CFZ Defeating San Fran Will Ultimately Come Down to Scheme, Not Talent

TheHerd

Reaction score
We have the talent, just need to execute better and stop the stupid penalties. Pass rush needs to work as well. Be consistent.
We do not have the talent to compete with SF. They are better across the board. Their defense is head, shoulders, and chest above us.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Lots football left. Let it play out.
Dallas is still evolving. Especially the offense.
Dallas will eventually play SF. So another opportunity awaits.
Keep the optimism.
The experts here chide me for looking ahead to the 49ers.
me response is, what other NFC team stands in our way to the super bowl?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
When they just impose their will in the trenches, it's not scheme.

I haven't seen anything that makes me think we can do that to them.

quickccc

Reaction score
If we want to beat the 9ers, it's going to have to come down to scheme—not talent.

I'm not saying we don't have the talent to beat the 9ers, because I think they're beatable, and we definitely have the talent to get it done. But I think it will come down to scheme. In our first game against San Fran, we were still running the old, vanilla playbook, running Pollard up the middle, and calling pass plays straight from Kellen Moore's playbook.

The one TD we scored, came from motioning Turpin and allowing him to get downfield.

After that game, I came to the conclusion that McCarthy was lost, and in over his head. In fact, I think that actually was the case at that point in time. Then, we were told McCarthy stayed late at the office and had the assistant coaches stay as well, so they could figure out how to fix the offense.

Since that loss, everything has gotten better for the offense, including our red zone efficiency. And Dak is playing at a consistently high level. He even played well in the loss to Sillydelphia. We should have won that game.

Anyway, for us to win beat San Fran, it'll have to come down to creativity and scheme, especially on offense. I'm hoping our first outing against San Fran was a fluke and that our coaches were holding back and not showing their cards to San Fran.

I've been saying it since last year, motion, motion, motion. We have the personnel to move our players around pre-snap in order to confuse the defense, or make them hesitate about their assignment. San Fran's defense matches up well against the Cowboys offense. We're not likely to beat them with our old philosophy where they know what we're running and just have to stop it.

We need to keep them guessing and not allow them to get into a rhythm. The same ole plays, beginning the game by running our back into the A and B gaps likely will not work. We need to stay creative, run counters, reverses, WRs out of the backfield, roll Dak out, toss it, pitch it, and most importantly motion, motion, motion. If we can do that, we have as good of a chance as anyone to beat San Fran.

I know, I know. We need to beat Philly this week. I think we can, and I think it'll come down to some of the same things I'm mentioning about San Fran. I think we match up better against Philly but both teams are well-suited opponents as far as personnel.

The most important thing this week should be keeping our scheme as unpredictable and productive as possible. We can't let them know what we're running and say, now you have to stop us. We need to beat them with scheme, and passing to set up the run.
I would re-word scheme vs talent. They both go hand in hand.
Coaching places talent in the best design, best scheme, and best positions, but you have to have both coaching and talent.

A coach can only take you so far and do so much. Look at Andy Reid & Mahomes and the critical issue they
are having with suspect WR help. If they have either Lamb or Cooks, it would be a totally new tale of the tape in KC. But instead they have too raw rookies and scrub WRs.

You have to have top talent to help succeed a top talented, well coached team.
how did the Niners lose 3 games in a row ?
How did we manage to hold Niners in 1st half in '22 playoffs.
What do we add next time around vs Niners that we did not have, ..did not do this past Niners game ?

Heavily involve WR Brandin Cooks,.. pre-snap motion, misdirection, rub routes, bunch formations,
Wish like heck we could get Pollard going in both run & pass game (swings, screens)
get that Travis Etienne Jr. like burst and acceleration going..

Defensively that's on Quinn, ..vs run ... vs misdirection & play action, ..Deebo flex runs .. McCaffrey Kettle & Ayu ..that's on Quinn to figure how to stand ground vs Shanahan attack.

RoboQB

Reaction score
What Dallas needs to do, is get their head of security to pick a fight with
Deebo Samuel and get him kicked out of the game...lol

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Have to take control of the game quick and force SF to make Purdy win the game. Dallas has to get the offense rolling early through the air. If they don’t, SF will move into that ball control offense and pound the living hell out of the Dallas Defense. Dallas loses this style of game 10 times outta 10. Magic Mike has to be smart enough to know he can’t stand in the middle of the ring and brawl with the Niners. He’s gotta float like a butterfly and sting like a bee…..

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It will come down to:

coaching
penalties
turnovers
ability to run the ball…

and coaching. ;)

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't give a darn what scheme we use if we play disciplined football, and execute correctly, we will win.
We have the talent, we've had it the last 2 years, we just didn't execute under pressure. We never have under McCarthy

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Our defense held them enough last year to win, had our offense done its part. I think our defense can do the same thing again.. .I realize they hung 40 on us. But that's not all their fault when the offense doesn't produce and has to punt so often. Not really fair to entirely blame the defense, although it wasn't their best game. The offense has to do its part.

McCarthy needs to anticipate several possible/likely scenarios, and prepare for them.

We need to spend a day a week from now on preparing for San Fran and Philthy. The road to the SB will go through them.

Also, let's give McCarthy some credit. Facing Shanny that game is what inspired him to make the adjustments. This is a different team since that game.

I'm on board with McCarthy. He's still not perfect. But I can say I no longer miss Kellen Moore.
offense and defense both have to be better.

I like the adjustments. the only thing I don't like is out OL and DL don't seem to be physical and that's what it will take against the niners. we play finesse. for speed. we are soft.

JayFord

Reaction score
San Fran will out scheme everyone....

and youre completely correct....because that counter motion offense they run is the achilles heel of this team

pitt33

Reaction score
If Dallas faces SF again the results will not differ.

They have the upper hand across the board.

They annihilated the Eagles who are on the same level as Dallas.

They are the superior team in the NFL.

I’m just hoping Dallas gets in and advances past the divisional.