Dean Blandino's explanation

mugsybows

Reaction score
i heard it on ben and skin. he basically said no player can go onto the field and come off without playing a down. said that its only been called twice and its been called by tony corrente both times, the first time it was called it actually benefited the cowboys. he almost sounded like he kinda didnt agree with calling such an outdated ticky tack rule but its in the rule book and tony called it so.

they also asked him about greenbays love of doing a quick snap to get too many players on the field and how its really not an advantage if a guy is sprinting off the field. and dean said he agreed with that however there needs to be a black and white way of determining the call.

the NFL rule book and the people who implement it need an overhaul.

Last edited:

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
I wonder how many times Corrente was faced with that same situation and has NOT called that penalty. Not sure how common it is for a player to do that.

If it happens a decent amount and the ref only calls it once every couple of years, then he should be held accountable. If it only happens once in a blue moon, then I have no problem with it even if other refs never call it. The coaches have to know what refs call what penalties and be prepared.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'm going to start calling him "Boiling Blood Pressure Blandino" for the effect he has on Cowboys fans. :laugh:

lostar2009

Reaction score
We need to protest this guy. Him and Roger the clown has to go!

Maverick84

Reaction score
I just read Dean Blandino's explanation of the penalty on Butler in the Green Bay game. I believe that either he is an incompetent **** or crooked as hell. What an *** clown!!!!! That is all. Carry on.
good for you, wish I could read it too :rolleyes:

EST_1986

Reaction score
Had we formed a huddle? Did Terrance Williams talk to anyone? And surely....surely....the spirit of the "rule" was not violated. Just no reason at for that to be called. NO REASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was Butler but I don't think the rule is written where a huddle had to be formed, its a stupid stupid rule that needs to go

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just read Dean Blandino's explanation of the penalty on Butler in the Green Bay game. I believe that either he is an incompetent **** or crooked as hell. What an *** clown!!!!! That is all. Carry on.
There are times where I think the refs should be able to give warnings.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
It was Butler but I don't think the rule is written where a huddle had to be formed, its a stupid stupid rule that needs to go
My bad...Butler. But I thought the rule stated the huddle had to be formed...and the player had to have communicated in the huddle. If someone knows differently correct me. If someone saw him communicate with anyone correct me.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Just more complaining about the officiating rather than the real reason we lost the game, our defense.

EST_1986

Reaction score
My bad...Butler. But I thought the rule stated the huddle had to be formed...and the player had to have communicated in the huddle. If someone knows differently correct me. If someone saw him communicate with anyone correct me.
NFL rules say that if a player “approaches the huddle and communicates with a teammate,” he has to remain in the game to bar teams from creating confusion about which players are in the game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...conduct-penalty-never-heard-of-it-in-my-life/

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Just more complaining about the officiating rather than the real reason we lost the game, our defense.

There's no rule it has to be one or the other. It can be the defense and some bad calls.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Had we formed a huddle? Did Terrance Williams talk to anyone? And surely....surely....the spirit of the "rule" was not violated. Just no reason at for that to be called. NO REASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you call a gaggle of players standing around in roughly the same area a huddle, then on had been formed. Otherwise, one had not been formed. Butler did not communicate with anyone...he said the coach on the sideline called him back off the field so he turned around and left. Butler also stated that this had happened numerous times previously and no one had ever gotten penalized for it. In fact, you see something very similar in just about every game played in the NFL. I just think that was a case of an official being overzealous and wanting to show the world how knowledgeable of the rulebook he was even if the spirit of the rule was not violated.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Any QB in the league could do what Rodgers does regarding too many men on the field during substitutions.
However, I don't think any rule should be allowed to be abused, even if correct by the wording of the rule, to give an unfair advantage. If a team is in the hurry up, then fine, but rushing to the line intentionally just to get a penalty called while a guy is clearly running off the field and can't quite get there before the QB calls for the snap is just BS. That's not the intention of the rule, nor does it benefit the quality of play in a game. I don't believe it's what fans want to see, either.

The league should just tell Rodgers that if he rushes out of the huddle to intentionally abuse the rule to gain 5 yards, not with the intention of actually running a play faster, that they will stop him and not allow it. End of problem.