Dear Cowboys fans: Talent alone will never overcome dysfunction

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Go ahead and tell me what they tangibly are. Go ahead.
You don’t see the difference in how our owner conducts himself running football operations in comparison to these other owners?

I’m sorry. I’m just trying to take this all in. I’m just in utter shock over this testimony. It may take me awhile to soak it all in.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You don’t see the difference in how our owner conducts himself running football operations in comparison to these other owners?
Tell me what the tangible differences are. If it's so obvious, go ahead and list them out.

Your previous point wasn't about "how he conducts himself" it was "how football operations are run." That's two very different things.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No I didn't. Not even close.

Good hustle.
I asked you and you responded it doesn’t make any difference . I’d interpret that as saying no one else could be doing better. Please expand so we fully understand your intentions.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
And you’re here to defend our owner ?
No, I'm here because the "culture is toxic" nonsense is annoying. It's made up by people who refuse to understand that talent matters more than anything else in modern sports and winning is the only culture builder that matters .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Tell me what the tangible differences are. If it's so obvious, go ahead and list them out.

Your previous point wasn't about "how he conducts himself" it was "how football operations are run." That's two very different things.
They are so obvious that if you can’t see it nothing said will influence.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No, I'm here because the "culture is toxic" nonsense is annoying. It's made up by people who refuse to understand that talent matters more than anything else in modern sports and winning is the only culture builder that matters .
Why is it annoying ? You don’t believe there’s any truth to it.?

I’d agree btw that talent does matter.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I asked you and you responded it doesn’t make any difference . I’d interpret that as saying no one else could be doing better. Please expand so we fully understand your intentions.
That wasn't a question about football operations.

Pick an actual, tangible point and then get back to me.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
They are so obvious that if you can’t see it nothing said will influence.
Then tell me what they are lol. Go ahead and prove me wrong.

Tell me what tangible football operations problems are created by Jerry and the culture.

It should take you 10 seconds.

Rayman70

Reaction score
RIGHT NOW, we have better odds of seeing Jesus Christ return than we do seeing Dallas winning a SB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Then tell me what they are lol. Go ahead and prove me wrong.

Tell me what tangible football operations problems are created by Jerry and the culture.

It should take you 10 seconds.

I take on much bigger subjects than this everyday in the real world in which facts , data and scientific evidence doesn’t influence opinions at all so if a fan doesn’t want to see the difference our ownership has on how he runs football operations then so be it .

Perhaps you should start a thread on how our ownership is providing Cowboys Football the best opportunity to win with an ideal culture for success.

Last edited:

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Jaylon Smith phenomena is the result of having no accountability to other players or coaches - Jaylon, like Zeke and DLAw answer only to Jerry. If they are cool with Jerry, then nothing else matters. That lack of accountability to fellow players and coaches creates this loser/quitter culture. What a sad state of affairs. It never had to be this way but Jones insists on playing with his toy train like we are his fantasy football team.
Bingo! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob posts the same thread about Jerry every week. It's always baseless.
Thanks for faithfully reading, lol, although I think I missed a few weeks. We can disagree- no problem. I am surprised how much time you’ve spent keeping this thread you don’t like alive, but thanks nonetheless.
Yes because the 3 Super Bowls Jerry won don't count.

Guess Tom Landry wasn't that good, because he only won 3 in 30 years too.

This is just a stupid argument. You don't like Jerry, we know. The idea that there is just ridiculous dysfunction from top to bottom, unique from other teams in a league, is a fairy tale.
First off, the facts are Landry’s Cowboys only won 2 SBs, although the overall playoff performance of his teams far exceeds anything since. Comparing Tom Landry to Jerry Jones is in my view, a silly apples and oranges comparison.

No I haven’t forgotten those three SBs of the Jerry era, and sure they count. But it is getting foggier by the year. He didn’t win those on his own. I know of no other front office...well, other than the bungles, that keep the same front office through repeated failure. Surely you’re not cool with that.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
My friends- my fellow suffering Cowboys fans- Here’s some truth we all need to accept right now: All the talent in the pro football world is not enough to overcome this dysfunctional, putrid, non-accountable culture.

