints Terrod Armstead, that's all Quinn's indiviual ability, and has nothing to do with Dlaw, imo.

Last edited:

Tussinman

Reaction score
I don’t get this notion that

Quinn is out of his “prime.” It’s like you’re saying he is closer to his mid 30s when the guy is a young 29, only 1 year older than Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack and 2 years older than DLaw. I do understand that maybe we don’t resign him to a 5 year extension but compared to the elite pass rushers, his age and from what we’ve seen so far, his production rivals them.
Age is just a number. He started super young so you can't just say "oh he's under 30" (that's like trying to say Tyron who needs back surgery and hasn't played a full season in half a decade is "oh he's just 28 no biggie"). By the time he's a free agent he will have almost 1 decade of wear and tear + a decent injury history. No team is giving him a long deal and building a young team around him. He like I said earlier is a proven vet with some inconsistences health wise so most teams will eyeball a 2 or 3 year depending on guranteed

Last edited:

Tussinman

Reaction score
Right and in the same breath he mentions how far he is from his prime and scoffs at the notion this is essentially a prove it deal. Strange post in which I disagree with basically everything said
you disagree because your over thinking it. This isn't politics where it's one side or the other. He can be an established/proven player who can't get long term due to playing almost a decade and previous health issues.

I could understand you not agreeing or understanding if what I said was confusing or weird but it was neither......

Last edited:

Tussinman

Reaction score
He's 29......9th season......, he's not looking at more than a 2-3 years deal with 1 year gauranteed IF he continues playing at this level. I hope we keep him. He's one of these guys whose been double teamed his whole life and is now been afforded the opportunity to go one-on-one (thanx to DLAW) ...... and is thriving.
agreed yet some think just because he's under 30 he's fighting for another long/elite pay day (yeah not gonna happen). He's a proven veteran whose trying to be more consistent so a team will offer him a mid tier length deal

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Don’t worry about it, the salary cap is a myth. We just gave an Ewok the second most money ever for a RB and still have to pay Dak and Cooper. Good thing DE’s are a dime a dozen like RB’s. If he’s smart, he’ll take a seat with Dak and Coop until he gets paid or goes to another team. Jerry already set the precedent with Zeke, the rest just have to follow. Sit and get paid.
You, my friend, have a one-track mind.
You're getting to Pappy-level.

Proof

Reaction score
you disagree because your over thinking it. This isn't politics where it's one side or the other. He can be an established/proven player who can't get long term due to playing almost a decade and previous health issues.

I could understand you not agreeing or understanding if what I said was confusing or weird but it was neither......

It’s more so that because he’s a bit older and been a while since he was dominant, a “prove it deal” isn’t to prove that he’s talented, it’s to show that he can still perform at previous highs.

aria

Reaction score
You, my friend, have a one-track mind.
You're getting to Pappy-level.
Am I wrong?

To quote Walter Sobchak “Am I wrong” “Am I wrong”?

Get over my hatred for the Ewok. Am I wrong?

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Negative

I appreciate his hustle so far, but the guy is to old to be signing to long term deals

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Am I wrong?

To quote Walter Sobchak “Am I wrong” “Am I wrong”?

Get over my hatred for the Ewok. Am I wrong?
I'm not getting into a right, or wrong argument with you.
That wasn't my point. You know what my point is.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We either sign him to a decent deal or get a 3rd round comp pick the following year. We win either way.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
Whether it be through trade or free agency, I love getting guys with one year left on their deal-especially guys like Quinn and Cobb. Former Pro-Bowl players who have something to prove.

Tussinman

Reaction score
It’s more so that because he’s a bit older and been a while since he was dominant, a “prove it deal” isn’t to prove that he’s talented, it’s to show that he can still perform at previous highs.
There's nothing to prove. Everyone knows he's good and can play. He just has no consistency due to suspensions and health. Even him having a good year this year won't prove/change what any team thinks of him (very solid starter but issues with long term stability). You can't change his past health + he started this year freaking suspended so he's not gonna magically become some long term guy. He's the perfect definition of a "2 year deal guy".

Proof

Reaction score
There's nothing to prove. Everyone knows he's good and can play. He just has no consistency due to suspensions and health. Even him having a good year this year won't prove/change what any team thinks of him (very solid starter but issues with long term stability). You can't change his past health + he started this year freaking suspended so he's not gonna magically become some long term guy. He's the perfect definition of a "2 year deal guy".

that's not how any of this works lol. but you have your mind set so it is what it is.

Tussinman

Reaction score
that's not how any of this works lol. but you have your mind set so it is what it is.
Even by what your saying this isn't "prove you can be elite once every 5 years so we can lock you up to highend contract" (yeah your right this isn't how it works) .

He's gonna be on short term deals for the rest of his career due to miles and injury history (he'll still make some good money do to the position he plays but saying he's playing for the right to prove himself for a long term deal is wishful thinking)

Last edited:

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Just say if Quinn continues to have a banner year for us in his ony starting year here with the Cowboys
ad he collects 15 sacks en route to All star honors (ala Pro bowl, etc) being that
DE Robert Quinn will be a free agent next year in 2020, he will maximize his prove -it -year and
set the stage on the FA market .....to the highest bidder.

Franchise Tag him ? if Cowboys do not re-sign Dak, that franchise tag would have to be made available for the franchise QB ..so but what of Quinn, Cooper and Byron Jones ?

and we are due plenty of cap amount in 2020 (55 million ?)

i know its so early and he just came off a (controversial) 2 game suspension, but it's looking so promising
for Quinn and what he can do for our much needed pass rush.
Where was this performance the past few years?

That's my question.

Honestly, I'd attempt to go Madden and try to trade him for a first right now.