Twitter: Deep OT class

Beaker42

Reaction score
Richards certainly looked comfortable in the pre-season. Would be great if he‘s the answer. Tyron when healthy is still 1 of the best in the game. We’ll see.
Not only comfortable but extremely effective for a rookie. Hopefully he’s been hitting the weight room for next season.

Eddie

Reaction score
We can't be held hostage by Tyron's injuries. We can't rely on him for a full year. If he's a UFA, then it's time to let him go.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the question is ..........are we leaving Tyler inside and drafting another OT or sticking with the plan for him to move outside and draft OG? Also, Tyron is playing lights out but he's a free agent. Are you resigning him, knowing he's going to miss X number of games?

I'm not we have answers to any of those questions yet but there's no way in hell I'm NOT coming out this w/o a future starting Olineman.
Yes Tyler stays inside and Tyron retires. Richards is the name a lot seem to be forgetting. He will be on the left end.

The big question is a center. My guess is they bring Badass back. It would be nice to drafted a future starting OL. But I don't see an opening for one until The President retires.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Yes Tyler stays inside and Tyron retires. Richards is the name a lot seem to be forgetting. He will be on the left end.

The big question is a center. My guess is they bring Badass back. It would be nice to drafted a future starting OL. But I don't see an opening for one until The President retires.
TBH i don't want him back - he is always playing banged up and is the weakest person on our o-line. I think upgrading the C position will change our whole dynamic of the o-line...that is if they can keep developing richards and keep tyron on a 1 year deal for 1 more season

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
OL, OL, WR should be the first three picks - I don't really care what order.

This is absolutely the year to move up.

CowboyDawg

Reaction score
I’m a UGA alum and fan, so I may be bias, but we have two 1st round level OL in Amarius Mims and Sed Van Pran. I think Mims has a good chance to be picked before our pick, but Van Pran would be a good selection and its likely he will still be available for us. He’s started for 3 straight years and has been the anchor of a stellar UGA OL.

John813

Reaction score
I think regardless of if the team thinks Richards could be the Tackle of the future or he's in the draft, I would bring back Smith for one more year.
He doesn't strike me as a guy who would bend the team over backwards for one more contract, and it's a fail safe in case Richards/draftee needs more time.
Odds are the young guy will get playing time at some point in 24

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
I think regardless of if the team thinks Richards could be the Tackle of the future or he's in the draft, I would bring back Smith for one more year.
He doesn't strike me as a guy who would bend the team over backwards for one more contract, and it's a fail safe in case Richards/draftee needs more time.
Odds are the young guy will get playing time at some point in 24
Have been thinking about Smith - who is playing very well right now.
His long term contract is up after this year, and as we all know, he has a lot of mileage on that body.
Outside the box thinking, would he be interested I. Staying on as our swing tackle position for another year or 2 ?
Pay him modestly (he's made a boatload all ready).
Does not see the field as much - easier on his body, but we would have a reliable, solid swing and still a great mentor/veteran presence for the Oline.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Have been thinking about Smith - who is playing very well right now.
His long term contract is up after this year, and as we all know, he has a lot of mileage on that body.
Outside the box thinking, would he be interested I. Staying on as our swing tackle position for another year or 2 ?
Pay him modestly (he's made a boatload all ready).
Does not see the field as much - easier on his body, but we would have a reliable, solid swing and still a great mentor/veteran presence for the Oline.
Who knows what his motivations are, but he's playing way too well right now to be a swing tackle.

He'll get paid to be a starter, be it in Dallas or elsewhere, if he wants to be.

Sydla

Reaction score
I’m a UGA alum and fan, so I may be bias, but we have two 1st round level OL in Amarius Mims and Sed Van Pran. I think Mims has a good chance to be picked before our pick, but Van Pran would be a good selection and its likely he will still be available for us. He’s started for 3 straight years and has been the anchor of a stellar UGA OL.
Mims, possibly. Van Pren? He's been mocked in late 2nd and 3rd rounds in most. Not sure he's a first rounder.

Sydla

Reaction score
Given how this is a really deep OT draft, you wonder if one of the first round guys may slip to us. Maybe a guy like Latham? Fashanu and Alt will definitely go in the Top 10 or so, but could there be a slide for others because teams may figure they can get good OT prospects in the 2nd/3rd rounds?

CowboyDawg

Reaction score
Mims, possibly. Van Pren? He's been mocked in late 2nd and 3rd rounds in most. Not sure he's a first rounder.
Yeah, I’ve seen him mocked all over the place tbh. He’s a great prospect though, would be an absolute steal in the 3rd round IMO.

Mims hasn’t played as much (only a starter this year and was hurt for a few games) but he probably has the most potential of any OT in this entire class given his frame and athleticism. He was very highly recruited out of HS.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Given how this is a really deep OT draft, you wonder if one of the first round guys may slip to us. Maybe a guy like Latham? Fashanu and Alt will definitely go in the Top 10 or so, but could there be a slide for others because teams may figure they can get good OT prospects in the 2nd/3rd rounds?
Possibly, but there isn't a ton of first-round talent at other positions. Out of the first 20 picks, something like 16 could be WR, OT, QB.

I also think, when all is said and done, a guy like Latham or Mims could end up at ~30 naturally without really slipping.

Sydla

Reaction score
Possibly, but there isn't a ton of first-round talent at other positions. Out of the first 20 picks, something like 16 could be WR, OT, QB.

I also think, when all is said and done, a guy like Latham or Mims could end up at ~30 naturally without really slipping.
Possibly.

Like I said a guy like Fashanu and Alt are likely pipe dreams but coming out of this draft with a high level OT would be ideal for me. That allows one to leave Tyler at LG where he can be dominant and we also then don't have to play the fingers crossed game with Tyron every single week.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve seen him mocked all over the place tbh. He’s a great prospect though, would be an absolute steal in the 3rd round IMO.

Mims hasn’t played as much (only a starter this year and was hurt for a few games) but he probably has the most potential of any OT in this entire class given his frame and athleticism. He was very highly recruited out of HS.
If they don't bring back Biadasz, you almost have to reach for a C. You can't bank on Van Praan being there in the third. Maybe if VP/Zinter/Beebe are all there in the second round you can punt the pick, but I wouldn't wait on it.