Let us count the ways:
  • For those of you hoping for the #1 pick next year, aka the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes. Sorry, but that won’t fix fix this mess.
  • We could acquire Pat Mahomes tonight, and it wouldn’t fix this mess.
  • We could add All Pro talent at every position, on both sides of the ball, and it won’t fix this mess.
  • We could draft the best pass rusher and run stuffer in the draft next year. It’s not enough to fix this.
  • We could trade the entire defending champion KC chiefs roster for this roster of quitters, and it wouldn’t make us much better.
Accept it- this mess, this stink is a 25 year rotten egg that is the responsibility and result of the 78 year old fool that still believes if you buy an NFL team, you are qualified to run that team’s football operations. Well, the truth is, our owner can’t. And his stubborn arrogance is the real culprit here.

Here is the cancer that eats this organization:
  • No accountability. If the guy playing GM never, ever has to pay a price for his mistakes, then there is truly no accountability anywhere else. That’s organizational health 101. If you don’t hold the people at the top accountable, you can’t anywhere else.
  • Because the front office is “soft”, so is its team.
  • What this team needs is a HC that has an “asthma field” again.
  • Truth bomb- there is no recovery with a guy named Jones leading football operations. Period. It’s over. They have crapped the bed for too long.
  • Hate to say it, but if there is no humilty shown by Jerry to take any responsibility to change his ways, all the talent in the world won’t matter.

Wisdom from you, as always. The only part I don't understand is the reference to "asthma field". What is that?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wisdom from you, as always. The only part I don't understand is the reference to "asthma field". What is that?
In Jimmy Johnson’s first season, during initial OTAs and workouts, he ran the hell out of those players. One of the players dropped out of running saying he had asthma. Jimmy responded by screaming, “Get your a** to the asthma field!” He cut a lot of players that first year. He wanted a strong level of commitment.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I take on much bigger subjects than this everyday in the real world in which facts , data and scientific evidence doesn’t influence opinions at all so if a fan doesn’t want to see the difference our ownership has on how he runs football operations then so be it .

Perhaps you should start a thread on how our ownership is providing Cowboys Football the best opportunity to win with an ideal culture for success.
This is a really long way of saying that you have nothing tangible to support your point.

There is no such thing as a culture for success, except acquiring talent. That's it. I don't think Dallas is the best, I don't think it's the worst, because it doesn't matter. There isn't a list of criteria that front offices should follow that always work. If that was the case, they'd all look the same .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is a really long way of saying that you have nothing tangible to support your point.

There is no such thing as a culture for success, except acquiring talent. That's it. I don't think Dallas is the best, I don't think it's the worst, because it doesn't matter. There isn't a list of criteria that front offices should follow that always work. If that was the case, they'd all look the same .
The culture we speak of is not pertaining to our talent as such . It’s pertaining to undermining the authority of our coaching staff where players answer to our owner not the HC.

It’s like the toxic culture our ownership created last year with Garrett. Or with Wade and Bill, etc. It doesn’t breed success with whatever talent or coaching staff we have.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The culture we speak of is not pertaining to our talent as such . It’s pertaining to undermining the authority of our coaching staff where players answer to our owner not the HC.

It’s like the toxic culture our ownership created last year with Garrett. Or with Wade and Bill, etc. It doesn’t breed success with whatever talent or coaching staff we have.
So the organization is structured so poorly that they can't win, but you can't point to one tangible thing in that regard. K.

Talent matters. The rest of this is just bluster that's a) speculation and b) irrelevant anyways.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So the organization is structured so poorly that they can't win, but you can't point to one tangible thing in that regard. K.

Talent matters. The rest of this is just bluster that's a) speculation and b) irrelevant anyways.
I’m not sure why you can’t grasp that the toxic culture our ownership embellishes doesn’t breed an atmosphere for success. In fact it undermines. That is an intangible factor.

We’ve seen it time and time again with several different coaches. Not sure where you have been getting your information but it’s out there if you’re interested in gathering it.

And yes talent does matter . And the fact as GM he hasn’t brought in enough talent to reach our goals is another reason to criticize. Maybe your not able to have critical thinking of your team and organization?IDK