Dean Blandino's explanation

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Not sure what is deemed a credible source, but Cowboys fans are far from alone in their view of the Bryant play.
That is doing your homework. To that list, add one GM, three head coaches, an ex-referee, and an ex-player (all appointed by the league) who were responsible for getting the football move put back into the catch process with specific examples like "additional steps" and "tucking the ball away."

And field judge Terry Brown, who ruled it a catch.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
That is doing your homework. To that list, add one GM, three head coaches, an ex-referee, and an ex-player (all appointed by the league) who were responsible for getting the football move put back into the catch process with specific examples like "additional steps" and "tucking the ball away."

And field judge Terry Brown, who ruled it a catch.

The surprising thing was how little homework was required. Time has caused us to forget how aghast much of the football world was when that play was called incomplete.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
Not sure what is deemed a credible source, but Cowboys fans are far from alone in their view of the Bryant play.

“It was a catch. But the new rule and at the last minute what happened, that’s what the refs came up with. I never said he didn’t catch it. He made a helluva catch I was in great coverage. Like I said, it was good on good and he came up with the catch.” – Sam Shields, Packers CB who was in coverage on the play

“It’s tough to say that Dez didn’t have complete control of the ball before he reached out for more yards.” – Giants RB Shane Vereen

“Dez Bryant made a football play. If a football play is made after the catch has been possessed, then I don’t think the refs should take that away.” – Allen Robinson, Jaguars WR

“I by no means cheer for Dallas, but I have no idea what or how that’s not called a catch. That’s a joke.” – Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr.

“What do you think about the Dez call?! I thought it was a catch for sure. What a wild ending to a game. Can’t wait for the next one!” – Eagles QB Chase Daniel

"So you know I think some of those plays are bang bang and I think it's hard to tell, but just in regards to that rule in general, I'd say going back to its origination, last year in the playoffs, Cowboys, Dez Bryant catching the ball, lunging for the goal line and he obviously has possession of the ball, it's just a matter of whether your deeming, did he make a football move? There are lots of different football moves." – Saints QB Drew Brees

[/QUOTE="shaketiller, post: 7219339, member: 273"]Not sure what is deemed a credible source, but Cowboys fans are far from alone in their view of the Bryant play.

“It was a catch. But the new rule and at the last minute what happened, that’s what the refs came up with. I never said he didn’t catch it. He made a helluva catch I was in great coverage. Like I said, it was good on good and he came up with the catch.” – Sam Shields, Packers CB who was in coverage on the play

“It’s tough to say that Dez didn’t have complete control of the ball before he reached out for more yards.” – Giants RB Shane Vereen

“Dez Bryant made a football play. If a football play is made after the catch has been possessed, then I don’t think the refs should take that away.” – Allen Robinson, Jaguars WR

“I by no means cheer for Dallas, but I have no idea what or how that’s not called a catch. That’s a joke.” – Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr.

“What do you think about the Dez call?! I thought it was a catch for sure. What a wild ending to a game. Can’t wait for the next one!” – Eagles QB Chase Daniel

"So you know I think some of those plays are bang bang and I think it's hard to tell, but just in regards to that rule in general, I'd say going back to its origination, last year in the playoffs, Cowboys, Dez Bryant catching the ball, lunging for the goal line and he obviously has possession of the ball, it's just a matter of whether your deeming, did he make a football move? There are lots of different football moves." – Saints QB Drew Brees[/QUOTE]

Awesome post! I don't have any likes yet.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
On the play in Green Bay, by the time he gained control of the ball he was falling.
The issue has never been that Dez was falling. You can complete the catch process while falling.

“By rule, when a receiver with possession of the ball is in the act of going to the ground and performs a second act by reaching out to break the plane, that completes the process of the catch.”

Is Mike Pereira a credible enough source for you?