Deal or No Deal: Determining which of their own 7 defensive free agents the Cowboys should re-sign

zekecowboy

Reaction score
With Jerry Jones saying the team is ALL IN this year, one would expect Dallas to keep a majority of their personnel from last years 2023 season.

we will play a little game of Deal or No Deal and guess which players could return to the Cowboys' defense in 2024.

CB - STEPHON GILMORE

Contract prediction: One year, $9 million
Deal or no deal? No deal.
Why he’s likely to walk: Money.

EDGE - DORANCE ARMSTRONG

Contract prediction: Two years, $14 million
Why he’s likely to walk: Money

EDGE - DANTE FOWLER

Contract prediction: One year, $3.5 million
Why he’s likely to walk: Money and opportunity.

SS - JAYRON KEARSE

Contract prediction: Two years, $6 million
Why he’s likely to walk: He’s just not the same player and the Cowboys already have a slew of these strong safety types on the roster including another position change from Markquese Bell on the horizon.

CB - JOURDAN LEWIS

The undersized veteran corner has had somewhat of a rollercoaster career as he has been good at times, and a liability at others. Out of need, the Cowboys tried him outside early in his career and that did not go well. Since, then he’s found a home as a reliable slot corner who plays with a lot of competitiveness and toughness.
Contract prediction: Two years, $5.6 million

Deal or no deal? DEAL.

Why the Cowboys should keep him: He should provide the Cowboys with some solid corner depth at an affordable price. He’s a tough and savvy player who could flourish in Zimmer’s defense.

DT - JOHNATHAN HANKINS

Hankins has been a reliable nose tackle in the NFL over his 12-year career. Whether it was with the Giants or the Raiders, he shows up in the middle and makes plays.
Contract prediction: One year, $1.5 million

Deal or no deal? DEAL.

Why the Cowboys should keep him: Mike Zimmer wants big bodies for his defensive line. Well, he’s already got one. Hankins may not be the answer they’re looking for, but for that price, he’d be a valuable depth piece.

DT - NEVILLE GALLIMORE

Contract prediction: One year, $1.2 million
Why he’s likely to walk: Gallimore’s deal won’t cost much, but he’ll likely choose a team that will give him more opportunities and better job security than what he’d get with Dallas.
I have shortened the information on the defensive players. Doesn't sound like Dallas is ALL IN if there only going to keep 2 out of 7 defensive players. Read the whole article at:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...n-gilmore-dorance-armstrong-johnathan-hankins

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Hankins was awful last year. I keep hearing from the talking heads the Cowboys should brink him back. :huh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This could work in our favor with all the no deals projections. As a change is needed.

However how realistic are the expected contracts?
Like I expect Gilmore to return for less than $9 million.

Reactions: CWR

Chasing6

Reaction score
The corners and Hank is all I would keep
Question do you need great corners with a tremendous pass rush?

Sign Wilkins and I would take my chances with tattoo boy playing CB.

Havic

Reaction score
Armstrong should get us a nice comp pick. I'd like to see Gilly and Lewis back. Maybe Fowler, I can't see much interest for him in the open market

Chasing6

Reaction score
Armstrong should get us a nice comp pick. I'd like to see Gilly and Lewis back. Maybe Fowler, I can't see much interest for him in the open market
Nice meaning the end of the 6th round meaning basically a 7th.

rambo2

Reaction score
It will be interesting if they really can get Reddick from the Eagles.

Aven8

Reaction score
Question do you need great corners with a tremendous pass rush?

Sign Wilkins and I would take my chances with tattoo boy playing CB.
We only have one tremendous pass rusher. One.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gilmore and Lewis makes sense and kicks the can of drafting a CB early down the road.

Armstrong and Fowler will get bigger deals than the Cowboys want to pay.

Kearse and Gallimore - let them walk.

Hankins - sign another 1 year deal.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Gilmore and Lewis makes sense and kicks the can of drafting a CB early down the road.

So basically let's run it back with the same team and see what happens? I know our DB's led the team in tackles, but that is not how you fix the run game.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
With Jerry Jones saying the team is ALL IN this year, one would expect Dallas to keep a majority of their personnel from last years 2023 season.

we will play a little game of Deal or No Deal and guess which players could return to the Cowboys' defense in 2024.

CB - STEPHON GILMORE

EDGE - DORANCE ARMSTRONG

EDGE - DANTE FOWLER

SS - JAYRON KEARSE

Why he’s likely to walk: He’s just not the same player and the Cowboys already have a slew of these strong safety types on the roster including another position change from Markquese Bell on the horizon.

CB - JOURDAN LEWIS

The undersized veteran corner has had somewhat of a rollercoaster career as he has been good at times, and a liability at others. Out of need, the Cowboys tried him outside early in his career and that did not go well. Since, then he’s found a home as a reliable slot corner who plays with a lot of competitiveness and toughness.

Deal or no deal? DEAL.

Why the Cowboys should keep him: He should provide the Cowboys with some solid corner depth at an affordable price. He’s a tough and savvy player who could flourish in Zimmer’s defense.

DT - JOHNATHAN HANKINS

Hankins has been a reliable nose tackle in the NFL over his 12-year career. Whether it was with the Giants or the Raiders, he shows up in the middle and makes plays.

Deal or no deal? DEAL.

Why the Cowboys should keep him: Mike Zimmer wants big bodies for his defensive line. Well, he’s already got one. Hankins may not be the answer they’re looking for, but for that price, he’d be a valuable depth piece.

DT - NEVILLE GALLIMORE

Why he’s likely to walk: Gallimore’s deal won’t cost much, but he’ll likely choose a team that will give him more opportunities and better job security than what he’d get with Dallas.
I have shortened the information on the defensive players. Doesn't sound like Dallas is ALL IN if there only going to keep 2 out of 7 defensive players. Read the whole article at:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...n-gilmore-dorance-armstrong-johnathan-hankins
Armstrong, Lewis, and Hankins.

Mcsports

Reaction score

Well said.
I’d like to keep Armstrong but he’s probably too expensive.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Be prepared to pay cause at least one ex-Cowboys coach is probably interested in them. DQ be like:

giphy.gif

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

CB - STEPHON GILMORE

EDGE - DORANCE ARMSTRONG

EDGE - DANTE FOWLER

SS - JAYRON KEARSE

CB - JOURDAN LEWIS

Deal or no deal? DEAL.

DT - JOHNATHAN HANKINS

Deal or no deal? DEAL.

DT - NEVILLE GALLIMORE

So BTB predicting Armstrong is going to sign the same contract with 16 sacks over two seasons that he signed two years ago coming off a 5 sack season?

That site seriously needs to disband. They bring nothing to the table anymore