Dean Blandino, Asst VP of Officiating, explains what a catch is if you're a Bengals WR

tideh20heel

Reaction score
the NFL replay system moved from "written rule of law" (on field ref judgement is supreme).............to the whim of a remote, faceless person who has time to think of and maybe even be contact by other even more remote faceless persons with a agenda or pr concern.

Exactly the problem. Since the process was ruled completed on the field the official in the booth would have had to rule somehow that the attempt to advance toward the goal like goal line was not a football move. That clearly is not indisputable since people have been doing it all week. The rest of the arguments are irrelevant.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The explanations keep getting wonkier...

Mike Carey, the CBS officiating expert was on with Ben and Skin (105.3 the Fan) yesterday evening. The hosts of the show did a horrible job questioning him, as they were obviously not prepared. Regardless, some insight was shed on the decision made by the referees and Blandino.

Carey noted that while Dez had possession, he did not complete a football move, and therefore was subject to the process rule for a catch that has now claimed the two best receivers in the NFL (Dez and Megatron). Carey’s rationale behind Dez not completing a football move was that, "he ran out of time" when reaching for the end zone. When pressed, he admitted that since Dez did not reach the end zone, he did not COMPLETE the football move.

Here is where Ben and Skin did their listeners a grave disservice. Instead of questioning if reaching for the end zone is the only football move that could be completed, they took a different line of interrogation. As Carey continued, it became evident that what occurred is that Carey, and probably Steratore and Blandino assessed the completion of a football move based on the result of reaching the end zone.

Since Dez did not accomplish this goal, he did not COMPLETE a football move, but merely started one. The reason he did not complete the football move is because he was falling and "ran out of time." Therefore, the process rule dictates that he must maintain possession throughout the process of the catch, and when the ball popped free, it was deemed an incomplete pass.

In reality, the football move is not reaching for the end zone, it is advancing the football. The goal of an offensive player is to advance a football as close to the opposing end zone as possible on every play, trying all the while to score by crossing the threshold of the end zone.

Judging Dez’s football move as "not completed" due to his failure of reaching the end zone is erroneous, as rarely does a play culminate in an actual touchdown. The majority of football moves occur prior to reaching the end zone. The act of advancing the ball towards the end zone is a football move.

As demonstrted by the video by Rathos above, Dez advanced the ball about five yards before hitting the turf. Dez indeed completed a football move by advancing the ball five yards. He did not accomplish his goal of scoring a touchdown.

When asked about Dez lunging forward and taking several steps, Carey stated that he interpreted Dez’s move forward as the result of the act of falling. In other words, the example cited by Blandino with the fumble by Bernard would not apply, as the referees do not consider falling as taking steps.

Here is where Carey should have been roasted. Carey admitted that Dez BEGAN a football move, but did not COMPLETE it. The emphasis was his.

Had the hosts been able to think on their feet (pun intended), they would have realized that Carey had just contradicted his stance on the steps being a result of the falling. Carey admitted that Dez was in fact reaching for the end zone, but did not complete the football action becuase he did not reach the line to gain. In reality, Carey (and probably Blandino and Steratore) were confusing the achievement of the goal with the process of the action.

Dez did accomplish a football move in advancing the ball. Dez did not complete his goal of scoring a touchdown because he fell short (ran out of time) of the end zone.

By interpreting a football move as solely advancing the ball roughly six yards while entangled with a cornerback, the officials are able to justify utilizing the process rule. Afterall, Dez did not complete a football move because he did not reach the end zone.

Carey outlined this quite clearly. If there is a podcast from the conversation on the 1/12/15 Ben and Skin Show with Mike Carey, I suggest you listen and realize that the interpretation of a football move outlined by Carey would be impossible to attain from anything further than five or so yards out from the line to gain.

The problem is the rule AND those interpreting the legislation. Common sense would dictate that Dez’s football move was to advance the ball, and he completed that act. At that point, the process rule is not in effect and the result of the play would result in first and goal Dallas.

By the way, Carey could not confirm that he saw the ball hit the ground. He related that he could not recall instead of standing by his initial comment that he definitively saw the ball hit the ground.

Thanks for posting this. Even having a bad rationalization for why the letter of the rule was not followed helps. What's bugged me most about the whole thing is the obvious football move just being disregarded and nobody explaining why.

demdcowboys#1

Reaction score
dez-bryant-catch-against-green-bay-replay.gif

There's certainly contact there on the legs. Whether it was enough to impede his progress I dont think anyone can say without a doubt.

Every time I see this catch, it makes me more and more angry.....

cej757

Reaction score
What pisses me off is Blandino always says look at the play at real time speed and not slow motion when making the call? Why in the hell do we have instant replay for then? The ref on the field ruled it a catch at real speed and those guys still overturned it.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
happens a lot during virtually all nfl games.........simply have to touch a ball carrier to get "down by contact"......Heck remember last year B.Carter and Wilcox even just failed to touch a downed receiver who fell on his own, and the guy got up an ran it in for a TD........down by contact is any type of contact, just contact

Apparenty, theogot, can determine , without doubt, what contact makes a player go to the ground and what doesnt....

thats....."special".

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I even watched the second video. The receiver only got two feet down and was stripped and Blandino said it was a fumble because he had two feet down. He also mentioned that you only have to have two feet down and have a football move common to the game.

Dez had three feet down and didn't even bobble the ball and took a leap towards the endzone.

Someone should send this to Jerry. Have him show it to Blandino on why these two plays were complete and Bryant wasn't.

Jerry has rights to sue if he so wish. I hope he does and ask for a 1st rounder as compensation and Blandino's head on a silver platter. That will end the ref's bias against the Cowboys or they will think twice before doing something sneaky like this.

Absolutely agree.....Jerry needs to lawyer up:mad:

mahoneybill

Reaction score
My take it took away Dez's ability to push off right leg as he was going down, which then cut short his stretch for the endzoen quite a bit also...

Hadn't thought of that, but agree that it looks like it would affect the trajectory. Otherwise he probably makes it on the dive, and then the fun begins agains regarding breaking the plain of the end zone...

Plankton

Reaction score
Then people will say the refs dont control the out come of games. lol

To say that this call cost them the game would be to excuse or ignore the many mistakes made by the Cowboys that actually caused their defeat.

The Bailey missed FG, Murray's fumble, Romo taking back to back sacks at the end of the third/beginning of the fourth, Sterling Moore getting abused by Davante Adams, failing to get a stop from the 4:06 mark onward, and never getting the ball back.

Yes, they screwed the call up. The worse offense from a procedural standpoint was not adding time back to the clock for the review.

cowboyvic

Reaction score
Dean Blandino, needs to resign or be fired. he was part of this. he was one of the decision makers that overturn Dez catch, which help end the cowboys season. HE NEEDS TO RESIGN!

Zordon

Reaction score
Dean Blandino, needs to resign or be fired. he was part of this. he was one of the decision makers that overturn Dez catch, which help end the cowboys season. HE NEEDS TO RESIGN!
search @deanblandino on twitter. cowboyszone is still letting him have it four days later.

cowboyvic

Reaction score
To say that this call cost them the game would be to excuse or ignore the many mistakes made by the Cowboys that actually caused their defeat.

The Bailey missed FG, Murray's fumble, Romo taking back to back sacks at the end of the third/beginning of the fourth, Sterling Moore getting abused by Davante Adams, failing to get a stop from the 4:06 mark onward, and never getting the ball back.

Yes, they screwed the call up. The worse offense from a procedural standpoint was not adding time back to the clock for the review.

Stop the crap. i am sick and tired of all this wehad our chances crap. that is not the point. Green Bay had their chances too. the lost a fumble too.but they didn't get a BS game changing call against them. they got a game changing call which helped them win. stop it, just stop it with this we should have won anyway BS.

Swanny

Reaction score
As much as I hate to say it but even with this video it doesn't prove the Dez catch was a catch. First I do think and don't understand how they didn't stick with the call on the field. But if the ref believes he is falling without the contact causing him to fall then the Dez catch is incomplete. In the Gresham video forward progress is stopped and once forward progress is stopped nothing else matters (i think this rule book is so open to each person's interpretation it's unbelievable). I think that's what's Blandino wanted to say but never said it. His explanation in the video would lead us to believe it's a catch. I think it's just a pissed poor explanation by Blandino

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Pretty sickening if you ask me. Obviously Dez starts to fall to the ground after contact or should I say tripping. Even with that he attempts a football move reaching the ball out. There's not enough evidence to over turn Dez Bryant's catch either. Especially to determine a playoff game.

Dez was not "tripped."
Tripping in a specific action, and it is illegal.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think -- and it's not completely clear -- but I think what he is saying is that he was only falling to the ground after the catch because of the contact. If you're not falling to the ground and you have two feet in bounds with control, it's a complete pass. But if you're falling to the ground while securing control of the ball, control has to be maintained throughout the process.

Thank you.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
Created an account and tweeted the link and tagged Dez. Doubt i'll get a response though.

Plankton

Reaction score
Stop the crap. i am sick and tired of all this wehad our chances crap. that is not the point. Green Bay had their chances too. the lost a fumble too.but they didn't get a BS game changing call against them. they got a game changing call which helped them win. stop it, just stop it with this we should have won anyway BS.

It's not crap - it's reality.

Yes, the call was terrible. However, if they took care of business prior to that, it wouldn't have come down to that play. TBH, they had 4:06, two timeouts and the two minute warning to overcome the call, and didn't get the stop.

If the call was upheld, and the Cowboys went ahead, the Packers would have had in the neighborhood of 3 minutes to either tie or win the game. Considering that the Cowboys didn't get a stop when they needed it, I don't think that it's a huge reach to expect the Packers to drive and score when they got the ball back.

In other words, this call, as egregious and terrible as it was, didn't cost the Cowboys the football game.